Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
- They need a new coach whose system has a good structure without sacrificing offence.
- They need 1A goalie to play with Allen. I don't trust Kähkönen so I hope Fitzgerald targets someone better.
- They need a top4 LD. Some UFA targets: Brenden Dillon, Brady Skjei (too expensive), Ian Cole, Nikita Zadorov (too expensive). Via trade: Brayden McNabb, Marcus Pettersson, Dmitry Orlov.
- They need a top 6 winger or 3C and couple bottom six wingers. Few trade options: Ross Colton, Nic Roy, Mikael Backlund (probably not available). Via UFA market: Adam Henrique, Vladimir Tarasenko, Chandler Stephenson (too expensive), Tyler Bertuzzi, Teddy Blueger, Joshua Dakota, Yakov Trenin, Warren Foegele, Brandon Duhaime.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'm too optimistic, I know, but I can reasonably see running things back with this defense depending on the coaching hire.

Bring in a LD to push guys down the lineup and/or spell Siegs or Bahl when needed. Let Smith walk. It's not ideal to think Siegs will need to be spelled for, but I don't believe he's just become an outright bum all of a sudden.

But I think someone with actual structure could get the best out of this group, who has way more talent than they've displayed this season.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It's sad looking back on this season to try and find the positive moments when many of them consisted of backbreaking defense or goaltending. But I did my best:

Opening win: Gorgeous goals from Jack and a beauty of a go-ahead goal from Dougie.

Islanders 10/20 - Jack goes ballistic all night and nets OT winner:

Canadiens 10/24 - Toffoli nets hat trick number 1 against one of his former teams

Islanders 11/28 - 3 goal 3rd period comeback win, something we eventually just could not continue to do the rest of the season

Jack to Luke for the OT winner in Philly

Luke goes all the way to tie it, Timo goes all the way to win it vs. Columbus

Toffoli caps off hat trick in OT win vs. Vegas

Timo hat trick vs. St. Louis

And of course, everything that came with the Stadium Series game

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
$6 million dollars for a third line winger past his prime. Ofcourse, I can’t stop thinking about this. And we’re trying to sign Henrique too? I’m dizzy

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Palat vs Chandler Stephenson at 5 on 5, who many people want us to sign:

IMG_1794.jpeg

IMG_1795.jpeg

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I'll be honest, I thought Stephenson was a better defensive player than he apparently is. Feel like I maybe had the wrong impression of him.
He is bad at least this season. We need better defensive center. May be its a good gamble, but on my taste with our problems its a gamble. And I don't think its good. We are playing without one center many times, so it would be better to have better option.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
- They need a new coach whose system has a good structure without sacrificing offence.
- They need 1A goalie to play with Allen. I don't trust Kähkönen so I hope Fitzgerald targets someone better.
- They need a top4 LD. Some UFA targets: Brenden Dillon, Brady Skjei (too expensive), Ian Cole, Nikita Zadorov (too expensive). Via trade: Brayden McNabb, Marcus Pettersson, Dmitry Orlov.
- They need a top 6 winger or 3C and couple bottom six wingers. Few trade options: Ross Colton, Nic Roy, Mikael Backlund (probably not available). Via UFA market: Adam Henrique, Vladimir Tarasenko, Chandler Stephenson (too expensive), Tyler Bertuzzi, Teddy Blueger, Joshua Dakota, Yakov Trenin, Warren Foegele, Brandon Duhaime.
I don't think we do anything on D.

Ultimately you have:
Siegs-Dougie
Luke-Marino
Bahl-Nemec

I'm not sure how comfortable I am with having both Siegs and Bahl given how poor puck movers they both are, but I'd hope for a situation for they defer to their D partner for the zone exits. Adding a decent #6 or #7 to push Bahl could be necessary.

Up front, the way I look at it, you have:
Bratt-Jack-Mercer/Palat
Palat/Mercer-Nico-Meier
x-Haula-x
x-Lazar-Bastian

We have a lot of openings in our bottom six and potentially one in our top 6 if you move one of Palat/Mercer down (likely the right move). Holtz, I don't expect to be traded but could be in a bottom six role. I'd probably move on though.

I'm all for getting Joshua for a 3rd line role and Trenin for a 4th line role. We are far too soft and I don't have confidence in our ability to keep up in the postseason with our current roster make up.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
I don't think we do anything on D.

Ultimately you have:
Siegs-Dougie
Luke-Marino
Bahl-Nemec

I'm not sure how comfortable I am with having both Siegs and Bahl given how poor puck movers they both are, but I'd hope for a situation for they defer to their D partner for the zone exits. Adding a decent #6 or #7 to push Bahl could be necessary.

Up front, the way I look at it, you have:
Bratt-Jack-Mercer/Palat
Palat/Mercer-Nico-Meier
x-Haula-x
x-x-Bastian

We have a lot of openings in our bottom six and potentially one in our top 6 if you move one of Palat/Mercer down (likely the right move). Holtz, I don't expect to be traded but could be in a bottom six role. I'd probably move on though.

I'm all for getting Joshua for a 3rd line role and Trenin for a 4th line role. We are far too soft and I don't have confidence in our ability to keep up in the postseason with our current roster make up.
If they fix the goalie situation with Ullmark or Saros, they can try the same defense. But without a better goalie, they definitely need an upgrade to the top 4. But I still hope they do both, get a 1A goalie and top4 defenseman.

I'm all for getting Joshua and Trenin for a 3rd and 4th line role.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
If they fix the goalie situation with Ullmark or Saros, they can try the same defense. But without a better goalie, they definitely need an upgrade to the top 4. But I still hope they do both, get a 1A goalie and top4 defenseman.

I'm all for getting Joshua and Trenin for a 3rd and 4th line role.
I think it is highly likely we will make an upgrade on G. Given how many holes we have, I think it will be hard to allocate resources to improving on D. Perhaps the trade deadline though, assuming we are a playoff team and if we still have a weakness there.

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC

We simply don't have the assets to fill all these roles. We have a 1st (which itself could yield an asset in a gap spot like center or power forward or mobile defensive D), Holtz, Gritsyuk... we have Schmid and Poulter either who would have to go the other way in a goalie deal.

We have to be smart. As Guadana shared over and over, many teams have done well with average goaltending. Sorokin was only 2 spots ahead of Allen this year in GSAx. Sheshterkin was 10th, Saros was middle of the pack. Hellebuyck was top, but he's off the market. Heck, Blackwood was 16th.

We have a lot of holes to plug. Losing McLeod was a huge loss, despite the need for it.

We could use another winger, we definitely need another center or two. We need to make our bottom 6 better. We definitely need to bolster the D corps.

But a LOT of this is system and coaching. That's priority one.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
We simply don't have the assets to fill all these roles. We have a 1st (which itself could yield an asset in a gap spot like center or power forward or mobile defensive D), Holtz, Gritsyuk... we have Schmid and Poulter either who would have to go the other way in a goalie deal.

We have to be smart. As Guadana shared over and over, many teams have done well with average goaltending. Sorokin was only 2 spots ahead of Allen this year in GSAx. Sheshterkin was 10th, Saros was middle of the pack. Hellebuyck was top, but he's off the market. Heck, Blackwood was 16th.

We have a lot of holes to plug. Losing McLeod was a huge loss, despite the need for it.

We could use another winger, we definitely need another center or two. We need to make our bottom 6 better. We definitely need to bolster the D corps.

But a LOT of this is system and coaching. That's priority one.
The last two summers Fitzgerald has done two to three trades. 2023 those were Sharangovich & a 3rd for Toffoli and a fifth for Miller. 2022 it was Ty Smith & a 3rd for Marino, Zacha for Haula and a 2nd & 3rd for Vanecek & a 2nd. I expect something similar this season. The big one is probably a trade for a goalie and smaller one for a defenseman or winger. Then he can fix the other holes via UFA signings.

Let's say Fitzgerald trades Ullmark and McNabb, and then he signs with Joshua, Trenin and Foegele. Or maybe he trades Markström and Colton, and then he signs with Dillon, Trenin and Blueger.

I agree that a new coach is number one priority, and it's okay if they don't trade any big name goalie but I want someone better than Kähkönen.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Is it too much to ask for an 8-10 minute 3 on 3 OT? If no one wins, it’ll be a tie. It’s ridiculous a second point is handed out by a gimmick that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual game played. I hated it from the start and I loathe it even more now.

EDIT- Sorry, wrong thread I think. Mods, please feel free to move the post if warranted.

Reactions: njdevils1982

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
$6 million dollars for a third line winger past his prime. Ofcourse, I can’t stop thinking about this. And we’re trying to sign Henrique too? I’m dizzy

two questions that I would like direct answers on:

1) What should Palat be paid?
2) What has Palat's contract stopped the Devils from doing, exactly? Keep in mind they were swimming in LTIR money for like 80% of the year and barely touched any of it.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

2) What has Palat's contract stopped the Devils from doing, exactly? Keep in mind they were swimming in LTIR money for like 80% of the year and barely touched any of it.
While I agree that Palat’s contract hasn’t been an issue for the Devils, I think the LTIR thing may be a red herring.

As I understand it, if the Devils used LTIR, it would also push bonuses into next year’s cap. I really don’t know how this works, so maybe it’s a non-issue? But just something to raise when looking at LTIR.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
The last two summers Fitzgerald has done two to three trades. 2023 those were Sharangovich & a 3rd for Toffoli and a fifth for Miller. 2022 it was Ty Smith & a 3rd for Marino, Zacha for Haula and a 2nd & 3rd for Vanecek & a 2nd. I expect something similar this season. The big one is probably a trade for a goalie and smaller one for a defenseman or winger. Then he can fix the other holes via UFA signings.

Let's say Fitzgerald trades Ullmark and McNabb, and then he signs with Joshua, Trenin and Foegele. Or maybe he trades Markström and Colton, and then he signs with Dillon, Trenin and Blueger.

I agree that a new coach is number one priority, and it's okay if they don't trade any big name goalie but I want someone better than Kähkönen.
Ullmark would be great IMO as long as the price isn't too absurd given he has 1 more year on his deal.

McNabb is 33 so I'd have concern over his age and contract that we would get.

I'm all for Joshua and Trenin.

Not sure about Colton, he is signed for 3 more years at $4M. Not sure he is worth that deal or even available.

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
We knew Palat would not be worth his contract when we signed him but at least he is competent defensively. I have concerns about how he ages but we should have plenty of cap space for next year.

Hope he can be productive in the playoffs, but we are very likely stuck with his contract.

Reactions: theoptimist

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
I still think there’s a good chance, yes.

I have a business partner that I’m friendly with that lives in Pittsburgh and is a huge Penguins fan (he was a coach and his son’s team was just honored at a Pens’ game for winning a State championship). He tells me Sullivan is very much on the hot seat and hates it. Says Sullivan is a great coach and person. Dubas may want to leave his own stamp on this team though…

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I have a business partner that I’m friendly with that lives in Pittsburgh and is a huge Penguins fan (he was a coach and his son’s team was just honored at a Pens’ game for winning a State championship). He tells me Sullivan is very much on the hot seat and hates it. Says Sullivan is a great coach and person. Dubas may want to leave his own stamp on this team though…
I believe it. I’ve never been convinced this run would save him if it didn’t result in a playoff berth. Especially where this recent run will once again end with them being eliminated in the final 1 or 2 games of the season, just like last season.

Nashville went on a similar run last year after the deadline and Hynes was fired anyway. You can say it was because there was a GM change, but there’s been a GM change in Pittsburgh that Sullivan survived.

I’ve had a feeling for a while that the Rangers would love to have Sullivan when he becomes available. He was an assistant there at one point.

It seems unlikely Lavi gets ganked after just one year, but I wouldn’t be shocked if it happens if they go out on round one (I don’t think they will) and they immediately jump on Sullivan.

My timeline when I started connecting Sullivan to the Rangers had Gallant surviving one more season and them hiring Sullivan this summer. Gallant didn’t even make this year. I thought if Sullivan had been available last summer that maybe Gallant goes and they hire Sullivan.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Ullmark would be great IMO as long as the price isn't too absurd given he has 1 more year on his deal.

McNabb is 33 so I'd have concern over his age and contract that we would get.

I'm all for Joshua and Trenin.

Not sure about Colton, he is signed for 3 more years at $4M. Not sure he is worth that deal or even available.
McNabb has only one year left on his contract. I agree that Colton's contract isn't probably that good and maybe the Devils should avoid it, but he is still one option as a 3C.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
No one ever wants to hear it because of his cap hit, but Palat does all of the things that many complain our team lacks. Whether it’s forechecking, making the little plays offensively and defensively, actually trying to possess the puck in the offensive zone rather than a one and done chance.

None of it is pretty, and I get it, you want him to earn what he’s being paid. But we have enough guys on this team that can be the offensive producers, we need more of what Palat brings on top of it.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014

Surely, no response to these questions is fair because we know too much today. I'll play anyway:

1) If we could re-do his contract, he'd be paid $4.5M (1.5M savings)
2) Do you remember the rumors about John Marino becoming a Devil? I did not. Many things could have happened. I don't think its fair to see available LTIR money and say the team did not spend. We weren't signing UFA players, we were going to trade for a player AND commit money. Both those things had to make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad