Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I’m assuming auto merge is just when you make two posts in a row combining them into one.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
i was asking what it does.....and when i know ....i'll be sure to be annoyed also
So that's what it is as mentioned above. If you post two in a row it merges them together into one multi quote post.
Post automatically merged:

He looked and sounded devastated that they lost game 82. He is over this shit.

Severson sounds done too.
I thought he sounded like a guy who is sick of losing, which they all should be, but I believe he really wants to be here.

Reactions: My3Sons

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Dougie said, "Coming from a winning team...we need to create a better culture, a winning culture and there's a lot of things that go into that, to try to get to that and it becomes the standard in the room and the organization. We need to try to get that as quickly as we can. There's some steps we've taken but I think there's definitely more we need to take to get to that point."

Hmmm...People will read into that what they will.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Dougie said, "Coming from a winning team...we need to create a better culture, a winning culture and there's a lot of things that go into that, to try to get to that and it becomes the standard in the room and the organization. We need to try to get that as quickly as we can. There's some steps we've taken but I think there's definitely more we need to take to get to that point."

Hmmm...People will read into that what they will.
My guess is the young guys act like young guys. Winning teams in my experience are not great fun. Rewarding yes but they ask a lot of the participants and it isn’t for everyone. Too much young players acting like young players might not be conducive to that. You need a certain percentage of try hards. Almost all players try hard on game day and it’s trying hard on non game days that usually makes the difference. Beyond that there is also the coaching issue which may or may not be part of his statement.

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
Its nice to know our key players are just as miserable as us. I really think next year if we don't take the next step we will have a really pissed off lockeroom. Nico & Severson sound miserable & Hamilton basically said our culture is dog sh*t compared to where he came from. Hughes needs to just shut up about Ruff being great. As much as I love Hughes he probably just likes Ruff cause he knows he can do whatever he wants without fear of being punished. Also sounds like he has fun with the coach. How can you be having fun when your a bottom dweller team? Happy Nico is the captain over someone like Hughes.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
My guess is the young guys act like young guys. Winning teams in my experience are not great fun. Rewarding yes but they ask a lot of the participants and it isn’t for everyone. Too much young players acting like young players might not be conducive to that. You need a certain percentage of try hards. Almost all players try hard on game day and it’s trying hard on non game days that usually makes the difference. Beyond that there is also the coaching issue which may or may not be part of his statement.
Yeah, I think it's all of that. I remember Zajac last year saying, "It's a young room," and it's Zajac. Saying a lot without many words. This year, we have Severson mentioning Ruff giving the skill guys leeway to create up front, Miles saying we were almost too young, both Nico and Jack talking about adding some pieces.

It makes itself clear on the ice. Bad goaltending is one thing, but we all know you can't make these kind of unforced errors and be one of the best teams in the league. Something has to give on that front re: attention to detail and professionalism.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I could see bring back the top four and having the three young guys battle it out for the third pairing but if they have waiver exemption remaining you could bring back Subban for a year. At this point any wisdom and professionalism has been given though. Maybe time for a different relatively elder statesmen voice?
Every NJ Devils prospect D-man will still be on ELCs next season. Up front only Thompson and Zetterlund are RFAs. Not a lot of waiver difficulties on that roster outside of Z.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I can dream but...

Assuming Johnny gaudreau doesn’t want to resign in Calgary and is willing to sign in NJ and Ville Husso tests free agency....

Our first and second and third this year plus bratt plus Zacha for the rights to Johnny gaudreau and Mathew tkachuk. Resign both to identical 8x10.5 contracts. Sign Ville Husso to 5x5 contract as UFA

• Wow
Reactions: TBF1972

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Its nice to know our key players are just as miserable as us. I really think next year if we don't take the next step we will have a really pissed off lockeroom. Nico & Severson sound miserable & Hamilton basically said our culture is dog sh*t compared to where he came from. Hughes needs to just shut up about Ruff being great. As much as I love Hughes he probably just likes Ruff cause he knows he can do whatever he wants without fear of being punished. Also sounds like he has fun with the coach. How can you be having fun when your a bottom dweller team? Happy Nico is the captain over someone like Hughes.

Jack is a tremendous talent, that much is evident. But listening to him when he speaks, there's still an immaturity present that needs to change. There never seems to be any sincerity to his answers to questions, as if he just wants to reply with a stock answer. It's possible that there are others in that age group who need to grow up and fast as well. Yes, he's only 20 (soon to be 21) and maturity can be severely lacking at that age, but it's not acceptable when you're supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL - I don't give a f*** how much money you earn per season.

There's been mention here that the younger players love Subban, but no mention of what it is they love about him. Is it his game attitude, his good nature, his banter with them? In other words, is he trying to be the great older guy on the team to chill with? f*** that. It's like the parent who wants to be a friend to their kid. Let me know how that works out with instilling direction and discipline. If Subban fits that mold, he needs to be moved on from and it needs to be made clear to everyone in that locker room that Nico is the captain, PERIOD. Severson, FWIW should also be wearing an "A" next season every game. From his comments at the end of both last season and the other night, it sounds to me like he wants to be a Devil beyond his contract next season, but at a certain point, enough is enough. There needs to be accountability and maturity from all of the younger players otherwise this franchise is doomed to recycling the same results year after year.

Again, there needs to be the same will and desire to win with everyone and the pecking order starts with Nico, otherwise 3.0 is around the corner.

Last edited:

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I can dream but...

Assuming Johnny gaudreau doesn’t want to resign in Calgary and is willing to sign in NJ and Ville Husso tests free agency....

Our first and second and third this year plus bratt plus Zacha for the rights to Johnny gaudreau and Mathew tkachuk. Resign both to identical 8x10.5 contracts. Sign Ville Husso to 5x5 contract as UFA
In addition to this I would also sign evander Kane to a 1 year contract to play with Hughes and holtz

Gaudreau Hischier Tkachuk
Kane Hughes Holtz

• Haha
Reactions: McDuffz88

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
In addition to this I would also sign evander Kane to a 1 year contract to play with Hughes and holtz

Gaudreau Hischier Tkachuk
Kane Hughes Holtz
Lmao I guess you never heard of cap space before have you? To have that lineup it would take more then half the teams salary cap on just 5 players. Also Holtz ain't ready for a top 6 spot.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Jack is a tremendous talent, that much is evident. But listening to him when he speaks, there's still an immaturity present that needs to change. There never seems to be any sincerity to his answers to questions, as if he just wants to reply with a stock answer. It's possible that there are others in that age group who need to grow up and fast as well. Yes, he's only 20 (soon to be 21) and maturity can be severely lacking at that age, but it's not acceptable when you're supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL - I don't give a f*** how much money you earn per season.
On the contrary, I feel he's super honest and up front with his beliefs and thoughts in interviews. He also doesn't shy away from letting his confidence show in interviews. To me, that's really far from giving "stock answers".

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

There's been mention here that the younger players love Subban, but no mention of what it is they love about him. Is it his game attitude, his good nature, his banter with them? In other words, is he trying to be the great older guy on the team to chill with? f*** that. It's like the parent who wants to be a friend to their kid. Let me know how that works out with instilling direction and discipline. If Subban fits that mold, he needs to be moved on from and it needs to be made clear to everyone in that locker room that Nico is the captain, PERIOD. Severson, FWIW should also be wearing an "A" next season every game. From his comments at the end of both last season and the other night, it sounds to me like he wants to be a Devil beyond his contract next season, but at a certain point, enough is enough. There needs to be accountability and maturity from all of the younger players otherwise this franchise is doomed to recycling the same results year after year.

Again, there needs to be the same will and desire to win with everyone and the pecking order starts with Nico, otherwise 3.0 is around the corner.

I don’t see Jack as insincere and it’s pretty wild that people are upset a 20 year kid didn’t publicly drag his coach so they could get their jollies.

So he likes Ruff? The guy he works with and for? The guy he’s supposed to listen to, learn from and take orders from? And that’s bad because he’s already fired in your head.

It’s a little different when you know the guy, I expect players to be stunned if/when Ruff gets it. Part of the reason you do that is to have that effect.

Of course Hughes went through that in 2019-20. We do want to avoid the other cliche of endlessly struggling team, like the Oilers and Sabres, with their ever-changing cast of coaches. Taylor Hall had 5 head coaches (w/ one interim) in 6 years while in Edmonton.

Yes, the 20 year old shouldn’t have been made Captain and wasn’t. I’m glad Nico’s leadership is getting recognized now (not sure why it wasn’t when he first got the C). Not every player is the same.

Jack made incredible advances as a player while only playing in 49 games this season. He takes his game seriously. The idea that he’s some lackadaisical hot dog is bizarre to me.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I don’t see Jack as insincere and it’s pretty wild that people are upset a 20 year kid didn’t publicly drag his coach so they could get their jollies.

So he likes Ruff? The guy he works with and for? The guy he’s supposed to listen to, learn from and take orders from? And that’s bad because he’s already fired in your head.

It’s a little different when you know the guy, I expect players to be stunned if/when Ruff gets it. Part of the reason you do that is to have that effect.

Of course Hughes went through that in 2019-20. We do want to avoid the other cliche of endlessly struggling team, like the Oilers and Sabres, with their ever-changing cast of coaches. Taylor Hall had 5 head coaches (w/ one interim) in 6 years while in Edmonton.

Yes, the 20 year old shouldn’t have been made Captain and wasn’t. I’m glad Nico’s leadership is getting recognized now (not sure why it wasn’t when he first got the C). Not every player is the same.

Jack made incredible advances as a player while only playing in 49 games this season. He takes his game seriously. The idea that he’s some lackadaisical hot dog is bizarre to me.
amen-anchorman.gif

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Yes.

Would be interesting to read this year's exit interviews(all of them in article form like the above links instead of tweets) and compare the differences (aside from the obvious "players no longer here" thing).

If the players are having the most fun ever under coach while finishing 28th you need to get rid of the coach. You also need to get rid of said players too.
Which means getting rid of Jack as well. :huh:

I get what you're going for but Jack liking Ruff kinda throws a monkey-wrench here. LOL.

We're trading our 1st for a UFA?
Post automatically merged:

Hypo. Bratts negotiations are highly contencious....cgy wants our 1st and Bratt for Tkachuk... who says no ?
1st *and* Bratt? Too rich for anyone's blood.

It should be either/or here.

But this is, like you said, Hypo (meaning it won't ever happen. I'm very confident in that the negotiations will go relatively smoothly).

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad