Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Tomas Tatar - 2 years @ $4.5M AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I am a recent NJ convert! I come in peace! Tatar is a very good supporting player and should look good next to Nico or Jack. He'll help their two-way games and in transition (not that Jack needs the help in that area).

Excellent signing.

I think your correct.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Where does this put Foote and maybe Mercer if he’s ready at all?

Zacha to wing stead of 3c? Figured Foote at least would see time on that third line with Zacha. Assuming Jack and Nico stil 1C/2C.

I guess this a sign they not confident enough that Mercer is close enough? Holtz definitely not ready which makes sense. But perhaps Foote not as ready as he seemed?

Not sure who Mercer would overtake even if he were ready.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Zacha at center to me is fine if you staple Bratt to him. Bratt has a similar impact that center vs wing does on him. Then you have Tatar, Sharangovich, Kuokkanen, Tarasenko as the wings with Jack/Nico
This Stockholm Syndrome or something, “Zacha at center is fine”? It’s not fine. It’s just not. Stop saying that.

Zacha isn’t good defensively at center and actually got his 5v5 goal scoring going on wing. I’m not giving up my dream of him not being at 3C until pre-season game line-ups make it crumble. I thought I was beyond “Zacha is bad defensively at center and has some other real issues too there” “discussions” and I probably should give up there for my own well-being but I so… so relieved it was over. I really thought the improvement of him at wing was obvious and couldn’t be denied… It was so freeing…

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Zacha to wing stead of 3c? Figured Foote at least would see time on that third line. Assuming Jack and Nico stil 1C/2C.

I guess this a sign they not confident enough that Mercer is close enough? Holtz definitely not ready which makes sense. But perhaps Foote not as ready as he seemed?

Not sure who Mercer oil does overtake even if he were ready.

Mercer can start in the AHL. If he really dominates, then he's an option.

Still looks like there's room for Foote in the regular lineup.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Zacha to wing stead of 3c? Figured Foote at least would see time on that third line. Assuming Jack and Nico stil 1C/2C.

There is still at least one roster spot open at forward, even if you assume that Boqvist is on the team

Hughes
Hischier
Bratt
Zacha
Tatar
Sharangovich
Kuokkanen
Wood
Johnsson
McLeod
Boqvist

thats only 11. There is still plenty of room for at least one of Foote, Mercer, or Holtz to be on the team.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I'm not so I agree with that...I mean I don't want to put a guy that can't stay healthy on equal footing with a guy who can...It is great that you put up .59 ppg in 79 games...But 124 games were played during that period...Someone being out for 50 games of 124 hurts the team as much as .59ppg helped the team.

Assuming injuries of the past are going to continue doesn't seem like a valid way to plan for the future but you do you.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011

Zacha to wing stead of 3c? Figured Foote at least would see time on that third line with Zacha. Assuming Jack and Nico stil 1C/2C.

Third line time for all of these guys which is honestly the ideal situation. Putting raw kids out on top 6 roles and expecting and quite frankly banking on them to produce is a great way to be a lottery team once more. Giving them more sheltered third and fourth line time lets them cut their teeth a little versus being thrown to the wolves.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Montreal moved on because of the playoff stuff. You don't give Hoffman an extra year at the same cap hit instead of signing Tatar if it was just about being replaced internally
Yeah, and Hoffman had his own healthy scratches too. Hoffman was signed because Montreal need to replace Tatar after burning that bridge in the playoffs.

Hoffman at 3 years/4.5m is worse to me.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I know it is hard to accept for many...But over the last two years Zacha has produced more points than any player on the team....If he is not a reliable top 6 option, no one is.

PlayerPosGPGAP
Pavel ZachaC115254267
Kyle PalmieriR99332962
Jesper BrattL106233962
Jack HughesC117183452
Damon SeversonD125114152
Nikita GusevL86153449
Miles WoodL123282048
Nico HischierC79202747
Travis ZajacC102162743
P.K. SubbanD112122537
Will ButcherD7952732
Blake ColemanC57211031
Yegor SharangovichC54161430
Sami VatanenD7772229
Taylor HallL3061925
Janne KuokkanenL5181725
Wayne SimmondsR6181624
Ty SmithD4822123
Michael McLeodC649817
Ryan MurrayD4801414
Nick MerkleyR313912
Andreas JohnssonL505611
Andy GreeneD532911
Jesper BoqvistC638311
Nathan BastianR413710
Mikhail MaltsevL33639
Kevin RooneyC49459
Connor CarrickD40268
Mirco MuellerD50257
Joey AndersonR18426
Matt TennysonD41156
Dakota MermisD10134
John HaydenC43314
Fredrik ClaessonD5112
Nolan FooteL6112
Kevin BahlD7022
Marian StudenicR8112
Dmitry KulikovD38022
Ben StreetC3011
Tyce ThompsonR7011
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I have to admit I had Subban, Simmonds and Mermis all penciled in my top six before I saw this spreadsheet.

Reactions: theoptimist

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
We really need McLeod to take a step forward, or for someone else to step into that 3rd line center role.

I just don't think that Mikey is skilled enough to do that offensively. I think he's going to have a good career throwing his body around and flying up and down the ice, but that's it. Boqvist has the offensive skill, but is 23 and has yet to prove that he's an NHLer (not entirely his fault). He'd be ideal to find that role, but I don't know how you have that be plan A going into the season and I don't know that he's good enough defensively.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
No not really. I don't think I was ever negative on him either. I just think over the last two seasons he has been a solid contributor and that he's not getting enough credit for it.

tenor.gif

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I think Mercer and Holtz are almost certainly starting in the AHL and will be depth in case of injury or guys struggling.

I think Foote may too, as Zetterlund being a righty, and more of a 4th line kind of guy, may get the 4th line rw spot.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

If Mercer forces his way onto the roster, great. But that's certainly not my expectation nor my plan. I would assume he spends the entirety of the year in Utica this year.

Preference is certainly that Zacha be on the wing with Nico and Bratt and not 3c, but until I see some other concrete plan in place for the final center position, its' possible he ends up there. Foote I think gets one more year mostly in utica but maybe serves as the priority call up during the season and maybe sees 10-20 games or something? I suppose that he could finagle his way into a bottom six role, but truthfully I kind of don't want him there. But it's whatever.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We really need McLeod to take a step forward, or for someone else to step into that 3rd line center role.
As I've noted a fair amount already, I'm perfectly fine with Boqvist in that spot to start next year.

Now if they bring in a vet, that makes us a deeper team, and Boqvist can go help Holtz acclimate in Utica for a bit. So even though I'm pro Boq, there are multiple benefits to finding a 3c.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad