Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
If Russian talent like Brylin and Nemchinov are out there, by all means, come on in. Join the team. Chances of that happening are less than seeing a polar bear in a desert. Russia don't make players like that anymore.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Need Bulk?
IMG_4750.jpeg

@Cheddabombs

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Surely you can show me some Devils teams that had better center depth than this team does, since it’s such a ridiculous comment. A second place Selke ~point per game guy paired with a 43 goal 99 point guy. The depth is already fine, let alone what it could look like after the offseason or trade deadline.

If Nico is small, so was Elias, considering they’re the same size.
Arnott, Gomez and Madden. Gomez and Madden not the biggest guys, but they both had moxie.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Hear me out, maybe they realize that the kid's greatness is due to his shiftiness, his speed and there is more then 1 way to win in the NHL.

Shocker, really.
Also like, he's clearly heavier than he was drafted. He gained weight on his listed records. Like yeah, he did "bulk up". He's pushing 180 lbs. That's a solid weight for a smaller guy. He knew he had to get stronger to be an impact NHLer.

"he doesn't look bigger" is a ridiculous criticism. You put a lot of mass in your legs, you're not gonna see it on TV my guys.

Unless the other poster wants him to become like visibly obese

This was not the direction I anticipated this thread going in, but here we are
I am impressed Don Cherry made himself an HFboards account, but quite surprised he went straight to the Devils board

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I hate politics btw so if you think I have some anti-russian agenda from watching news media, that's not it.
I can't trust russian talents to come over to North America when they are tied up to their KHL deals. Having to wait several years for a player to come join your team? What kind of ridiculousness is that?
Besides, russians are just soft. How many tough russian defensemen or wingers can you name in the NHL for the past decade?

Statistics is any percentage outcome of success, not detailed analytics.
You really are grasping for straws. Good luck.

I'd LOVE to have Volchenkov back on this team.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
jack paced for 97 points this season, 104 last season and 94 points the year before (at age 20). he is absolutely a franchise center; the only thing you can complain about is his being prone to injury.

your posts are going to be great entertainment fodder in a few years, just ask jim how that works.

View attachment 877597
His first 2 years were garbage. Complete garbage....he didn't belong in the league at 18.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
i don’t know who this poster is but i absolutely respect his coming in hot guns a-blazing with a terrible take and doubling and tripling down
Look, sometimes we need the trolls to give us bait worth taking to liven it up. It was an opener that may have even earned 7s or 8s from a few judges and the bit is going on a couple hours now so that gets them a 3x multiplier, but they lose points for circular logic, "sheeple," and resorting to the "frEEDoM oF SpeECh" technique within the first page is a straight red for a denial of goal scoring opportunity.

shit that's the wrong sport but whatever.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Speaking of Jack Hughes, our generationally talent star, kid is always hurt. Every season. Made of glass. And I love the kid but what good is he if he can't be on the ice?
It puzzles me how the training staff haven't demanded him put up muscle since he was drafted. A big failure from the organization.

would love to see jack put some muscle on him or do something/someway to protect himself better. i really cant see how the hell he would survive a series against the panthers or in general 4 rounds of the playoffs.

Reactions: Billdo

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
would love to see jack put some muscle on him or do something/someway to protect himself better. i really cant see how the hell he would survive a series against the panthers or in general 4 rounds of the playoffs.
I dont think Jack's injuries have anything to do with his size.

He went full speed into the boards lol.

woody footbreaker

Mar 12, 2018
Stephenson had a terrible season. His play-driving numbers tanked, he became untrusted by Vegas, and they basically discarded him and already brought his replacement.
dorofeev (still green) and stone (considerably slower) as his wings mostly, they play defense first, vegas in general ... but they had always multiple guys hurt and biggest proplem was generating offense from their defenseman. first pietro out, then theodore half of the season, both took some time to find their footing after coming back from injury and martinez badly declined this season. and while its not about points first with chandler considering all this, 51p in 75 games to call horrific or whatever, well i dont know. 13p on the pp, 3p on the pk, good at fo and versatile, ticks all the boxes.

for the same price, he would be much more valuable to devils then any pure winger. he was leading vegas in points all season when they won the cup until eichel catched him by one point right at the end (regular season) we need a player that can still play defense while keeping up speedwise with jack and play the body if needed to. big reason why vegas same wiith the caps

Like I said above, Debrusk's rate scoring is pretty good. With more opportunity, his raw production will also go up. You're not gonna put up massive numbers without PP1 time, that's how the NHL is.
well if you come up with that argument, thats even more true for stephenson. if paired with jack as wing or c, he probably even outplay his next contract, 6M for 4 or 5 years is not really much for a versatile c especially with the cap going up. you constantly bring up scoring as a reason but argue against it if someone else comes up with a different suggestion

Foegele had 20 goals/40 points with solid playdriving metrics. Critically, he is good at forechecking, which the club needs. He produced pretty well with Draisaitl, not so much away from him. He didn't play exclusively with Drai, if that's what you think. Again, a guy I think there is more to unlock.
another pure winger almost 4M for a bottom6 guy, no thanks. not gonna work capwise anyway

Kevin Stenlund is a pure 4C. He is not a candidate to play in the top-nine.
yeah nosek replacement and he could be stuck behind a deep florida, still young, big and has a chance to outplay his contract. aside from haula and lazar who is gonna play c in our bottom6???
C/RW and pk´s too. good cheap signing otherwise i wouldnt be against bring back nosek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad