Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Tomas Tatar - 2 years @ $4.5M AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Camille the Eel

lol It's so hard to take some of you seriously. Imagine thinking Neal or Perry are better fits. Absolute insanity
I would certainly have preferred Perry. If you read what I typed, you will see that I said Neal was finished but he is the style of player I would have preferred.

Thank gosh it’s only 2 years. How it works out, time will tell. Would love to have a screen shot of these assessments to revisit around next March.

I see us as wanting to make a move, any move, and don’t see how this improves us.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yea his player profile is a bit Coleman-lite
He has a rocket of a shot too...I saw him score from in between the blueline and the top of the circles with a laser beam live, it was impressive...I am a little shocked he only has 15 goals in 80 AHL games...but that is probably appropriate for someone getting 3rd line time. Guy is built like a stump too. :)

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Where does this put Foote and maybe Mercer if he’s ready at all?

Zacha to wing stead of 3c? Figured Foote at least would see time on that third line with Zacha. Assuming Jack and Nico stil 1C/2C.

I guess this a sign they not confident enough that Mercer is close enough? Holtz definitely not ready which makes sense. But perhaps Foote not as ready as he seemed?

Not sure who Mercer would overtake even if he were ready.
I don’t care what kind of camp Mercer has, I’d prefer him in Utica. He’s played zero professional hockey and he didn’t play that much hockey last season in general (27 regular season and 9 playoff games in QMJHL plus 7 WJC games).

He’s not a great skater so the idea that he’ll immediately be able to keep up with pace of the NHL game seems unlikely to me. And he can play center in Utica, he be 4C in NJ if he played center. He’s not an incredible prospect specifically at the center position, there’s no way (IMO) that he grabs the 3C spot right out of juniors.

Holtz is a wild card to me in terms of making the team, it depends where his skating is after he worked on that this summer. It’s top 6 or bust right now though. Probably not?

Foote had 24 AHL games and 6 NHL game. Who knows, it depends completely on what he does in camp.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Ok so Tatar is a great signing for the Devs, but when Seravelli speculated he was coming to us, it was a horrid proposition and he was a terrible player..

Never change, HFB.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I would certainly have preferred Perry. If you read what I typed, you will see that I said Neal was finished but he is the style of player I would have preferred.

Thank gosh it’s only 2 years. How it works out, time will tell. Would love to have a screen shot of these assessments to revisit around next March.

I see us as wanting to make a move, any move, and don’t see how this improves us.
Perry is Cup chasing, he was never in the mix. After a player has made 88.5m (Cap Friendly career estimate) you can’t really lure them by throwing a little extra there way. Perry does a lot less offensively, but he gets dirty goals on his own, helps out defensively on your bottom six and there are definite intangibles. I’d love that but he wasn’t an option.

Neal’s a worse player and sounds like a worse teammate. He’s a power play shooter but, ehhh…

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
He has a rocket of a shot too...I saw him score from in between the blueline and the top of the circles with a laser beam live, it was impressive...I am a little shocked he only has 15 goals in 80 AHL games...but that is probably appropriate for someone getting 3rd line time. Guy is built like a stump too. :)

I loved the shootout slap shot goal

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I am a recent NJ convert! I come in peace! Tatar is a very good supporting player and should look good next to Nico or Jack. He'll help their two-way games and in transition (not that Jack needs the help in that area).

Excellent signing.

Hello!!! That's 2 of us from the Vancouver pages, but I guess I have a more vested interest since the Comets are now the AHL affiliate of the Devils.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ok so Tatar is a great signing for the Devs, but when Seravelli speculated he was coming to us, it was a horrid proposition and he was a terrible player..

Never change, HFB.

People assumed he'd be getting more than a two-year deal if he was signed in early August though. I don't think anyone has a real problem with this signing on a two-year deal, other than just picking on the fact we signed another finesse winger but signed is the key word here. We didn't trade a 2nd for a guy with a busted shoulder making almost twice as much money or a 2 and a 3 for a guy who's never played in the NHL. Nor did we get ridiculous on term.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
People assumed he'd be getting more than a two-year deal if he was signed in early August though. I don't think anyone has a real problem with this signing on a two-year deal, other than just picking on the fact we signed another finesse winger but signed is the key word here. We didn't trade a 2nd for a guy with a busted shoulder making almost twice as much money or a 2 and a 3 for a guy who's never played in the NHL. Nor did we get ridiculous on term.
Tarasenko shoulder is now actually fixed and hes going to smoke Tatar numbers wise. I'd be willing to bet money on that.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Never change, HFB.
Again I don’t see people radically changing their opinion. There were people here who wanted Tatar signed before this. Honestly there were.

Also some people who weren’t “interested” in Tatar have likely warmed up to him because of the term of the deal. Two years isn’t anything. We have good amount of cap space this year and 9m goes away next year.

Also people who prefer getting Tarasenko are coming to accept that we’re maybe/probably not getting him. We do need scoring. People were slobbering over Meier and he’s, lets’s just say, known for motivational issues and had an off-year.

People just want more scoring. As the saying goes don’t let perfect be the enemy of good when it comes to getting a dude here to pot a few. (The last part is not how the saying goes but you know what I mean.)

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I wanted to trade Palmieri for Tatar last season so I’m cool with this move. I think Tatar will be a better fit next to Hughes then Palmieri was. We probably over paid up to 1 mil but it’s ok it’s only 2 years. Tatar should be productive during the season

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

If we are in a position to make a move that means we are headed toward the playoffs and its worked.

If we are not then its not the end of the world and we probably arent a playoff team anyway.

Its literally a win/win.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

Never change, HFB.
it'd be bad if it was longer than this, but now that pickings are slim, this is fine. we're not saying it's a GREAT signing, but it's an improvement for us for the next two years

did you come on here just to point out hypocrisy? legitimate question, because i don't recognize you

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
We really need McLeod to take a step forward, or for someone else to step into that 3rd line center role.
I agree and I actually think Wood will join him on that 3rd line. That line really got the trust of Ruff and played big minutes towards the end of last season. It pretty much became a 3rd line, after Palmieri, Zajac trade. So I expect it to continue.

Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Tatar-Hughes-Sharangovich
Wood-McLeod-Kuokkonen
Johnsson-Boqvist-Zetterland

Reactions: JK3 and JimEIV

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wanted to trade Palmieri for Tatar last season so I’m cool with this move. I think Tatar will be a better fit next to Hughes then Palmieri was. We probably over paid up to 1 mil but it’s ok it’s only 2 years. Tatar should be productive during the season
I’m waiting for someone to say (maybe it’s already happened and I missed it. I didn’t read the whole thread) this was a waste and we could have just re-signed Palmieri.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I agree and I actually think Wood will join him on that 3rd line. That line really got the trust of Ruff and played big minutes towards the end of last season. It pretty much became a 3rd line, after Palmieri, Zajac trade. So I expect it to continue.

Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Tatar-Hughes-Sharangovich
Wood-McLeod-Kuokkonen
Johnsson-Boqvist-Zetterland
Think I like Zetterlund with Wood and McLeod, try to replicate Wood McLeod Bastian which showed some promise.

Also like the skill of Kuok with Johnsson and Boqvist, though unless late season Boq is a sign of bigger things, that is a line lacking a shooter, let alone a goal scorer.

Reactions: Oneiro and JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Think I like Zetterlund with Wood and McLeod, try to replicate Wood McLeod Bastian which showed some promise.

Also like the skill of Kuok with Johnsson and Boqvist, though unless late season Boq is a sign of bigger things, that is a line lacking a shooter, let alone a goal scorer.
It's not bad at all I think..

Wood-Mcleod-Zetterlund/Kuokkanen sounds like a decent bottom 6 line to me...that might even be able to be our 3rd line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad