Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He’s projected to go later but some of the devils draft people on this board love him
I honestly have no idea about him or hardly any of the upcoming draft class outside of Celebrini.

I hadn't even heard of him until he was mentioned last night, I have no opinion about him either way. I don't know enough about him to have one.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Meh

Decent passer, not a puck hog, but like any shooter, you don't have to ask him twice to let it fly.

Very much

No

Tries, but it's more like the corners work him

Ehhh...

He can snipe.

Iowa was really bad last year. Lot's of injuries, new coach, very young D, Rossi was gone.

Beckman and Clarke sound similar. Beckman has been playing two ways because it has been made clear to him that he had to, but he was a sniper in junior.

Yeah, about the same. If Beckman could pack on some muscle to his lean, long frame I think he could be a NHL'er. Right now he simply can't compete in board battles...he tried to fight a couple of times in pre season, and it was ugly.
Thank you so much. Your assessment is very helpful. It puts a downer on any NJ fan thinking he will fit into their bottom 6. This was very much a 1 for 1 with AHL scoring forwards. Beckman sounds very similar, but more likely to grow now that he has seen in order to get to the NHL there are things he must learn to do. Hopefully this has brought reality to both of them. Looking forward to see if Adam has got the message.

Her will receive a warm welcome in Utica. The fan base here is very supportive and the community is welcoming to all newcomers, hockey players included. Have never heard any player put the city and its attitude towards them in a negative light.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Thank you so much. Your assessment is very helpful. It puts a downer on any NJ fan thinking he will fit into their bottom 6. This was very much a 1 for 1 with AHL scoring forwards. Beckman sounds very similar, but more likely to grow now that he has seen in order to get to the NHL there are things he must learn to do. Hopefully this has brought reality to both of them. Looking forward to see if Adam has got the message.

Her will receive a warm welcome in Utica. The fan base here is very supportive and the community is welcoming to all newcomers, hockey players included. Have never heard any player put the city and its attitude towards them in a negative light.
He might be just one of those guys that can't put on weight. Sammy Walker, another AHL'er, is more talented than Beckman, but simply can't seem to put on the lbs. and strength necessary to be even mediocre in puck battles. Ryan Donato is another fringe NHL'er that comes to mind. Great shot, but weak, with average skating and worse two way play.

You guys have skill, IMO, but need grit and a bit of nasty. That's not Beckman, and sounds like it wasn't Clarke.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I have very warm and fuzzy memories of Henrique and I always will. But it's like people only remember 2012 and forget about what happened in the 5 years after that run.

He had worn out his welcome and had made himself expendable. Still hurt emotionally to see him go, but most on this board were fine moving him in a hockey trade.

If he really wants to come full circle and end his career in NJ and is willing to take a 2 year deal for pretty cheap, I'm fine with it. But I wouldn't really go out looking for him. Once you remove the nostalgia he's just a depth piece. Erik Haula is a better player.

If I recall, and I could be wrong, but wasn't one of the issues people had with Henrique was his disappearing act at times?

Reactions: tailfins

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Thank you. JimEIV, that is not going to happen. I am just getting worse as I wait to die. I am OK with it. I got to see Fitz hire some goalie and fire Ruff and Travis Green. I believe we are moving forward in a positive direction. Go Devils
You have always been a great poster here and your outlook is quite inspiring. You are amazing. Thanks for coming here and sharing.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Let’s say 10OA is too much for Mcgroarty. Who on Winnipeg would be a nice piece to balance a trade? I’m just not seeing a player available in the draft that fits a need quite like Rutger.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Let’s say 10OA is too much for Mcgroarty, who on Winnipeg would be a nice piece to balance a trade? I’m just not seeing a player available in the draft that fits a need quite like Rutger.

I just don't think that 10OA is too much for him. He was 14OA a couple of years ago, he has a full slate of an ELC left and we have two years more to see how the development panned out and it has been gone nicely at Michigan. I don't think it would be crazy for him to be able to jump in and play a solid middle 6 wing role for the devils. A jump from 14 to 10 is a minor increase since his draft which I don't think is an out of line value increase given how his career at Michigan has played out. I'd be just fine giving that pick up for him.

The problem for Winnipeg is that I still think Philadelphia got hosed on the return value for Gauthier. Drysdale was kind of soiled goods with a lot of the shine worn off. A second round pick is kind of whatever. For a guy 18 months removed from being a top 5 pick in the draft with absolutely no concerns regarding his progression during that time, I still just think that was a bad return. So I'm curious if the league freezes out Chevy that way and he has to take a cut on the value of Rutger. I dunno though.

Maybe if there is value to balance out there, they can throw us Montreal's second.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Thank you. JimEIV, that is not going to happen. I am just getting worse as I wait to die. I am OK with it. I got to see Fitz hire some goalie and fire Ruff and Travis Green. I believe we are moving forward in a positive direction. Go Devils
Sorry to hear that, cheers and hope your last months/years are enjoyable

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I just don't think that 10OA is too much for him. He was 14OA a couple of years ago, he has a full slate of an ELC left and we have two years more to see how the development panned out and it has been gone nicely at Michigan. I don't think it would be crazy for him to be able to jump in and play a solid middle 6 wing role for the devils. A jump from 14 to 10 is a minor increase to since his draft which I don't think is crazy based on what he has shown in those 2 years. I'd be just fine giving that pick up for him.

The problem for Winnipeg is that I still think Philadelphia got hosed on the return value for Gauthier. Drysdale was kind of soiled goods with a lot of the shine worn off. A second round pick is kind of whatever. For a guy 18 months removed from being a top 5 pick in the draft with absolutely no concerns regarding his progression during that time, I still just think that was a bad return. So I'm curious if the league freezes out Chevy that way and he has to take a cut on the value of Rutger. I dunno though.

Maybe if there is value to balance out there, they can throw us Montreal's second.
If he wants a guaranteed spot in the NHL, not sure we are a fit so I doubt we'd be the trade partner. There would be competition for him here.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I hope you find comfort and peace through it all. And long enough for a cup win!

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
If he wants a guaranteed spot in the NHL, not sure we are a fit so I doubt we'd be the trade partner. There would be competition for him here.
We definitely could have a wide open spot in the top 9 for him if we wanted to go that way.

Timo - Nico - Bratt
??? - Jack - Mercer
Palat - Haula - Holtz
Foote (if he's back) - Lazar - Bastian

You could also just pluck Foote out of there and use him as a 13th F (or just let him go Boqvist style) and that gives you a top 9 spot with a fall back in a bottom 6 if he were to struggle

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
You would trade Mercer for Mcgroarty?!!

Yes I would. Kid's a stud.

It’s as though you had the spiel memorized and didn’t even read the post you were responding to. Who said we didn’t need to add some stuff? None of those things are even remotely close to the big pieces we have in place.

I responded to this
A stinky year when you’re healthy signals major changes are needed. A stinky year when you’re decimated by injury? Not so much.
In my defense, I don't see who you responded to so yea. All those needs I mentioned would be considered by some as big changes no?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I don't think there's much competition for him. The Devils would obviously be trading Holtz somewhere in this scenario. There's no prospects he's competing with. Even if he didn't make the team in October, he'd play plenty of games.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Let’s say 10OA is too much for Mcgroarty. Who on Winnipeg would be a nice piece to balance a trade? I’m just not seeing a player available in the draft that fits a need quite like Rutger.

I don't think it's too much from our side tbh. Winnipeg doesn't do that trade though. They don't want picks I don't think? Or as a main piece anyways

No there wouldn't lol. We have a spot right there for him, assuming he doesn't suck.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I don’t see a problem for Nashville to play both, limit Askarovs time and load of both goalies and control his price on bridge deals. And even if they will trade him, it does mean they will sign Saros, so I believe they will try to find NHL ready player or NHL player - their window is now, Saros, Josi and Forsberg are in their prime, they can’t wait for two three more years if they will trade NHL ready prime asset Askarov.
Saros is most likely going to be signed for 7 or 8 years. I think there too much overlap for them to not at least THINK about moving Askarov. I mean, slim chance they do, but I don't think it's 0 chance.

Reactions: Guadana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad