Rumor: Devils looking to move Subban?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RABBIT

AKA Turd Ferguson
But why? He's on his last year of the contract. Devils can just wait it out rather than paying anything to have him be taken. They're not trying to compete right now or looking to add a ton of players to their cap.

I'm sure they'll make an offer. But could you make even the most remotely coherent argument as to why NJ would give up assets to get him off the books?

Why would the Devils add any kind of sweetener? He's in the last year of his contract and they could eat part of the deal and actually get something at the deadline. You're suggesting instead of getting something back for him they should trade him away and *add* something?

Why would they even consider that?

The Coyotes want nothing to do with that contract.

Subban risks them going past the Sabres in standings.

wasn’t thinking it through, all good points. If the contract was longer, I could see them wanting to get out of it. If I were them I would want to ride it out as well and retain heavily on him at deadline if selling

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
But was he not quite good part of the season
I remember people said that

Yeah he was actually pretty decent for part of last season. I'm excited to see him in a, presumably, 3rd pair role behind Hamilton and Severson. With less responsibility I think he can have a good year. Which is why I see no reason for the Devils to be looking to move him.

Reactions: tellermine

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Yeah he was actually pretty decent for part of last season. I'm excited to see him in a, presumably, 3rd pair role behind Hamilton and Severson. With less responsibility I think he can have a good year. Which is why I see no reason for the Devils to be looking to move him.

I expect him to stick around until the trade deadline.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
At 9 mil a year less responsibility that works for me.................18 Mil tied up in a slow footed Dman and I really believe a overrated Dman.............good luck New Jersey......

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Wonder how he would do in the shatty role for Tampa. Not that I think its a good idea just wonder how he would do.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
f*** it I'll bite. What's the ask from Tampa at the TDL?
Well it’s got to be your 2022 first because 2022 5th isn’t going to do it.

What else is there? I don’t see Foote brothers being reunited, Foote seems too valuable in terms of salary and position for Tampa. (I don’t have strong opinions about Cal Foote as a player either but we need RD and love brothers.)

Last edited:

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
So when are the articles about NYR being interested coming out?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Well it’s got to be your 2002 first because 2002 5th isn’t going to do it.

What else is there? I don’t see Foote brothers being reunited, Foote seems too valuable in terms of salary and position for Tampa. (I don’t have strong opinions about Cal Foote as a player either but we need RD and love brothers.)

2002?

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah, I’m really high on Alex Steen and Cam Ward, hopefully they’re still available when Tampa’s pick happens. (I’m assuming there won’t be a three-peat.)

Or you can throw another 2 in that year. That works too. (I typed it twice too lol)

I did fix it.

Reactions: RyGuy

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
PK Subban was a dynamic fast defender when he was young. Age has made him decline fast since he doesn’t have that explosiveness anymore.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yeah, I’m really high on Alex Steen and Cam Ward, hopefully they’re still available when Tampa’s pick happens. (I’m assuming there won’t be a three-peat.)

Or you can throw another 2 in that year. That works too. (I typed it twice too lol)

I did fix it.

Why is Subban at his salary and playing condition worth as much as David Savard was?

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
Why is Subban at his salary and playing condition worth as much as David Savard was?

The difference between 1st year Subban on the Devils and 2nd year Subban was night and day. He was very solid last year.

Still doubtful he will get a 1st back, but with the Devils ability to eat half his salary and take back a bad contract (and the low real $$$ spent) I can see him having good value.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

TF1970

May 9, 2021
The difference between 1st year Subban on the Devils and 2nd year Subban was night and day. He was very solid last year.

Still doubtful he will get a 1st back, but with the Devils ability to eat half his salary and take back a bad contract (and the low real $$$ spent) I can see him having good value.

This. He was actually good last season. Definitely still can be top pair guy from what I saw, just can’t be the #1D anchor. Some Devils fans and just general other fans of other teams just love to hate on him bc of who he is.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
At 9 mil a year less responsibility that works for me.................18 Mil tied up in a slow footed Dman and I really believe a overrated Dman.............good luck New Jersey......

We have the best skater in the past years draft in Luke Hughes coming with a handful of others noted for their skating ability so not concerned at all about alleged slow footed D.
Thanks for the well wishes but I don’t think we need the luck. We have a very solid D core and I’m sure we will be more than fine with what we have coming in the future .

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
What else does else does Tampa have to trade for him? Someone asked for a price. I’m not making any argument for the trade, I’m not interested in shilling for a potential TDL deal in September.

Savard wasn’t exactly in mint condition when Tampa traded for him and was having his worst season in years.

Subban’s salary might make the trade difficult for Tampa unless player(s) are on the LTIR and I assume a 3rd team would have to retain salary/cap space. The 9m cap hit makes it tough but he only has a 2m salary this year so the 3rd team retaining wouldn’t be spending that much at the TDL.

There are other potential playoff teams with 2nds and deeper prospect pools so he doesn’t have get us a 1st but Tampa doesn’t have either of those. I don’t see Tampa trading Cal Foote and there isn’t anyone else kicking around who I could see that would have enough value other than Alnefelt but if he plays really well I feel like Tampa isn’t going to be enthusiastic about trading him either. Tampa’s 2020 class could look better next year, lots of prospect are question marks due to not playing much and I don’t want get too much into the weeds if there are guys you think I’m short changing. We basically desperately need RHD, so I tend to fixate on that.

Maybe BriseBois tries to hang on to your 2022 1st, it looks like a very strong draft (after… not that) and the overager finds should be a strong group which will help the depth too.

It’s tough because Tampa is obviously still very much in the “win now” phase, can’t fix issues through UFAs in the off-season due to their cap crunch but not drafting in the 1st year after year sucks.

Potential TDL trades also depend on how Subban plays. He was much improved last year despite the team being a trash fire due to a number of terrible circumstances and he had to play big minutes. (Savard averaged 19:38 on the CBJ last season while Subban averaged 22:38.) This is a critical contract year for him on a improved team that should have a comparatively good season (assuming we aren’t cursed or something) and he should have much more manageable minutes with the addition of Hamilton so I think he will look pretty damn good at the TDL if he stays healthy (knock on wood).

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
We have the best skater in the past years draft in Luke Hughes coming with a handful of others noted for their skating ability so not concerned at all about alleged slow footed D.
Thanks for the well wishes but I don’t think we need the luck. We have a very solid D core and I’m sure we will be more than fine with what we have coming in the future .
Man you Devils fans are very touchy when someone say anything negative about your team. I was not trying to get you all pissed off . What I, trying to say Subban can still be a useful player for many teams but when you have him and Hamilton tying up nearly 19 % of your cap I think you have a problem. you have some talented players and I understand your excitement about Luke Hughes , but they are going to need some help . You also don't have the biggest team in the league and if you are to make the playoffs this team is not built for it..........

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Man you Devils fans are very touchy when someone say anything negative about your team. I was not trying to get you all pissed off . What I, trying to say Subban can still be a useful player for many teams but when you have him and Hamilton tying up nearly 19 % of your cap I think you have a problem. you have some talented players and I understand your excitement about Luke Hughes , but they are going to need some help . You also don't have the biggest team in the league and if you are to make the playoffs this team is not built for it..........
How is having them both at 9 million a problem when Subban comes off the books at the end of this season? Its not like we are signing anyone else this season so we have no problem playing Subban all year. You act like we have him signed long term. The only dman with a long term is Hamilton. Him & Nico are the only 2 on the team in general with long term contracts. So we play Subban & flip him this trade deadline. It has no effect on us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad