Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I dont think Jack's injuries have anything to do with his size.

He went full speed into the boards lol.
that was just one of his injuries this year. then the fall on the ice that messed up his wrist or shoulder again? last year he was playing with a bum shoulder again in the canes series at the end. players hit the boards all the time they fall on the ice all the time. some are just more prone to getting hurt from it. i dont know if anything can be done about it but to not try and change/protect yourself better is just rolling the dice. i would put his chances of surviving a deep playoff run at 0 if he goes into next year the same

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
why is pasta and ovi still here ??? get them outta here asap

getting beyond ridioulous here ... we´re getting from best center depth in devils history to no top6 at all :huh: and yeah the team is soft, but thats no on the players, just saying ...

having 2 smaller centers on both top lines creates some problems itself. they get targeted left and right. we should be careful especially with jack. you dont want this to become a josh norris type thing.

and thats why our top6 signing has to be capable of playing quality center minutes. give our new coach some options. i am in strong believe that you will achieve better overall results with jack playing wing and if one of hischier/hughes or stephenson go down ...

someone mentioned bennett, if he becomes available, he should be nr. 1 target. probably depends if florida wants to keep their d together. they cant sign reinhardt and montour together

Jack has played wing tons of times so far in his career, and every single time he has sucked shit at it.

I really don't understand why people continually suggest this. And please do not bring up faceoffs in your reply, because I could not care less if Jack Hughes won 0% of his faceoffs.

Reactions: Darkauron

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
that was just one of his injuries this year. then the fall on the ice that messed up his wrist or shoulder again? last year he was playing with a bum shoulder again in the canes series at the end. players hit the boards all the time they fall on the ice all the time. some are just more prone to getting hurt from it. i dont know if anything can be done about it but to not try and change/protect yourself better is just rolling the dice. i would put his chances of surviving a deep playoff run at 0 if he goes into next year the same
Yes, he has repeated shoulder problems which is why he went to get surgery. In general, the shoulder surgery should solve the re-injury issue but nobody knows the future.

The argument for him being injury prone would make more sense if he kept suffering separate injuries. His shoulder injury is something that was more likely to get re-injured after each injury, so it’s not a total surprise that happened to him. Shoulder surgery is made to stop that cycle. There was discussion here last year that surgery may have been a good idea to reset his shoulder.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Palat vs Stephenson at 5 on 5 over the last 2 seasons

IMG_1867.jpeg

IMG_1868.jpeg

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
dorofeev (still green) and stone (considerably slower) as his wings mostly, they play defense first, vegas in general ... but they had always multiple guys hurt and biggest proplem was generating offense from their defenseman. first pietro out, then theodore half of the season, both took some time to find their footing after coming back from injury and martinez badly declined this season. and while its not about points first with chandler considering all this, 51p in 75 games to call horrific or whatever, well i dont know. 13p on the pp, 3p on the pk, good at fo and versatile, ticks all the boxes.

for the same price, he would be much more valuable to devils then any pure winger. he was leading vegas in points all season when they won the cup until eichel catched him by one point right at the end (regular season) we need a player that can still play defense while keeping up speedwise with jack and play the body if needed to. big reason why vegas same wiith the caps

well if you come up with that argument, thats even more true for stephenson. if paired with jack as wing or c, he probably even outplay his next contract, 6M for 4 or 5 years is not really much for a versatile c especially with the cap going up. you constantly bring up scoring as a reason but argue against it if someone else comes up with a different suggestion

another pure winger almost 4M for a bottom6 guy, no thanks. not gonna work capwise anyway

yeah nosek replacement and he could be stuck behind a deep florida, still young, big and has a chance to outplay his contract. aside from haula and lazar who is gonna play c in our bottom6???
C/RW and pk´s too. good cheap signing otherwise i wouldnt be against bring back nosek

the Devils have plenty of cap space. Are you suggesting they cant afford a $4 million middle 6 forward? Thats nonsense.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
why anyone would put any stock in your player evaluations is a mystery to me, considering your history. it's honestly just hilarious at this point
There is an actual record to evaluate. . One of the worst first two years of any #1OA is a fact.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
apple and oranges

Most statisticians do compare apples and oranges. Both are fruits.

I think it's disingenuous to compare two different players on different teams. It's not a worthwhile pursuit, but we're taught to think that if we have the data then there must be comparative value. This is untrue, but far too common.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
dorofeev (still green) and stone (considerably slower) as his wings mostly, they play defense first, vegas in general ... but they had always multiple guys hurt and biggest proplem was generating offense from their defenseman. first pietro out, then theodore half of the season, both took some time to find their footing after coming back from injury and martinez badly declined this season. and while its not about points first with chandler considering all this, 51p in 75 games to call horrific or whatever, well i dont know. 13p on the pp, 3p on the pk, good at fo and versatile, ticks all the boxes.

well if you come up with that argument, thats even more true for stephenson. if paired with jack as wing or c, he probably even outplay his next contract, 6M for 4 or 5 years is not really much for a versatile c especially with the cap going up. you constantly bring up scoring as a reason but argue against it if someone else comes up with a different suggestion

Stephenson's most common linemate this season was Stone. That's not a scrub. His play-driving numbers were horrible, and maybe that is partly due to when Stone missed time, but it doesn't seem like a good sign that this big-ticket signing would completely depend on his linemate to prop up his level of play.

Idk, I think it's pretty telling that Vegas basically proactively went out and got his replacement, and explicitly decided they were ditching him. If this was the Stephenson of 1 or 2 years ago, I would be largely in favour. Now there are some major warning signs. And much of his game is based on his skating, which you should worry about it declining as he ages.

I like the Debrusk target because his scoring rate has been pretty strong without the benefit of high-end linemates or PP time (which Stephenson gets). He also manages to be on the right side of the shot/chance share.

another pure winger almost 4M for a bottom6 guy, no thanks. not gonna work capwise anyway

I mean, they have the cap space to make a few substantive additions. If you're not a fan of Foegele, that's fine. He's definitely not an elite player. But I'm trying to look for players who can keep up on the Devils' rush attack, while also bringing size and forechecking to complement their forward group. The number of guys who do all that starts to shrink fast.

yeah nosek replacement and he could be stuck behind a deep florida, still young, big and has a chance to outplay his contract. aside from haula and lazar who is gonna play c in our bottom6???
C/RW and pk´s too. good cheap signing otherwise i wouldnt be against bring back nosek

Like, I don't know if you've ever actually seen Stenlund play or looked at his career path, but he is a 4C. That is all. That is what he is. If you want him to be the 4C, then sure. But talking like his potential is being "held back" is kinda ridiculous. He's not young, man. He's going to be 28 before the next season starts. He's never even been a strong AHL scorer. Let's get a grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad