Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If this collaborative process is so controlling and ironclad that they won’t even let a prospective coach choose his own assistants- a basic f***ing duty for every other team in the league- then clear out the front office too, cuz it won’t take us anywhere. I don’t think ownership has anything to do with this, we know how they operate us and the Sixers. This is all Fitz’s call, and it’s up to him to deviate from his plan as the circumstances allow.

Maybe Brooks was right, this is a terrible way to run a team.

What are you talking about? Lou Lamoriello almost never let his coaches choose his assistants - he let Lemaire have Tremblay. I think Taylor is a Ruff hire, or at least somebody he knew.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Oh no we didn't fire our coach the second the year ended. THE HORROR
The answer to my question about whether I should be concerned about whether they’re still there or not will put my mind at ease for another week.
Where did the whole ''The coach hasn't been allowed to hire his assistants'' thing come from?

All indications are that Ruff did choose Chris Taylor.

They go back to when Taylor was a player with Buffalo.
Recchi is an ex Pen and Nas has been a barnacle on this team since Shero, so presumably that.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Most of the fanbase wants Ruff out obviously but he also has alot of variables that will likely save his job till next season. If we get off to a bad start next season than he is most likely fired 100%. The thing is what coaches are going to be available if we wait to pull the trigger on firing him ? We might miss out on a good one and than be stuck with the revolving door of coaches that seem to stay in the NHL.

I'd love to get Boudreau here but I have a feeling he is staying with the Canucks. When he got hired by Minnesota a few years ago we were only into our 1st or 2nd year of Hynes. One of the first things Bruce did was bring Scott Stevens on board to be his assistant. I wish we could get that combo behind the bench here. Stevens has been relatively quiet since that 1 season he coached in Minny. I know he is an analyst on the NHL Network or w/e....I'm pretty sure the Devils are the only team he has interest in working for because he left Minnesota after 1 season so he can be closer to his family. Pretty sure the organization and Stevens are on good terms still , really wish they were willing to give it another go around.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Sorry, but Bruce Boudreau is redundant. Offensive coach, who tells it like it is, aka Ruff. I rather somebody new (and preferably more defensive minded).

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
There is nothing wrong with most of the names brought up if Ruff is fired....Torts is a good coach....Our rivalry with the Rags would go through the roof if he did become the coach.

Reactions: McDuffz88

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
People keep claiming head coaches always put together their staffs themselves without ever actually providing examples of this.

When you look at other teams’ staffs and they’re a mix of holdovers, maybe clear picks by the GM or clears pick by the new HC and some new blood they likely agreed upon.

When Barry Trotz went to the NYI in 2018-19, he brought long time AC Lane Lambert, but John Gruden was hired out of Juniors and Scott Gomez was an obvious Lou picked place holder.

Gomez was replaced the next year by Jim Hiller, who’s had one year as an AC under Babcock in Detroit and then followed him to Toronto. He became free after Babcock was gone, so he’s an obvious Lou hire.

Peter Laviolette, the bigger fish we supposedly missed out on, brought on his longtime AC Kevin McCarthy when he started in 2020-21, but he inherited the three other Caps’ ACs who all predate him there.

Vigneault got another big name as an AC with Michel Therrien in Philly, but he had never coached with him.

Therrien had coached before for GM Chuck Fletcher though, who was a AGM when both he and Mike Yeo were in Pittsburgh. Fletcher then brought Yeo with him to Minnesota. The last AC, Ian Laperriére, predated all of these guys.

So while Vigneault might have signed off on all these picks, none of them are guys he brought along.

The guys under Gallant? Mike Kelly is a long time AC for Gallant, having coached under him for three years in Florida and then three years in Vegas.

Gord Miller actually coached with and under Gallant in Columbus. He went to Florida next but left for Philly before Gallant got hired there.

Gallant certainly knows him, but they haven’t worked together since 2006-07. Miller was the Associate Head Coach in the Hartford for two years before moving up to the NHL. So both sides know him.

Jim Midgley was hired out of juniors.

Lindy Ruff hasn’t been a HC since 2016-17. I guess James Patrick would be a long time AC candidate here, he followed him from Buffalo and then coached with him Dallas. He was a defenseman. Did Nasreddine block him? Maybe? Maybe not at all? Who cares? The Stars PK was terrible and their defense wasn’t so hot, we aren’t missing or something.

And as people have mentioned, he coached Chris Taylor and Taylor was a highly regarded AHL head coach who had been freshly fired when the Sabres owners fired just about everyone over the COVID break. So I don’t see why he’s not likely a “Lindy hire”.

And Recchi was a Senior Advisor for Dallas two years and that included Ruff’s first year in Dallas. He then left to become a Development Coach in Pittsburgh in 2014-15. I doubt they worked that much together, but they likely knew each other.

This weird idea that Ruff has this staff forced upon has no basis in fact. Recchi definitely stands out as dud, but that happens. We don’t know if Ruff had better candidates in mind that he was brutally denied, that’s a made up scenario.
Post automatically merged:

Sorry, but Bruce Boudreau is redundant. Offensive coach, who tells it like it is, aka Ruff. I rather somebody new (and preferably more defensive minded).
Huh? Boudreau’s teams famously have fantastic team defense.

Last edited:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Oh no we didn't fire our coach the second the year ended. THE HORROR

We're all impatient and want to get to the fireworks factory now!

I'd rather they take their time with evaluating the season and make a sensible decision, than make a hasty and ill-considered move.

I think at the end of the process that Ruff and the assistants should be out of a job, but I don't think there's any need to rush.

Reactions: Hisch13r

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
washington and st. louis managed to escape the pretender role and raised the cup. i don't see it with this winnipeg roster.

a lot depends on ownership. if ownership demands playoffs, you can't build forever until you assembled a core with championship aspirations. i think harris/blitzer gave the opportunity to win a stanley cup much higher priority than a playoff appearance so far and the management activities seem to be focussed on this long term goal.

i am quite optimistic, that within three seasons the devils could be both: a regular playoff contender and a stanley cup contender. the second obviously requires good player development, additions to fix the goalie position and some luck. but around 80% of the foundation is there.

This team is built upon a bunch of kids that haven’t played meaningful hockey past December except 1x 5 years ago. Said it before will say it again. This team needs legit nhl talent. Yeah the kids put up some great point totals. It’s one thing putting up those point totals when your playing meaningful games in jan feb March. It’s another thing to do it when you put them up with nothing to play for.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Hard pass on all of these. Maurice may not even want to come back, Torts always flames out and wears out his welcome (can't argue with the results at the start but he's not a long term solution), Dineen is not the meaningful change we need, and Q presided over the rape of a player and did nothing to stop it what the hell is wrong with you

Not to be that guy but crazy seeing how none of the players are being held accountable and being black listed. How many here wouldn’t take Kane as a ufa on a team friendly deal? Let me guess no one lol

Btw I’m not saying I want him as coach just pointing out how stupid it is to be outraged by just him and not the guys doing the bullying and taunting and literally nothing to stop it either.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
this quote could mean everything

hopefully the negotiation part will go well
- past negotiation weren't to my satisfaction and i was holding out
- money is key
- fair deal required
- willing to give a home team discount

I see New Jersey as my home
- i want to stay with Devils
- i like my current environment and i am not looking to move
- New York is nearby and i will sign with the Rangers
You left out the last part of the quote “….because of the kotbuller at IKEA in Paramus. When Holtz comes up next season me and Boquist are sending him and Zetterlund for kotbuller when the plane lands after every road trip.”

newjerseydamo

May 15, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
www.puck-mad.com
Not to be that guy but crazy seeing how none of the players are being held accountable and being black listed. How many here wouldn’t take Kane as a ufa on a team friendly deal? Let me guess no one lol

Btw I’m not saying I want him as coach just pointing out how stupid it is to be outraged by just him and not the guys doing the bullying and taunting and literally nothing to stop it either.
For the record, I want no one from the Blackhawks organisation, management or players.
They should all be stripped of the cup and not be eligible for the HHOF for what they did.

But that's just me and I'm sure people will think I'm too harsh. But I'd do that without hesitation, and I wouldn't regret it one bit.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This team is built upon a bunch of kids that haven’t played meaningful hockey past December except 1x 5 years ago. Said it before will say it again. This team needs legit nhl talent. Yeah the kids put up some great point totals. It’s one thing putting up those point totals when your playing meaningful games in jan feb March. It’s another thing to do it when you put them up with nothing to play for.
If more than three players put up good numbers maybe the team would have been in meaningful games? Shoukd they not have scored i. Games after November would that have been better? I am not a big fan of damned if you do damned if you don’t scenarios. I find it hard to knock Hughes Bratt and Hischier compared to just about anyone else on the team with the possible exception of Severson who also had an excellent year scoring wise. The goalies were bad the team had significant injuries all year the coaching wasn’t great and then they started adding rookies to the lineup as the injuries piled up. What were three guys - really two guys once Hughes got hurt - supposed to do at that point?

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There are a couple of head coaches that seem to have that assistant that follows them around.

Like Steve Spott with DeBoer (although he didn't have Spott here or in Florida) in both San Jose and Vegas. Johan Hedberg did come to San Jose when DeBoer was hired to be head coach there and Dave Barr eventually came out a bit later to team up with DeBoer again.

And that one guy that Gallant has that keeps going around everywhere he goes from Florida to Vegas to New York. I wanna say his name is Jim Johnson or something.

No, his name is Mike Kelly.

Jim Johnson is the Todd McLellan guy that was with him with the Sharks and Oilers.

McLellan also had Jay Woodcroft follow him around after he left Detroit and brought him along to San Jose with him.

Ruff seems to have Chris Taylor, even if he's not his right hand man.

The head coach doesn't put the entire staff together.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
If Vancouver is stupid enough to let Boudreau walk without a new contract, Fitz has to fire Ruff on spot or even before.

Reactions: glenwo2

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Devils gotta get back to the playoffs man ! It's always fun to watch but when your team isn't in than it isn't as fun to watch.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Its not about skating like Hughes, the issue is that he is very slow and potentially will not be able to get to the scoring areas in a timely way. It is a major red flag IMO.
on the rush. but once we missed a chance on the rush he can help to keep the puck in the offensive zone and create a second wave of offense. like a trailor in basketball.

and he scored 3 goals in 7 games (tiny sample size i know).

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
all teams build through the draft are missing experience. therefore tampa also had some po disappointments before their cup wins.

give the young guys time to become more veteran. i rather see some early po exits of a young team, than see the team get twice to the conference final and then fall back to the lottery. this could very well be the fate of the islanders. two years of trotz magic and now they traded away picks for a middling team.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
For the record, I want no one from the Blackhawks organisation, management or players.
They should all be stripped of the cup and not be eligible for the HHOF for what they did.

But that's just me and I'm sure people will think I'm too harsh. But I'd do that without hesitation, and I wouldn't regret it one bit.
But...they had such a winning culture.:sarcasm:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What are you talking about? Lou Lamoriello almost never let his coaches choose his assistants - he let Lemaire have Tremblay. I think Taylor is a Ruff hire, or at least somebody he knew.
Lou always had to have a mole (a la MacLean surviving a million staffs) on the staff, but I’m sure Lemaire picked Larry Robinson, or at least that was pretty mutual. Jacques Caron was just as likely a Lemaire pick as a Lou one, at least then. He got retained on every staff after for being the Marty whisperer.

Point is it’s hard for me to take Ruff or any Fitz hire seriously if both your main assistants (and possibly the goaltending coach) have no obvious connection to the head coach while they all have an obvious connection to the GM or your goalie legend in a suit.

Last edited:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
If more than three players put up good numbers maybe the team would have been in meaningful games? Shoukd they not have scored i. Games after November would that have been better? I am not a big fan of damned if you do damned if you don’t scenarios. I find it hard to knock Hughes Bratt and Hischier compared to just about anyone else on the team with the possible exception of Severson who also had an excellent year scoring wise. The goalies were bad the team had significant injuries all year the coaching wasn’t great and then they started adding rookies to the lineup as the injuries piled up. What were three guys - really two guys once Hughes got hurt - supposed to do at that point?

I’m not taking away credit I rather them put up points then not even when the games didn’t mean anything. But it is 100% different type of game being played when your fighting for a playoff spot or positioning compared to a west coast trip late in the year when your 45 points out of it. Just not the same game is being played.
Post automatically merged:

all teams build through the draft are missing experience. therefore tampa also had some po disappointments before their cup wins.

give the young guys time to become more veteran. i rather see some early po exits of a young team, than see the team get twice to the conference final and then fall back to the lottery. this could very well be the fate of the islanders. two years of trotz magic and now they traded away picks for a middling team.
Early playoff exits? This team is so far from even that point. How about just start by getting meaningful hockey games in February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad