Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
In other news, the Sens fans are down bad on the trade board.

Saying they wouldn't take BOTH Hughes brothers for Tkachuk, Shane Pinto and Chychrun

But trading assets for Markstrom and his $6mil cap hit, and thus going into next year with 2 mid 30 year old goalies who had OK seasons would be good?

The whole "should be fired immediately" thing is so internetty.

I don't really love Markstrom, but it depends on what those assets are. If he trades ~10th overall for Markstom? Yes, also fire immediately.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
In other news, the Sens fans are down bad on the trade board.

Saying they wouldn't take BOTH Hughes brothers for Tkachuk, Shane Pinto and Chychrun

I don't really love Markstrom, but it depends on what those assets are. If he trades ~10th overall for Markstom? Yes, also fire immediately.

Bit unfair to paint an entire fan base based on the opinions of a couple dudes.

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
I'm still in the Markstrom camp.

It could be a mistake but it can't be the DISASTER like some of the other guys . I'd rather 2 years of an old guy and an older guy in Allen and Markstrom than dishing out big money and assets for a long-term anchor. Like 8x8 on someone like Ullmark (more likely) or Saros (less likely) who flames out/gets injured/retires after 3 years and we're left holding the bag on them.

Besides, if we end up keeping one of the kids, we'll know in those 2 years of Markstrom if they are going to amount to anything and then can comfortably transition to them instead of having them be blocked and F things up like Calgary did with Markstrom.

Hellebuyck was the guy, everyone else that has been mentioned is too risky for me.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Absolute worst-case they need to get another Allen type and at least have two solid 1B's who aren't headcases and just merry-go-round and even that would be stupidly risky. No, Kahkonen based on five games isn't that - people are in the Sahara grasping at mirages swearing they're real.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I just hope it isn't Adin Hill.

Like I said in the OOT thread. I could see Vegas Fleury'ing him this offseason. He's making about 5 times as much as the other goalie that he's maybe only marginally better than.

They could use that money to re-sign some of their own guys or look for new help elsewhere.

And he's also injured all the time. That was a problem even with the Sharks. He's regularly in and out of the lineup due to injury.

Don't bite on him. He's a painfully average goalie that got hot at the right time, on a team that made one of our former ECHL goalies an all star.

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Absolute worst-case they need to get another Allen type and at least have two solid 1B's who aren't headcases and just merry-go-round and even that would be stupidly risky. No, Kahkonen based on five games isn't that - people are in the Sahara grasping at mirages swearing they're real.
I thought it prior to acquiring Kahk, but I felt his numbers facing a ton of shots on a bad SJ team were very skewed to the downside.

I don't expect .926 over a full season, but I think he can provide solid play.

If he goes to a good team next year as a backup, I bet he puts up very good numbers.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I just hope it isn't Adin Hill.

Like I said in the OOT thread. I could see Vegas Fleury'ing him this offseason. He's making about 5 times as much as the other goalie that he's maybe only marginally better than.

They could use that money to re-sign some of their own guys or look for new help elsewhere.

And he's also injured all the time. That was a problem even with the Sharks. He's regularly in and out of the lineup due to injury.

Don't bite on him. He's a painfully average goalie that got hot at the right time, on a team that made one of our former ECHL goalies an all star.
Hill has never gotten a ton of play in a season, but he has put up good numbers on bad teams. Really has never had a terrible NHL season.

Thompson was excellent in the minors after his first handful of pro games with Adirondack.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hill has never gotten a ton of play in a season, but he has put up good numbers on bad teams. Really has never had a terrible NHL season.

Thompson was excellent in the minors after his first handful of pro games with Adirondack.
Hill was fine in San Jose. He was okay. Obviously he's better on Vegas. But he's still an injury case and has been since the year the Sharks had him, maybe even before that. I don't remember if he had injury problems in Arizona, I just remember he never cracked the NHL permanently there until like maybe his last season there?

I'm skeptical Thompson looks good after he's off Vegas. He's got one more year left at a crazy cheap, league minimum-ish cap hit, so I don't think he's going anywhere until that's over. Then they can decide if they wanna re-sign him or let him go.

Regardless of Hill's performance, one thing that's for sure is he's regularly injured. He's injured much more frequently than Bernier was before he got here, and at least as much as Blackwood was his last two years with the Devils.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Regardless of Hill's performance, one thing that's for sure is he's regularly injured. He's injured much more frequently than Bernier was before he got here, and at least as much as Blackwood was his last two years with the Devils.
Which would explain the lack of GP's in any given season.

I have no interest in an oft injured goalie.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Everyone " Get rid of Seigs, he's useless"

Can almost predict it. We get rid of him and the defense gets even worse.

How about he had a bad season, like a lot of others did, and let's see what next season brings.

I’m a Siegs truther. His underlying numbers have historically been great in Washington and when he started here. I’m willing to accept he’s taken a step back, even as far as last year towards the latter half of the season.

But I’d like to see him within a structured system and see if he rebounds. He’s a better player than he’s being given credit for.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Everyone " Get rid of Seigs, he's useless"

Can almost predict it. We get rid of him and the defense gets even worse.

How about he had a bad season, like a lot of others did, and let's see what next season brings.

He's been injured a lot this season. There's probably data to back this up or not? What does that look like

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
For what it’s worth, I’m not wholly against the idea of sticking with Allen and Kahkonen depending on how things shake out in the offseason. I don’t think there is an ideal solution here, so I’m appreciative of Fitz saying he’s going big game hunting because he should explore every avenue he can.

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
Siegs has battled injuries and was missing his main D partner most of the season. I'm def ok bringing him back to see if he and Dougie can return the last year's form. I'd be ok running most of the d back aside from Smith. Would be great to add a vet LHD to push guys down the lineup and create some competition for spots. I think someone like Dhillon would be great, plays PK, bring a vet presence, plays physical and shouldn't cost too much in $ or term.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Siegs has battled injuries and was missing his main D partner most of the season. I'm def ok bringing him back to see if he and Dougie can return the last year's form. I'd be ok running most of the d back aside from Smith. Would be great to add a vet LHD to push guys down the lineup and create some competition for spots. I think someone like Dhillon would be great, plays PK, bring a vet presence, plays physical and shouldn't cost too much in $ or term.
Exactly, People wanted to buyout Meier or trade him as a negative asset for a big chunk of this season. Turns out injuries can linger and hurt your play for a long while. I would hope that fans would learn from that and not want to throw Siegs overboard.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Everybody here needs to be prepared for the cost of the new goalie.

Fitz is coming in from a shit position and has little choice.
I agree, I think it will start with our 1st this year plus Holtz and then Fitz will be adding Casey and some future draft capital.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Problem with the injury narrative is Siegs was bad half of last year too. And he wasn’t hurt all of this year. Yes some of his ills could also be system related but he was in the same system the first season and a half too

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We stick with this tandem we are setting ourselves up for a repeat of this season.

They have to get someone with more of a pedigree to go with Allen

Fitz also can't afford to to have another "well let's see what happens, team is young" regular season.

They need to be a competitive playoff team next year or he is almost certainly going to get fired next offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad