Rumor: Devils looking to move Subban?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
I’m not a huge Subban fan but I doubt he suddenly forgot how to play hockey after he arrived in NJ, I think it’s more likely the team is so bad that he’s unable to do much. I don’t see him as a play driver, more like someone who is capable of taking advantage of a good situation. I can see a team wanting him @ 50%

This is very much the case imo. Is Subban's cap hit higher than his play value? Definitely. But his most recent season was much better than his 1st in NJ. He's still a competent 2nd pairing guy. It's just that NJ's defense was atrocious last year (among many years), so he was put in the position of playing significantly more than he would on a team with a half-decent defensive core. Subban logged 22:21 average toi per game...2nd most among skaters and only ~7 seconds behind the top toi average.

I'm rambling, but just wanted to agree with you here. We all know Subban isn't the same defender as he was when he won the Norris, but he's still a serviceable defenseman and would be a good addition (especially with salary retention) to a defensive core that won't require him to play top-pairing minutes.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
If PK is a 3RD for 1 more season, I think we can live with that. If you're telling me he performs well as 3RD and the team does well, I'm not even opposed to resigning on a inexpensive deal to keep that role if no young D ready to step in.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
If Weber doesn't retire and plans to be back for 2022-2023 season, i would take Subban at full cap with a big sweetener attached. Like a 1st or good prospect.

Ya the team that just picked 4th is probably gonna attach a 1st when they have cap flexibility...

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
For pure chaos reasons, I'd love to see Subban and Doughty paired together.

Reactions: Kalv

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The Hockey News' Lyle Richardson has Bruins and Maple Leafs linked to Subban
Link

He was just citing Jimmy Murphy's article though and let's just say Murphy's track record is a bit spotty / he's not listed as a trusted source on HF. Albeit the notion that the Devils would trade Subban closer to the deadline makes sense if they're not in playoff contention.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Kind of silly, Leafs have no way to add a 9M contract even if Subban was good. They might have interest next year on a super cheap contract, I could see that. Same goes for the Bruins I would think.

Jersey still has tons of cap space anyway, might as well just ride it out.

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
I’m sure someone said it before but wouldn’t it be quite something if Subban was back on the Habs (50% retained) to replace Weber. Lol
If there was anywhere he could have a career rejuvenation it’s in Montreal (honestly he lost the fire inside since he left, even considering his success in Nashville) but NO way Berg even remotely considers it with how things ended.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Minority player that has/had a big mouth. P.K. when in Montreal was a rock star for the Canadian media. Flamboyant, controversial, but also generous and a great philanthropist.
When he left Montreal, he dropped off the radar, had a small blip when connected to that American skier, then nothing. For his aspiring broadcast career, Tronta be the place. Sportsnet and TSN will be waiting.

What did Subban ever do that was controversial?

Reactions: Wats

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Y
Kind of silly, Leafs have no way to add a 9M contract even if Subban was good. They might have interest next year on a super cheap contract, I could see that. Same goes for the Bruins I would think.

Jersey still has tons of cap space anyway, might as well just ride it out.
eah you've got it already sire. The leafs ain't gon do this. That rumour is fake news, it ain't happening. He also wouldn't be able to handle the pressure in toronto like so many others can't do it neither sire. The leafs might be interested after this season, not now. Its' over and aborted, period.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Y

eah you've got it already sire. The leafs ain't gon do this. That rumour is fake news, it ain't happening. He also wouldn't be able to handle the pressure in toronto like so many others can't do it neither sire. The leafs might be interested after this season, not now. Its' over and aborted, period.

There’s a few things you can criticize about Subban, but succumbing to pressure is not one of them.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
He was just citing Jimmy Murphy's article though and let's just say Murphy's track record is a bit spotty / he's not listed as a trusted source on HF. Albeit the notion that the Devils would trade Subban closer to the deadline makes sense if they're not in playoff contention.

You mean Jimmy Murphy from the 'Marchand for Marleau' rumor fame.

Reactions: Favin

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
There’s a few things you can criticize about Subban, but succumbing to pressure is not one of them.
He cans and wills handle some, montreal is not toronto though, its different and he was younger and crazier then. Now he can't handle even jersey at times. He cool, I love his character and gezame sire. Real hard. But he would crumble under pressure like mccabe did back in his prime in toronto... I can already see it. Subban'sa game itself is not the factor for me sire. I like his gezame for certainly. But he just doesn't fit in toronto character wise. We already have so many flawed ones and trying to make it better. Even Joe's character was not the right fit for us. We already have goofy and ducks, we aint's need them no mo. We need different type of souljas, for life sire.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
NJ already paid Subban his $6 million bonus, they owe him $2 million the rest of the way. Now they're going to trade him so ...who exactly?? can play RD on the third pair.

Yeah, makes a lot of sense.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Nothing really new here. I think most reasonable people assumed there would be some interest in Subban at the upcoming TDL with NJ retaining 50% of his salary, pending how his upcoming season goes. With the Devils acquisitions of Hamilton, Tatar & Bernier along with the continued maturation of their young core, it remains to be seen if the Devils will clearly out of playoff contention by the time the TDL rolls around this year. If so, you'd have to imagine Subban would be dealt if there's a reasonable enough return...even if they're still hanging around, there's a chance he could still be dealt. I also wouldn't put it past them to hold onto him for another season if he was willing to sign a one-year extension, depending on how things look with their RD depth, which for the 2022-2023 season largely relies on the progression of Reilly Walsh.

Any which way, nothing happens until close to the TDL.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Ducks love defensemen and are looking for some offense from all positions. They also could be up to take on some assets for bad contracts.

But I don't see why the Devils would part with him when they can keep him themselves.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
What about a double retentino?
NJD to team A at 50% retention
Team A to Boston (just for example) at 50% retention.

$2.25m for a guy who can be an average 2nd pairing guy isnt bad if you think he can still be that.
If he ends up being an average 3rd pairing guy, the cost of getting the double retention is porbbaly too high.

Would Buffalo make sense? They are still under the cap, and if they move Eichel they may end up either farther away from the cap floor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad