Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Would everyone be content rolling out the same six D next season with Hamilton returning?

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Hughes-Marino
Bahl-Nemec

I see quite a few who are, but to me, it’s a recipe for potential disaster.

And as far as the goalie stuff, Markstrom should not cost a ton for reasons we have all highlighted. His #s since TDL, age, if you take him at full cap, if you get him before July 1 and pay his bonus. That’s why I am onboard with that move. All the other potential ones terrify at what Fitz would give up. Unless that results in prying Askarov instead of saros from Nashville which isn’t happening.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Would everyone be content rolling out the same six D next season with Hamilton returning?

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Hughes-Marino
Bahl-Nemec

One of Siegenthaler/Bahl needs to go. I'd give Marino another year to turn it around, but I mihgt make him available as early as next deadline.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
One of Siegenthaler/Bahl needs to go. I'd give Marino another year to turn it around, but I mihgt make him available as early as next deadline.

That’s where I’m at. Siegenthaler would be the guy I try to move out. In fact, I keep saying him in a Markstrom deal makes a lot of sense imo.

Reactions: HughesCorporation

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
It would be Bahl that goes for me. He was great defensively and physical during the playoffs last year and hasn't shown that again this entire season. I'm done waiting for him to "mature".

Camille the Eel

How you assess Bahl’s future development is a key to what we do on defense. We have Hataka in the wings and Casey joining Utica and should expect much more solid play from Nemec and Hughes next year. With better systems play maybe we can more or less stand pat on defense if we think Bahl can be more consistent.

Goalie is the position where, with a single move, we can make the biggest difference for this club. We have the cap space and I’m satisfied with Allen as #2. Go out and spend for a bona fide #1 (Ullmark?) and at most tweak the defense.

Unless Fitz sees a multi player deal develop where we can really obtain a Norris type defenseman through a reshuffle on the back line. But Roman Jossi or Scott Stevens type players don’t often become available thorough trades.

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Hughes-Marino
Bahl-Nemec

And as far as the goalie stuff, Markstrom should not cost a ton for reasons we have all highlighted. His #s since TDL, age, if you take him at full cap, if you get him before July 1 and pay his bonus. That’s why I am onboard with that move. All the other potential ones terrify at what Fitz would give up. Unless that results in prying Askarov instead of saros from Nashville which isn’t happening.
One of Bahl/Siegs/Marino get moved out for an upgrade in a perfect world.

Bahl was rumored to be part of the ask from both CGY and NSH in goalie talks.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
two questions that I would like direct answers on:

1) What should Palat be paid?
2) What has Palat's contract stopped the Devils from doing, exactly? Keep in mind they were swimming in LTIR money for like 80% of the year and barely touched any of it.

1- My thought is he should be paid in bushels of potatos and livestock.

2- Palat’s contract has probably stopped NJ from starting a farm designed to meet its barter system needs to Palat.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Not a fan of trading Bahl.

I think he's only just getting started. He's 23! That's a baby for defenders.

I agree. I move Siegenthaler all day before Bahl. Although he had a rocky first couple months, I think Bahl has shown growth from last season. He’s been quietly solid on quite a few nights in this disastrous season.

Reactions: StevensRocks

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Hughes-Marino
Bahl-Nemec

I wouldn’t mind if that was what we went with. The biggest thing will be if Hughes/Nemec make big leaps or if they have sophomore slumps. I don’t think there’s anyone we could bring in that will be more important than that factor. We’ll go as they go.

I’d definitely want a better #7 than Smith though. He is not good enough.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I agree. I move Siegenthaler all day before Bahl. Although he had a rocky first couple months, I think Bahl has shown growth from last season. He’s been quietly solid on quite a few nights in this disastrous season.
Except Siegenthaler has multiple seasons of elite defensive play before this season and Bahl has basically been poor since he came into the league with no consistent defensive reliability.

Just because a guy is young doesn’t mean he’s going to be good. They’re only 3 years apart.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Pretty sure Hatakka needs waivers starting next season. Assuming that is indeed confirmed to be the case, he should be on the roster. I don’t wanna lose him on waivers, I think there could be a decent nhl blueliner there. Late bloomer esque.

Except Siegenthaler has multiple seasons of elite defensive play before this season and Bahl has basically been poor since he came into the league with no consistent defensive reliability.

Just because a guy is young doesn’t mean he’s going to be good. They’re only 3 years apart.

He was so bad this season for almost every game he played. Thats my thing with him. There weren’t even any flashes of solid play out of him. None.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Hughes-Marino
Bahl-Nemec

Content? Not at all, but outside of a Smith replacement we might not be able to really change it this offseason when we need quite a few new forwards and a new goalie

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Siegs or Bahl + something else for Chychrun

I don’t see it. Chychrun is a shooter, his best feature is goal scoring.

We can’t afford to pay another defenseman for offense. Hamilton isn’t going anywhere in the short term and Luke will be up for a big deal.

Chychrun not playing on the PP doesn’t make much sense but we don’t need him on it. He’s a poor man’s Dougie.

And the plus is a 1st, the Sens gave up a lot for him.

Not seeing this.

Last edited:

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024

We can’t afford to pay another defenseman for offense. Hamilton isn’t going anywhere in the short term and Luke will be up for a big deal.

Getting Chychrun not playing on the PP doesn’t make much sense but we don’t need him on it. He’s a poor man’s Dougie.

Not seeing this.

Yeah I don’t see Chychrun. Like the player, but if they add a D, would rather it be a more defensive oriented guy. So not seeing a fit. And someone who won’t require a big extension almost immediately after giving up quite a bit to acquire.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
This is why I want to know the coaching hire before any of these hypothetical moves. It will make a difference in the moves that are made, I am sure.

It's also why I find it hard to evaluate some of the non-core roster players who I feel deserve a chance with more structure. (Siegs, Holtz, Mercer, goaltending, etc.)

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
This is why I want to know the coaching hire before any of these hypothetical moves. It will make a difference in the moves that are made, I am sure.

It's also why I find it hard to evaluate some of the non-core roster players who I feel deserve a chance with more structure. (Siegs, Holtz, Mercer, goaltending, etc.)
Agreed. I think with a coach who actually has a system that consider playing defense in a way that is not just chasing would do wonders for our defense. I'm not opposed to having the same 6 back for next year. A healthy Hamilton will go a long way.

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Hughes-Marino
Bahl-Nemec

I'd be totally fine with upgrading Siegenthaler or Bahl, but I'd rather know we have a coach with a system first.

If I had to put my off season wishes in order it would be
1. Legit goaltender
2. Good coach
3. Top 6 winger
4. Defensive upgrade on the left side
5. Bottom 6 help, I think Nosek proves he can be solid after he got healthy. Run Hischier-Hughes-Haula-Nosek down the middle.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I agree about the other two but I think Holtz is out, the GM has publicly criticized him and neither coach has liked his play. I just cannot see him wanting another year of this.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
May be Orlov trade is a real opportunity. Canes need to sign many guys, they have Nikishin after next year, Morrow started this year. They can sign some third line option from the market for cheap or trade Bahl himself.

If we are lucky to draft Buium or Dickinson - it will be even better because we will use
Luke
Orlov
Siegs in lesser role
For next year

And if new young player is ready, we can let Orlov go. If he is not, we can offer 2 years deal to Orlov. Or find other stopgap option. Nemec and Luke will be more experienced already.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
May be Orlov trade is a real opportunity. Canes need to sign many guys, they have Nikishin after next year, Morrow started this year. They can sign some third line option from the market for cheap or trade Bahl himself.

If we are lucky to draft Buium or Dickinson - it will be even better because we will use
Luke
Orlov
Siegs in lesser role
For next year

And if new young player is ready, we can let Orlov go. If he is not, we can offer 2 years deal to Orlov. Or find other stopgap option. Nemec and Luke will be more experienced already.

Canes fans see Orlov as necessary stop gap because they aren’t keeping their pricier UFAs.

Pesce is definitely a goner and Skjei will likely get a bigger UFA deal elsewhere.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Getting Chychrun not playing on the PP doesn’t make much sense but we don’t need him on it. He’s a poor man’s Dougie.

Not seeing this.
And he is oft injured. Yes he played a full season this year, but he never touched 70 prior, and the majority of his career is under 60, with multiple sub 50 games played seasons.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Hughes-Marino
Bahl-Nemec

I'd like upgrade of either Bahl or Siegs(prefer Sieg's) but if we role with that 6 I won't be upset.

Return of Hamilton and maturation of Hughes and Nemec, and Bahl for that matter, are big plusses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad