Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Late to this discussion but the amount of writers online speculating that 10OA would be on the table for Markstrom and Ullmark is infuriating. That kind of draft capital has almost never been moved for a goalie in the modern NHL, and the only exception to that was Cory Schneider.

Schneider was 26, had 3 years left on his deal, and just posted a .927/2.11 season.

The most similar move to that is 10 OA for Swayman, which I think everyone here does. But 10 OA for a late-30s goalie or 32 year old rental is laugh out loud funny.
Didn’t the same group suggest 2nd overall made sense for Anderson?

Reactions: Guadana

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Late to this discussion but the amount of writers online speculating that 10OA would be on the table for Markstrom and Ullmark is infuriating. That kind of draft capital has almost never been moved for a goalie in the modern NHL, and the only exception to that was Cory Schneider.

Schneider was 26, had 3 years left on his deal, and just posted a .927/2.11 season.

The most similar move to that is 10 OA for Swayman, which I think everyone here does. But 10 OA for a late-30s goalie or 32 year old rental is laugh out loud funny.

Schneider had 2 years left on his deal when he was traded. Also I think the Canucks did not get quite enough for him in trade but that's another discussion.

I think 10th overall for Ullmark is too much but I don't know what else the Bruins have that the Devils would want - I can't imagine them trading a lottery protected 2025 1st with Ullmark. Maybe the Devils have the right to pick swap with them, lottery protected in 2025?

10th overall for Markstrom and 28th overall + maybe a little something else is fair.

Reactions: My3Sons

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
Schneider had 2 years left on his deal when he was traded. Also I think the Canucks did not get quite enough for him in trade but that's another discussion.

I think 10th overall for Ullmark is too much but I don't know what else the Bruins have that the Devils would want - I can't imagine them trading a lottery protected 2025 1st with Ullmark. Maybe the Devils have the right to pick swap with them, lottery protected in 2025?

10th overall for Markstrom and 28th overall + maybe a little something else is fair.
How about #10 for # 18 /Mrazek from Chicago

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
You have to put Schmid or Daws in this deal and also it just doesn't work. BTW, I think Daws or Schmid is going in any goalie deal, there's no sense in keeping both guys.
Yea would not be surprised if one was added. As a base I think it's an interesting option.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Definitely not. There's a legit drop between 10 and 18. Mrazek isn't the type of goalie that you're trading that caliber of asset for. Toronto legit paid Chicago to take him like 2 years ago. Mrazek is in his 30s and has largely had an up and down career

You have to put Schmid or Daws in this deal and also it just doesn't work. BTW, I think Daws or Schmid is going in any goalie deal, there's no sense in keeping both guys.
Makes sense given that Poulter had a strong minors season and Malek is on the way as well.

Varlamov too, but that is an ever older trade and I think he was only 22 or 23, so he was younger lol

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Markstrom’s SV% over the last 2 seasons is the same as Kahkonen’s this year with 31 of those games being on the worst team in the league. There is significant risk going with either option, but one guy is an old fart that may cost significant assets. The more I think about it, the less I want him.
Markstrom is a non-option for me. It's going to work out terribly, and Fitz would have paid considerable assets for the privilege of it blowing up.

He oscillates between good and bad seasons, and will be 35. He already breaks down and implodes by the end of every season. What do people think his trajectory is going to be at this point? Paying assets for Markstrom will be a horrible decision.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
If that’s what it took, I would volunteer to pack up Holtz apartment for him, carry all his boxes down (throw his furniture out the window) and drive his moving truck to Nashville myself. Anyone chipping in for gas money?

I know it’s crazy, but I thought Loungo was going to be traded the year the Devils got Schneider.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

IMG_3951.gif

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Markstrom is a non-option for me. It's going to work out terribly, and Fitz would have paid considerable assets for the privilege of it blowing up.

He oscillates between good and bad seasons, and will be 35. He already breaks down and implodes by the end of every season. What do people think his trajectory is going to be at this point? Paying assets for Markstrom will be a horrible decision.
110% agree.

Id take Markström if you can get him cheap. 100% against giving anything of clear value for him.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

Are these the same people who believe Nemec could be on the table?

Reactions: My3Sons

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
2018-19 was his worst season in Buffalo, so sure, if isolate that more his numbers go down.

I'm not arguing against you not wanting him but he’s better than Vanecek. He stood out in Buffalo and I thought he was an excellent signing by Boston.

I don’t see him “shrinking” from being asked to be the guy, he literally can’t play more games. He broke down after playing 49 games in his Vezina season. Workhorse goalies who can play 60 NHL games are actually rare.

So his next contract is problematic. (I don’t like what Saros’ next contact will likely be either but at least he’s a workhorse.)

I lean towards Markstrom for less and then figuring it out, but who knows who we can actually get and which goalies already blocked trades to NJ.
Agree with most everything you said but I picked those seasons from Buffalo because he played the most games. Thought the years of 20 starts were too small to get a measurement.

Just think he's the riskiest of the risky choices.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Agree with most everything you said but I picked those seasons from Buffalo because he played the most games. Thought the years of 20 starts were too small to get a measurement.

Just think he's the riskiest of the risky choices.
I think he's better than Markstrom and would prefer him to Markstrom, but he also only has one year left and I'm not too interested in re-upping him.

I don't think he's elite, his 22-23 was the major outlier in his career, but I think he's a solid goalie. If we can get something out of him like Boston got last year, which is more of what he really is than what he was in 22-23, I'd be very happy with that.

However, I'm finding myself really jaded with the current goalie regime here. We still have Rogalski, there's just too much uncertainty.

Vitek had a solid season under Rogalski once.....So I keep telling myself that.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Askarov + 22ova for Holtz and 10ova..

Nashville was willing to give up Askarov+ for a top tier center prospect (Fantilli/Carlsson/Smith) but I don't know if that return makes sense for them unless they really liked Helenius/Catton and they were available at #10. Even then, Catton himself has said he thinks he'll be a wing in the NHL.

Nashville currently has a lot of youth at RW. Their last two first rounders (Wood/Kemell) were RWs plus they have Luke Evangelista (same draft year as Holtz) who just had a solid rookie season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad