Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Don't worry guys, Palat will be good again next year once that groin heals up!
IMG_1793.jpeg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So let's say that Fitz hates the goalie market demand and re-signs kahkonen and decides to run Allen and kk and improve the defense.

Who is the player that can be realistically added?
I think some are giddy about the small sample size.

If we go with Allen/Kahkonen next year and it doesn't work, I'm sure some of the same people who want it now are gonna be the same people screaming about why we didn't get a goalie, Markstrom could have been had for cheap and why didn't we try for Saros, just like why didn't we try for Hellebuyck the year before. And John Gibson could have been had for free and with retention, why didn't we take him?

I'm just kidding about the Gibson part, I know no one is gonna say that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Once Travis Green gets his brains busted open by Lucille this week, I'll start to dissect everything else and decide which players I want to get the holy hell beat out of them next.

Palat is definitely not near the top of that list though.

Siegenthaler is definitely high on it.

I honestly thought Vitek the COWARD was going to be a buyout or we'd have to pay somebody to take the last year of his carcass off our hands. That ended up not being the case.

But I'm sure we'd have to pay somebody to take Siegenthaler off our hands. Here's to hoping I'm wrong on that.

I honestly think one of Marino or Siegs is gone and I've been saying that for a couple of weeks now. I think they'd rather it be Siegenthaler, but Marino is easier to move and may be seen as an asset by buyers. Siegenthaler has 4 more years left and I can't think his value is really anything.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I think some are giddy about the small sample size.

If we go with Allen/Kahkonen next year and it doesn't work, I'm sure some of the same people who want it now are gonna be the same people screaming about why we didn't get a goalie, Markstrom could have been had for cheap and why didn't we try for Saros, just like why didn't we try for Hellebuyck the year before. And John Gibson could have been had for free and with retention, why didn't we take him?

I'm just kidding about the Gibson part, I know no one is gonna say that.
You have to go out and get the goalie.

But I more or less want to hear what the plan would be if you don't. Because you definitely can't run the roster back as a whole

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You have to go out and get the goalie.

But I more or less want to hear what the plan would be if you don't. Because you definitely can't run the roster back as a whole
Like I just said. I think we'll see some changes on defense.

I think they'd love to get rid of Siegs right now.

Bahl either won't be a regular or will be the 6th defenseman next year. Like he was last year.

Smith is almost definitely off the team, and I'm pretty confident in thinking he'll be out of the league. He's not very young. It's not easy to get a contract at 35 years old when you're a UFA. And there will be other older defensemen on the market who will get priority over him like Alec Martinez and maybe even Giordano, just based on merit.

I don't think we're gonna see hardly anyone back that's a UFA this year. I'm not sure about Nosek, even though I've warmed up on him a bit.

They may bring back MacDermid to counter Rempe lol.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

Bahl either won't be a regular or will be the 6th defenseman next year. Like he was last year.

Smith is almost definitely off the team, and I'm pretty confident in thinking he'll be out of the league. He's not very young. It's not easy to get a contract at 35 years old when you're a UFA. And there will be other older defensemen on the market who will get priority over him like Alec Martinez and maybe even Giordano, just based on merit.

I don't think we're gonna see hardly anyone back that's a UFA this year. I'm not sure about Nosek, even though I've warmed up on him a bit.

....and in an unexpected move by fitz.... smith is named the new head coach! :scared:

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Absolutely need to bring in a new defenseman who can play top four. Preferably prolly a LHD. And I would try and move Siegenthaler. Cannot run back the same crew with just Hamilton returning. No way. They’ll suck again. And also need say two new bodies up front who can play in a middle six role and also someone who can play on L4 with some snarl.

And also regarding MacDermid. I was kinda getting onboard with bringing him back to play sporadically. But after he did absolutely nothing the other night after the Nemec-Domi situation (even later in the game FFS), that immediately changes my thought to no way I’m wasting a roster spot on him back. And I hope management looked at that and thought the same thing.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So let's say that Fitz hates the goalie market demand and re-signs kahkonen and decides to run Allen and kk and improve the defense.

Dougie lol

Which would remind me of the Mets Wilpon-era approach...if this guy stays healthy and that guy lives up to his small sample size then we'll be playing meaningful games in April

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Absolutely need to bring in a new defenseman who can play top four. Preferably prolly a LHD. And I would try and move Siegenthaler. Cannot run back the same crew with just Hamilton returning. No way. They’ll suck again. And also need at say two new bodies up front who can play in a middle six role and also someone who can play on L4 with some snarl.

And also regarding MacDermid. I was kinda getting onboard with bringing him back to play sporadically. But after he did absolutely nothing the other night after the Nemec-Domi situation, that immediately changes my thought to no way I’m wasting a roster spot on him back. And I hope management looked at that and thought the same thing.
I think we'll largely be okay with Travis Green removed from the head coaching position and preferably off the staff completely. I still blame him for a lot of the woes even before Ruff was fired. From the lack of offensive creativity and explosiveness, lack of 5 on 5 goals early in the year, stifled rush game, etc. To the dead power play that he ran, which overachieved and got lucky for large amounts of the year and should have converted much less, and will next year if he's still touching it.

Now, whether okay means just a low seed playoff team or back to being somewhat of a contender like we were last year, I'm not sure.

But with one new goalie added and with Green gone, and having more health luck next year, I think we'll be at least decent again.

I tell you though, I'd love to blast Siegs on a rocket ship out of town. One of the worst things you can be in the NHL is a defensive defenseman that isn't even good at defense.

There is the possibility Siegenthaler COULD bounce back. It's only his first bad year, but I'm not overly-optimistic on it. I'm not completely ruling it out either.

Either way, how many people would be upset if we did dump him? I'm not sure too many.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Absolutely need to bring in a new defenseman who can play top four. Preferably prolly a LHD. And I would try and move Siegenthaler. Cannot run back the same crew with just Hamilton returning. No way. They’ll suck again. And also need say two new bodies up front who can play in a middle six role and also someone who can play on L4 with some snarl.

And also regarding MacDermid. I was kinda getting onboard with bringing him back to play sporadically. But after he did absolutely nothing the other night after the Nemec-Domi situation (even later in the game FFS), that immediately changes my thought to no way I’m wasting a roster spot on him back. And I hope management looked at that and thought the same thing.
Siegenthaler is fine on the bottom pairing and PKer. We def need an upgrade though on the left side.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
I still think if Markstrom is the deal, I could see siegenthaler going back the other way to Calgary.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still think if Markstrom is the deal, I could see siegenthaler going back the other way to Calgary.
You never know, they could see Siegenthaler as an asset because he's signed for 4 more years and at a reasonable cap hit.

Just like Mike Grier saw Vitek as an asset because he was signed for next year, while I was looking at him and wondering if we'd need to send something just to dump him or buy him out.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
You never know, they could see Siegenthaler as an asset because he's signed for 4 more years and at a reasonable cap hit.

Just like Mike Grier saw Vitek as an asset because he was signed for next year, while I was looking at him and wondering if we'd need to send something just to dump him or buy him out.

Yeah that’s how I see it. Because of the sentiment that Canadian teams are having difficulty attracting FAs and are on quite a few NTCs. They could see him as a fit while they retool to be a “vet” on the backend with Andersson and Weegar as they infuse kids.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Real deal at 35 years old?

I believe he's the 5th oldest active goalie in the league behind Fleury, Quick, Varlomov and Bobrovsky.

Reactions: forceten

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Odds are this doesn't happen. Fitz publicly talked too much about getting a big goalie fix.

He might try to sell the fanbase that some fool's gold like Elvis is that big fish, but after he very publicly dismissed KK its not likely he comes back.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Markstrom is probably going to be the cheapest of him, Saros, or Ullmark to acquire...but is also probably the highest risk of blowing up in our faces.

Reactions: BostonDevil

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Yeah, I'm not in the mood to rehash Palat for the 70th time. His contract stinks, if it becomes an issue, it'll be hard to move with his 10 team NTC or whatever he has. I'll root for him as a player but there's no way he should start in the top 6 next year. That would mean Fitz didn't get an adequate guy for Bratt/Jack while I think Timo Nico Mercer should be the other top 6 line. And your Mercer insurance should be a guy like Sprong or Duclair if Mercer decides to shit his pants for a second straight year.

On a side note, does anyone know if they're going to Prague yet or done anything in regards of ticket/air travel yet?

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

We can trade Dumolin - he is perfect third pair defenseman with optional/situational second pair role - played the same TOI as Bahl this year 5 on 5 but with one of the best metrics.
We can sign De Haan. We can create fight for their right for party. The better player will earn the third pair spot.
We can trade Valaamaki. Same story.
We can sign Skjei. Firsr-Second pair role.we can sign bridge deal with Luke and Simon after. Marino or Siegs are out as timing for deals.
We can trade Petterson. If they want to trade him.
May be Carolina would want to trade Orlov in reasonable deal - they have some cap problems.
May be Nashville will trade McDonagh.
If Devils will trade Markstrom, may be we can trade to pay more and ask for Miromanov too.
Kulikov is a good option for third pair/7D from the market.
There are many options to act and make this team better and/or deeper.

Don't be a p4ssy. Its a panic move. Good teams are doing well with average goaltending. They don't need best goaltending. They don't need worst goaltending. We see how team is playing now with good goaltending and it doesn't help to make more goals and shots.

If Fitz will sign better depth players - they will be good with Allen and Kahkonen.
If Fitz will not sign better depth players - a couple of injuries and they will be bad again with Saros or Ullmark or Markstrom. Saros will not help in the game like we have against Philly.

If Fitz will sign good depth players - they will be good enough to survive, all this goalies will be cheaper on the deadline, will be free on the market.

If Fitz will trade good assets, this team will hurt the cap and the depth in the same time. The most important problem now ON THE ICE is coaching and depth.
Calling goaltending as a major problem now is a panic analysis.

The same people who wants Gibson and Markstrom are the same people who wants Saros and Ulmark. Because its desire of big name. Nothing more. People who want okay goalies and depth are comparing the team with other contenders who are greatly playing with average ir even below average goalies and doing it well even with injuries because this teams can play without one or two injured players and their bottom lines doesn't look like average/below AHL top-6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad