Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
The Adidas jerseys are completely gone from the site it seems. This is terribly disappointing. I wanted to order one, but I know that the Hughes one won't come in until after the game. THey had a blank one up, but couldn't tell if you could get it customized later. The NHL blows. Bettman should be fired - his time has long gone, he's a dinosaur and the league is suffering for his old way of leading.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Everyone on this thread right now
View attachment 815010

and then there's me :thumbu:

Screen Shot 2024-02-05 at 4.30.04 PM.png

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
The Adidas jerseys are completely gone from the site it seems. This is terribly disappointing. I wanted to order one, but I know that the Hughes one won't come in until after the game. THey had a blank one up, but couldn't tell if you could get it customized later. The NHL blows. Bettman should be fired - his time has long gone, he's a dinosaur and the league is suffering for his old way of leading.
I had one in my cart and now it's completely removed. This is actually insane. Idk how they screwed this up so bad. It's baffling.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Thanks, homie.

This is cool, but a lil expensive.

and you know I've gotta get one of these:

120$ for a hoodie? insanity.

shit, if i wanted something like that i'd go to costco instead and buy a black one and sew on a devils logo myself

...as i realize im actually wearing a black zip up hoodie right now... :laugh:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Many of the owners are also dinosaurs.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
While I don't like to be critical of Wheeler because he's a good guy who puts the work in, I've always felt his rankings were severely lacking.

Still, with no Nemec & Hughes, the Devils severely drop. It's tough to complain, considering Hughes & Nemec both look every bit like future Norris candidates.

Right now, I'd look at our top 7 as something like:

1 Casey
2 Gritsyuk
3 Vilen
4 Bardakov
5 Karpovich
6 Barabosha
7 Orlov

But Wheeler tends to overlook both non-high profile Russians and defensive defensemen, and tends to hang onto his old favorites who haven't developed, so I wouldn't be surprised if he had AHL hopefuls like Salminen and Shlaine in his top 5.

But with the loss of blue-chippers Hughes, Nemec and Holtz, I'd say the strength of the NJ system is Russian depth prospects, since the team has drafted extremely well there in recent years. Still, I agree with you that, right now, it's probably not a top 20 prospect pool.

“Right now, I'd look at our top 7 as something like:
1 Casey
2 Gritsyuk
3 Vilen
4 Bardakov
5 Karpovich
6 Barabosha
7 Orlov”

Why you no like Lenni lol?

We can guess what his list will look like. (Yes, I have overthought this, don’t judge.)

Wheeler had a Top 100 for the 2023 Draft, Hameenaho (#53) & Squires (#90) were listed, while Karpovich was a HM (out of 27 players).

He had a Summer Top 50 Top Drafted Prospects in July 2023: Luke (#7), Nemec (#8), Holtz (#34), and both Casey & Mukhamadullin were HM (out of 77 players). So we have one left there, bit of a drop. (Unless he’s weird about Nemec.)

Orlov was his final cut last Feb. The other graduates could be replaced by some of his other HMs: Edwards, Malek & Schlaine. (And, uh, theoretically Salminen.)

Bardakov & Barabosha? I like Bardakov, and hope he signs, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he wasn’t on the list.

Barabosha seemingly isn’t the type of defenseman he goes for, but he had Misyul on his list every year somewhere.

Hell, in 2020 he said this about Zaitsev (#20):
Zaitsev is one of those defenders who is unremarkable in most areas but just keeps progressing up levels, earning more minutes and defending well. He’s now an everyday KHL defender who defends the rush and the cycle at a high level for his game and moves the puck efficiently. I think he should give North America a shot — and that the Devils should consider signing him.

Okhotiuk in 2022 (#14):
Picture a shot-blocking, hard-nosed, stay-at-home defender who defends at a high enough level and can move the puck just enough to maybe make that style work in a game with fewer and fewer of those types left. That’s Okhotyuk. A decade or two ago, he would have been closer to the norm than to the exception but now he’s angling to prove he can be the latter. He’s a throwback in the truest sense and a darn good one. And while he’s got some limitations in his defensive game, he’ll be a fine NHLer.

You have to find acceptance in your heart and overlook his boundless enthusiasm for tiny offensive defensemen that he says will perfect for a sheltered 2PP QB (which isn’t a thing anymore Scott).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We got more cap relief coming for *redacted*

Relevant question for this thread, is Fitz going to use any of the freed up cap space from LTIR and other things to try and jump start this team since he won't fire Ruff?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
This kind of thing is why I like the Pronman method of just doing U23.

I think they pair well. Pronman was doing Prospect Pool rankings at first and then switched over when Wheeler came. (IIRC but I can’t swear to it lol. Brain melted.)

Wheeler’s intuitive approach to gauging when a player graduates has its pluses and minuses but it can also drive some readers crazy.

In his January 2022 list for Ottawa, Wheeler graduated an injured Shane Pinto but left Erik Brannstrom, who played in more NHL games but also was in the AHL that season, on the prospect list.

IMG_3295.jpeg

I still remember that because it annoyed the shit out of some Sens fans unhappy with with their #17 ranking. Pinto was out for the year and now this lol.

The thing that annoys me personally is his “under 23 (25 for goalies)” rule doesn’t have a declared set date. I guess the article date is the cutoff? He doesn’t make that clear though, and if that’s it then boo hiss, because that’s annoying.

Not sure why he can’t just say Feb 1st or use the Draft age cut off (Sep 15). f***ing anything other than just “under 23” with no explanation.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
We got more cap relief coming for *redacted*

Relevant question for this thread, is Fitz going to use any of the freed up cap space from LTIR and other things to try and jump start this team since he won't fire Ruff?

It's not clear yet what 'cap relief' means. Is it like the cap relief from LTIR, where the Devils can replace it dollar-for-dollar, or is it as though McLeod and Foote aren't on the cap at all? There's a fundamental difference that could affect what the Devils do. They really don't want to be up at the cap at season's end if they can at all help it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $871.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium