Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
If Askarov was available and cost the #10 overall, Holtz + another higher end prospect, do you do it?

How about #10 and Mercer? Mercer bouncing back will be too expensive to extend here. Holtz on the other hand will be cost controlled with similar, maybe slightly lesser production.

Reactions: mdj12784

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
If Askarov was available and cost the #10 overall, Holtz + another higher end prospect, do you do it?
We don't really have another high end prospect out of Casey or Gritsyuk. I'm also not entirely sure I'd move 10, Holtz, AND a higher level prospect for an unproven (technically) prospect goaltender. Now if they said 10 and Holtz I'm all over it.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Suggestions to add any unproven goalie assume that Jedi Master Roganski would be the right guy to complete the padawan’s training. I don’t care how many midichlorians the the young goalie has. I’ve seen that movie and it ends with dead younglings so no thanks to relying on Master Rogalski even if he is part of Jedi council member Brodeur’s family.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Suggestions to add any unproven goalie assume that Jedi Master Roganski would be the right guy to complete the padawan’s training. I don’t care how many midichlorians the the young goalie has. I’ve seen that movie and it ends with dead younglings so no thanks to relying on Master Rogalski even if he is part of Jedi council member Brodeur’s family.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Also I think the Canucks did not get quite enough for him in trade but that's another discussion.
Based on what? Vibes? In the modern NHL goalies don’t get traded for very much. Just kinda is what it is.

If there’s a spectrum on how valuable a goalie is, with 100 being “average facebook fan who thinks they’re the NHL equivalent of a QB” and 0 being “average bleedred shower thought where they’re all terrible and useless sacks of monkey sh!t”, it feels like the average NHL ownership groups considers them… like… a 20?

10 OA should get you into the Swayman/Askarov category. I’ll die on the hill that 10 OA for Markstrom or even Saros is bad business.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Based on what? Vibes? In the modern NHL goalies don’t get traded for very much. Just kinda is what it is.

If there’s a spectrum on how valuable a goalie is, with 100 being “average facebook fan who thinks they’re the NHL equivalent of a QB” and 0 being “average bleedred shower thought where they’re all terrible and useless sacks of monkey sh!t”, it feels like the average NHL ownership groups considers them… like… a 20?

10 OA should get you into the Swayman/Askarov category. I’ll die on the hill that 10 OA for Markstrom or even Saros is bad business.
To be fair @Bleedred has never specified the type of shit in the sack. That could make all the difference too so how about you leave some wiggle room to account for that .

• Haha
Reactions: Bleedred

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Screenshot_20240528-082439_Samsung Internet.jpg

Overall vezina winner Hellebuyck is in the same tier as Skinner of the top missing goalies and one is playing in WCF, other is playing golf right from the start. Bobrovskiy is 12th worst with his sv from 26 goalies. Ottienger and Shestyorkin are in the top(behind young kid Woll and dinosaur Varlamov), both teams are playing really well, good depth, star power, young cheap players on ELC who is making impact.

Yeah, let's trade best assets for two three years of aged goalie and pay maximum cap hit for it. I believe our 19-23 core young players will be happy with an 33-34 yo 8 mil anchor under the cap.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Really random but it kinda sucks that Duchene just wants to play his career in the U.S South, his choice obviously, but he's exactly what this team needs on the forward side.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Edmonton is rumored to have offered the 7th overall pick plus perhaps their 2nd round pick also for Schneider.

NHL ownership groups do not make trades. Nitpicky but it's like calling an NHL team's home city or region a 'market', it bothers me unless we are talking in strictly economic terms.

10th overall is not close to Swayman's value, although there could be some question about whether he can handle a starter's load.

The reasons why top goaltenders almost never move in trade is because their value is too high, not because it is too low. The reason why we have a discussion here about 10th overall and Mercer for Askarov is that if Askarov is a top goaltender who can give you 50+ games of .915 goaltending, that will have been a massive underpay for a goalie on an ELC, but you just don't know who the top goaltenders will be, and so the Devils would almost certainly not risk giving up both things in a deal for Askarov - if he's a .906 goalie that's an enormous overpay. Schneider was the closest you could get to a sure thing, but even he was well past his ELC years, and that was 11 years ago, when it felt like every year there was a 27 year old guy coming out of nowhere and posting a .920 SV%. The goaltending position has absolutely flipped since then.

Reactions: My3Sons

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Kind of a weird analogy but I feel like goalies are "illiquid assets" like a house, whereas forward are "liquid assets" like a stock. You don't just sell your house cause someone offers 5-10% over the market price. If you do that you will uproot your life, won't necessarily find a house in the neighborhood you want, and you'd have to then offer at least 10% over asking or more to get that house you want so you might come out behind anyway. You only sell your house when you're ready to upgrade, or when you have two or more houses and can't afford upkeep on both of them and need to cash out.

(This is also true of the star/core players on your team, partially why so many fantasy trade proposals involving stars are a complete waste of time)

This is why the trade for a goalie this offseason is going to hurt, especially cause it is very very much a seller's market now. Additionally I think a lot of GMs saw what Detroit/Buffalo/Montreal did this year and broke camp with 3 goalies and will copy them. I expect the goalie trade to hurt unless Fitz goes cheap again with a question mark guy, or adds two question mark guys.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Kind of a weird analogy but I feel like goalies are "illiquid assets" like a house, whereas forward are "liquid assets" like a stock. You don't just sell your house cause someone offers 5-10% over the market price. If you do that you will uproot your life, won't necessarily find a house in the neighborhood you want, and you'd have to then offer at least 10% over asking or more to get that house you want so you might come out behind anyway. You only sell your house when you're ready to upgrade, or when you have two or more houses and can't afford upkeep on both of them and need to cash out.

(This is also true of the star/core players on your team, partially why so many fantasy trade proposals involving stars are a complete waste of time)

This is why the trade for a goalie this offseason is going to hurt, especially cause it is very very much a seller's market now. Additionally I think a lot of GMs saw what Detroit/Buffalo/Montreal did this year and broke camp with 3 goalies and will copy them. I expect the goalie trade to hurt unless Fitz goes cheap again with a question mark guy, or adds two question mark guys.

This I agree with entirely except for the 3 goalies thing, I do not expect this trend to continue. Jake Allen couldn't make it more clear how upset he was about being part of a trandem. Having 3 goalies when one of them is on ELC and can be moved to the minors can make sense, and Devon Levi in Buffalo ultimately played more games in Rochester than he did in the NHL.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
There is no available goalie that is worth Dawson Mercer.

Holtz and long name 71 however are available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad