Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
ran into Timo at the hoboken terminal an hour ago, asked him how he was and he gave the thumbs up..
my wife goes, how did you know it was Timo? I said theres no way you cant recognize that nose

He’s taking a train? Sounds like a random spot to run into a player. Was he surpsied he was recognized?

Reactions: mdj12784

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
He’s taking a train? Sounds like a random spot to run into a player. Was he surpsied he was recognized?

Considering the fact most hockey players are anonymous locally and the fact the team trains near mass transit it’s not as surprising as it should be, especially if certain players also live near mass transit.

dont worry, i got this...

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Love to see how good Jack's been this year when healthy but man, just shows that the rest of the team has been absolute CHEEKS. The rest of these bums better step up
Eh, someone followed up with Chayka and she mentioned those splits are all situations. She posted a pure 5v5 chart, and it is pretty even with Jack on/off ice.

Most of his value-add this season has been on the PP (which matters!).

This must include all situations. No way it’s this bad 5 on 5. It’s probably really close actually
You got it.

Am I the only one extremely concerned that our entire team relies on a single player to function? I mean, I've heard of one-line teams, but one-man teams?
See above.

Reactions: Oneiro and My3Sons

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

I don’t doubt Jack’s importance but this is some garbage data. Further down the thread, Megan says it’s all situations and not just 5v5.

So that means all the “with Jack” minutes include the insane amount of PP time he gets, and all the “without Jack” minutes include basically all the penalty kill time, which is why the differentials look so much worse.

Remember during the summer when I told you last season was all Jack and you said that was ridiculous and that this was a deep team....just saying.
Devils have a better goal differential with Jack off the ice than on at 5v5 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FascinationStreet

Dec 6, 2021
jack coming back ain't gonna do sh*t.
if the team starts winning when he gets back its going to be due to a lot more than him.
If he returns to dominate form they still need so much more from this team to be even close to what the top teams are doing.

Unrelated I'm starting to become disappointed at giving Haula his contract if he can't be permanently locked in at 3C.

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022
Has Ruff even given him an extended look there? Feels like the lines are blended daily. I do think/agree he can play better in general though, but he's also been injured, had a kid etc. It's been a not so ideal season for much of the team.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
if the team starts winning when he gets back its going to be due to a lot more than him.
If he returns to dominate form they still need so much more from this team to be even close to what the top teams are doing.

Unrelated I'm starting to become disappointed at giving Haula his contract if he can't be permanently locked in at 3C.
I'm still worried about our goaltending. I think we all should be.

Maybe Vitek's post-all star break is better than his pre-all star break. It can't be too much worse.

I don't even think if he's a .920% for the rest of the season (with roughly 22 games played) that would even be enough for him to finish .900% on the season.

FascinationStreet

Dec 6, 2021
I'm still worried about our goaltending. I think we all should be.

Maybe Vitek's post-all star break is better than his pre-all star break. It can't be too much worse.
I'm with you man. Don't expect much from VV. But goaltending is such crazy voodoo who knows.
Thats why I don't want to give up any crucial assets for a goalie. Just throw cheap darts at the board until you hit on one

I want 2-3 new goalies on this extended roster, AHL included, next year or Fitz has failed

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm with you man. Don't expect much from VV. But goaltending is such crazy voodoo who knows.
Thats why I don't want to give up any crucial assets for a goalie. Just throw cheap darts at the board until you hit on one

I want 2-3 new goalies on this extended roster, AHL included, next year or Fitz has failed
I would like to see the goalie coach fired. No use in bringing anybody else in with this current goalie coach. He's gotta go before someone new comes in.

I just ran the numbers

If Vitek has a .920% for the rest of the season and plays 22 more games, while averaging 30 shots faced per night, he'll finish with a .902%.

It wouldn't even have to be the best run he's had as a Devil, but it would have to be at least close to it. I'm sure he had a 20 game split of .920% at some point last season or close to it.

That said, we may have seen the worst of him this season, but I don't realistically think we'll be seeing the best of him either.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

It will definitely do shit.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Haula is averaging .5 ppg, still excellent in the dot this year and is signed for barely over 3 million.

If he's doing that I really have no complaints if he's playing center, Wing, or whatever

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I kind of feel a 10-ish game run coming... starting around the 2nd/3rd week of this month....I think so.

Haula is averaging .5 ppg, still excellent in the dot this year and is signed for barely over 3 million.

If he's doing that I really have no complaints if he's playing center, Wing, or whatever
I've come to appreciate Haula very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad