Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’m not taking away credit I rather them put up points then not even when the games didn’t mean anything. But it is 100% different type of game being played when your fighting for a playoff spot or positioning compared to a west coast trip late in the year when your 45 points out of it. Just not the same game is being played.
Post automatically merged:

Early playoff exits? This team is so far from even that point. How about just start by getting meaningful hockey games in February
I think Bratt Hughes and Hischier do more than enough to score in regular season games. It’s the playoffs that are different to me. They will have to learn to navigate that like MATHEWS and Marner have had to adjust.

devlzfan

Aug 28, 2007
Farmingdale, NY
This team needs accountability and a kick in the ass. I rarely ever agree with Larry Brooks but it is a day-care center and what they don't need now is a "player's coach". They also need a coach with proven results more recently than Lindy Ruff. As examples, Tortorella, DeBoer, Boudreau, Laviolette (although not available) always seem to get results for the first couple of years and then fizzle out wherever they go. You wouldn't sign up for that right now? Give me one year of results, I think we are so desperate. But for those of you who are patient and want to just let the kids grow, then sign Lindy Ruff to an extension, better yet make Mark Recchi the head coach.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I think Bratt Hughes and Hischier do more than enough to score in regular season games. It’s the playoffs that are different to me. They will have to learn to navigate that like MATHEWS and Marner have had to adjust.

It’s not just regular season games though. Sure go out there when your in last place and play 45 games there’s no pressure. Now go out there and play those same games chasing a team by a few points it’s definitely going to be different.

This team needs accountability and a kick in the ass. I rarely ever agree with Larry Brooks but it is a day-care center and what they don't need now is a "player's coach". They also need a coach with proven results more recently than Lindy Ruff. As examples, Tortorella, DeBoer, Boudreau, Laviolette (although not available) always seem to get results for the first couple of years and then fizzle out wherever they go. You wouldn't sign up for that right now? Give me one year of results, I think we are so desperate. But for those of you who are patient and want to just let the kids grow, then sign Lindy Ruff to an extension, better yet make Mark Recchi the head coach.

Without legit nhl talent on this roster they can bring in whoever they want to coach and this team is still going to miss the playoffs next year. Maybe not by December but middle January. So I guess that’s progress. All these kids know is losing no adversity.

Reactions: My3Sons

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
It’s not just regular season games though. Sure go out there when your in last place and play 45 games there’s no pressure. Now go out there and play those same games chasing a team by a few points it’s definitely going to be different.

Without legit nhl talent on this roster they can bring in whoever they want to coach and this team is still going to miss the playoffs next year. Maybe not by December but middle January. So I guess that’s progress. All these kids know is losing no adversity.
I don't give a shit about missing the playoffs next season, I want progress of any kind and we've made negative progress in the past three years. I'd sell my left nut for a point total in the mid-80s. We're not going to get that with the pond hockey committee on the bench.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I agree to some extent. Regular season games are reffed a certain way and opponents vary in quality and effort. Even in a playoff hunt I think pressure is less of a factor than injury illness travel quality of opponent etc. until maybe the last handful of games when it’s effectively win or go home. In my view if you are playing for your playoff life for over 30 games you aren’t a good team anyway. Just my opinion not saying you are wrong.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Lou always had to have a mole (a la MacLean surviving a million staffs) on the staff, but I’m sure Lemaire picked Larry Robinson, or at least that was pretty mutual. Jacques Caron was just as likely a Lemaire pick as a Lou one, at least then. He got retained on every staff after for being the Marty whisperer.

Point is it’s hard for me to take Ruff or any Fitz hire seriously if both your main assistants (and possibly the goaltending coach) have no obvious connection to the head coach while they all have an obvious connection to the GM or your goalie legend in a suit.

That was 30 years ago. Guttersniped did a great breakdown of where assistants came from in our division. Bottom line is that nobody picks their own assistants anymore, and I'm skeptical they ever did.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
I don't want Ruff kept around with Fitz thinking I can just can him if the team isn't off to a good start. They need to get someone in here for training camp to shelve the defensive structure of this team and start anew. Also, Recchi should have been walked out of the building the minute after the Red Wings loss.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
As someone who brought up that "Ruff didn't hire his assistants" as evidence NJ has an unusual team structure, I concede this is definitely not very strong evidence given the breakdown Guttersniped provided earlier. The (rumored) narrative at some point became Gallant/Laviolette/Stevens were not hired in part because they were unwilling to adhere to a top down approach from the FO re: analytics/tactics and wanted to run their own show.

Was their any real evidence to support this or was it all baseless conjecture? I couldn't find anything from the stories that came out when Ruff was hired:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
As someone who brought up that "Ruff didn't hire his assistants" as evidence NJ has an unusual team structure, I concede this is definitely not very strong evidence given the breakdown Guttersniped provided earlier. The (rumored) narrative at some point became Gallant/Laviolette/Stevens were not hired in part because they were unwilling to adhere to a top down approach from the FO re: analytics/tactics and wanted to run their own show.

Was their any real evidence to support this or was it all baseless conjecture? I couldn't find anything from the stories that came out when Ruff was hired
It was either lack of control or we just didn’t want to pay them, which I find hard to believe since we gave lip service to talking to them all. You have to have a pretty good idea they would want higher salaries to start with, so why waste everyone’s time if you’re just budgeting like $2 million and under for the HC?

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
It was either lack of control or we just didn’t want to pay them, which I find hard to believe since we gave lip service to talking to them all. You have to have a pretty good idea they would want higher salaries to start with, so why waste everyone’s time if you’re just budgeting like $2 million and under for the HC?
Word is that Laviolette walked because of lack of pay. I'm not sure why Gallant wanted to go away while Gronborg left his interview on good terms.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I think Ruff‘s hiring was a combination of things. In no particular order ,
1. Cost (not as $$ as the big guns )
2. He was ok with having limited ”power “ where perhaps other coaches wanted say in roster decisions, player selection.
3. Wanted a coach better suited to develop Jack Nico Hughes’ offensive game first and foremost.
4. Coach that would be ok with playing inexperienced kids. Not coaching to win every game at all costs but rather use the kids in important roles and situations that normally wouldn’t be used in (PP1 / PK , game on the lime up or down a goal etc. in order to grow their game.

I see the Ruff hiring as him being brought in with the priority being development and implementing systems best suited for a young inexperienced players.

Hoepfully now , they bring in a coach that will coach more to win rather than a main focus on developing and giving the kids experience they normally wouldn’t get on a team.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Given the youth up front and the goal tending on the back end (sprinkle in the big UFA acquisition breaking his jaw), if the hope was for us to be in playoff contention in year 2, Ruff was given an impossible task.

I understand the contract considerations, ie the lame duck season which would lie ahead, but purely from a coaching perspective I'd be fine with Ruff back next year. Keep Nas too. Recchi clearly has to go, but otherwise I'm fine with the job the coaches have done.

So Ruff is still here?

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
qZTdXJv.gif

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
So either Ruff is going to get the chance to make his own hires for the bench which he wasn't able to do... it's the last year of Ruff's deal...

Or I am still wondering if he gets moved to the front office after the playoffs and Fitz knows what coaches are actually available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad