Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Sorry if this isn’t allowed to be posted here. I was able to find this in a minute by looking him up on a free public site. I filtered to 35 years old, since it comes up with like 60 people named Brendan Smith that have lived in New Jersey.

And there were even 4 or 5 Brendan Smith’s age 35, but I knew by seeing Raleigh, NC and Rye, NY, as well as several Michigan listings in previous locations that I had found our guy.
Taxes on that are almost 4 times my mortgage lol. Granted it's 4 times the size but still.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Man's property taxes went from $10K to $47k in a year. I'd sell the house too.
It's a brand new house, which shot the value up astronomically.

It says the house was built in 2022, so he's probably the first person to ever live there. I'm sure there was an older, much smaller, less valuable home there before that one was built and bought by him.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Everyone saying goodbye to Smith when he’s actually just buying a bigger house with the massive extension he’s about to sign :sarcasm:
IMG_2698.gif

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I look forward to Smith becoming a coach someday. His interviews were great, and he was incredibly thoughtful and knowledgeable about the game. Say what you want about his play, but I do believe the locker room will miss him.

We should be able to find someone with similar intangibles that is less of a liability on the ice, though. Wish him the best, incredibly nice guy when I met him at a signing in his first year. Since hardly anyone knew him and Haula when they did a joint signing at Sports Minded towards the beginning of 2023, both of them were really gracious towards the people that were there for coming out.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
A lot of people here have wanted Foegele to the Devils this summer. Well, he is definitely a guy who has decreased his value in the playoffs. In 15 games he has 1+2, -8, and now he is scratched. Eye test tells the same story, he has been almost useless there.

This has probably been an outlier season for him, and next year he is again a 20–30 point player.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
A lot of people here have wanted Foegele to the Devils this summer. Well, he is definitely a guy who has decreased his value in the playoffs. In 15 games he has 1+2, -8, and now he is scratched. Eye test tells the same story, he has been almost useless there.

This has probably been an outlier season for him, and next year he is again a 20–30 point player.
Calling him a 20-30 player is a little disingenuous as he's averaged 35 points per 82 games over the last 5 seasons. His underlying numbers are still good during the playoffs. I'd still be happy to sign the player assuming his contract isn't dumb.

My thinking all along has been that it would be better to sign 3-4 "ok" forwards this offseason rather than 2 "good" ones. Maybe that's too reactionary to this past year but I believe Our top 4 forwards can carry the team as long as they're supported by better depth. I want to be able to lose someone and still have a good 4th line, even if that means a Foegele/Palat/Haula staying in the top 6.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Haven’t watched him much since he left the canes and can’t remember what type of a player he was. I see 20-20ish guy but does he play heavy?

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
I’d like Fitz to sign Dakota Joshua. Late bloomer who would be a great add for the bottom six. I would also gladly welcome Henrique back with open arms.

Heard speculation that Theodore could be a cap casualty in Vegas. Not thrilled about him being a UFA after this year but if the acquisition cost is reasonable…Make it happen, Fitz.

Last edited:

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Calling him a 20-30 player is a little disingenuous as he's averaged 35 points per 82 games over the last 5 seasons. His underlying numbers are still good during the playoffs. I'd still be happy to sign the player assuming his contract isn't dumb.

My thinking all along has been that it would be better to sign 3-4 "ok" forwards this offseason rather than 2 "good" ones. Maybe that's too reactionary to this past year but I believe Our top 4 forwards can carry the team as long as they're supported by better depth. I want to be able to lose someone and still have a good 4th line, even if that means a Foegele/Palat/Haula staying in the top 6.
I understand that but it's the Canucks way (Jim Benning version) of spending too much money on a few mediocre players. Pay for your stars and maximize your depth with cheap value contracts.

Foegele has played well against the Devils earlier, but I have been surprised by how bad he has been in the playoffs.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago

Sorry if this isn’t allowed to be posted here. I was able to find this in a minute by looking him up on a free public site. I filtered to 35 years old, since it comes up with like 60 people named Brendan Smith that have lived in New Jersey.

And there were even 4 or 5 Brendan Smith’s age 35, but I knew by seeing Raleigh, NC and Rye, NY, as well as several Michigan listings in previous locations that I had found our guy.
Makes me sad to realize I'll probably never be able to afford to move back to NJ lol, not that I would buy a 2m house anywhere but seeing the property its on and how little space there is ( outside ) just reminds me how ridiculous the real estate market has gotten in NJ ( and many areas ) ill take my little farm town in northern Illinois.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

If it results in a price reduction, I'm all for it. I'm still interested.

Reactions: longislanddevil

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Makes me sad to realize I'll probably never be able to afford to move back to NJ lol, not that I would buy a 2m house anywhere but seeing the property its on and how little space there is ( outside ) just reminds me how ridiculous the real estate market has gotten in NJ ( and many areas ) ill take my little farm town in northern Illinois.
Same here

But I guess I am happy to say that the house I bought here in Florida for $154500 in 2011 is now apparently estimated at $543k on Zillow.

The equivalent in Jersey is probably $800k-$900k to possibly a million for what I have here and in a decent neighborhood.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I’d like Fitz to sign Dakota Joshua. Late bloomer who would be a great add for the bottom six. I would also gladly welcome Henrique back with open arms.

Heard speculation that Theodore could be a cap casualty in Vegas. Not thrilled about him being a UFA after this year but if the acquisition cost is reasonable…Make it happen, Fitz.
Joshua would be a great add, given the AAV isn't too crazy.

I love Theodore, but I don't think they really need to pay assets to acquire him given the Devils' current mix on the blueline.

Reactions: longislanddevil

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'm going to assume we'll bring in a bottom pairing vet, ala Brendan Smith, and potentiallly two bottom 6 forwards, one if Nosek comes back.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Could we bring Smith on as a coach? Does he intend to try to play elsewhere? I guess with the house up for sale he probably has a nod and wink deal already.

Reactions: Guadana

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
10OA for Askarov. That would be the ideal trade in my opinion. Give to get.
I remember that draft day being so upset we didnt take him. Crazy how we were "filling a need" by picking Holtz and it looks like Askarov is going to be an impact NHLer before Alex.

What can you do. I dont see a world where Predators do this but if you can, devils gotta be all over it. I guess we will see where they stand if they give Saros an extension.

EDIT: Still will never be as upset as I was for passing on jersey boy Carlson for Tedenby. hindsight is 20/20. bleh.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I remember that draft day being so upset we didnt take him. Crazy how we were "filling a need" by picking Holtz and it looks like Askarov is going to be an impact NHLer before Alex.

What can you do. I dont see a world where Predators do this but if you can, devils gotta be all over it. I guess we will see where they stand if they give Saros an extension.

EDIT: Still will never be as upset as I was for passing on jersey boy Carlson for Tedenby. hindsight is 20/20. bleh.
You dont know with Askarov yet on NHL level. No matter how Wallstedt and Askarov are talented, its really crazy to draft them by 7OA.
Its just the issue with Holtz. It would be better for scouts to understand what kind of problems they could face with players of Holtz profile. There were better options. We draft one by our 18th pick. May be by our 20th pick too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad