Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Right, Im torn is we get Marino from a year ago you keep him. We get Marino from last year you move him. It might be more about pairings they anything else. As you mentioned the Luke and Marino pairing didnt really work. I would say Pesce is more defensive then Marino and can probably cover better while Luke turns info a forward. I also think Marino would have more value on the trade market, which brings me to the next quote.

I think the goal to move Colton would be to clear cap space. Colton makes 4 and Marino makes 4.4. I dont want to retain any of Marino's deal so while it might make sense in a vacuum Im not sure it make sense for what the Avs are trying to do.

Avs could be looking to push Manson down the lineup. They need RHDs (Sean Walker is UFA). I think Marino is an upgrade on Walker.

Reactions: woody footbreaker

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Yeah busts happen, there's also examples of players being traded and being busts in their new destinations, does that mean we should bring up every failed veteran trade like Dubois, Huberdeau, Erik Karlsson, etc.. to downplay the value of trading for veteran talent?

You said:

So your opinion is they should trade 10th overall away and you don't have any opinion on who they get back as long as they marginally improve the current roster. This is just extremely short sighted thinking, imagine where the Oilers would be right now if they decided in 2018 they were in win now mode and traded the 10th overall pick (Evan Bouchard) for an immediate upgrade, the same Evan Bouchard that 6 years later is 2nd in playoff scoring (32P in 24G) and leads the team in TOI by a full 2 mins.

If only we could be so well run and future-thinking as the Edmonton Oilers.

We are one year removed from setting franchise records and dismantling our hated rivals in the playoffs. I think we are damn close with this core and don't give a flying f*** about what an 18 year old in 2024 could end up being. f*** me, Nico Hischier will be nearly 30 by the time they are hitting their prime.

For every Evan Bouchard and Mikko Rantanen, there is an opposite huge bust who never becomes anything. We have these level of players, they are currently playing and signed to long contracts (or lots of team control) right now. I'm talking about adding supplementary talent that can move the needle... now.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Teams aren't allowed to negotiate before July 1 anymore but Friedman's 32 thoughts the night before free agency will have a list of teams and likely destinations and he will be right on about 50% of those.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I think that is his hope as well. Markstrom becomes your 1b for a year. If we are looking at a Saros/Markstrom tandem in 2025-2026 - then it was a very good long game by Fitz.

And frankly, that is kind of what needs to happen. Unless Markstrom ends up still being good and you can sign him to 1-year deals after (which seems unlikely)
This is how I saw it. It was really bad to waste 10OA for goalies you can sign as free agent for the same price(or even lesser price) from the market. Ullmark, Saros and Shestyorkin will be available, so it’s smart to save prime asset and try to watch what you have in Daws/Schmid. May be they will turn the corner next season. May be we will sign big free agent next summer and develop one of Daws/Schmid into the backup.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The Oilers have had some amazing prospect pools, I'll give them that.
They literally picked top 10 for something like 15 out of the last 30 years...that's not even mentioning the slew of #1OA's

Back to Arnott at #7 overall in 1993 is how long Edmonton has been trying to right the ship.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
They literally picked top 10 for something like 15 out of the last 30 years...that's not even mentioning the slew of #1OA's

Back to Arnott at #7 overall in 1993 is how long Edmonton has been trying to right the ship.

They picked the generational talent in 2015. McDavid is a phenom. He could possibly go down as a top 5 player EVER to play the game....

... and up until one week ago, the Oilers were a laughing stock of the league. A tale of ineptitude. Wasting the career of the best player since Gretzky.

But thank f*** they drafted Evan Bouchard SIX f***ing years ago.

In 6 years, Jack will be 28 years old. Around the same age as McDavid now. I f***ing hope we aren't still waiting like the Oilers fans have been, drafting players in the top 10, hoping that "This guy will be the player who can lead us to the promised land, this 18 year old". f*** that.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm not sure why everyone underestimates how different the lineup was this year from 2023.

Half of 2023 Bahl wasn't a starter...this year he was going to be relied upon to provide critical minutes. Last year Luke was in college and Nemec was finishing his 1st North American season at 18 years old...

Severson gone
Graves gone
Tatar gone
Wood gone
Sharangovich gone
Zetterlund gone
Boqvist gone
Blackwood gone
McLeod gone

Add
Luke
Nemec
Miller
Hatakka
DeSimone
Meier
Lazar
Toffoli
Tierney
Nosek
Willman
MacDermid
Allen
Kahkonen

I know you can make the argument that a lot of these players are inconsequential...but the overall quality of depth was significantly better in 2023...I think that lack of depth was reason that we didn't bridge the gap of injuries as well as we should have...

We were deeper, faster, bigger stronger and more experienced with the depth group from 2023 and they were obviously missed

now do games played in 2022-23 vs games played in 2023-24

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
This is how I saw it. It was really bad to waste 10OA for goalies you can sign as free agent for the same price(or even lesser price) from the market. Ullmark, Saros and Shestyorkin will be available, so it’s smart to save prime asset and try to watch what you have in Daws/Schmid. May be they will turn the corner next season. May be we will sign big free agent next summer and develop one of Daws/Schmid into the backup.
I'd STILL consider moving 10 for Askarov. He's waiver exempt for a couple more years and would fit in our timeframe. It would alleviate our goalie concerns for the foreseeable future.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
They picked the generational talent in 2015. McDavid is a phenom. He could possibly go down as a top 5 player EVER to play the game....

... and up until one week ago, the Oilers were a laughing stock of the league. A tale of ineptitude. Wasting the career of the best player since Gretzky.

But thank f*** they drafted Evan Bouchard SIX f***ing years ago.

In 6 years, Jack will be 28 years old. Around the same age as McDavid now. I f***ing hope we aren't still waiting like the Oilers fans have been, drafting players in the top 10, hoping that "This guy will be the player who can lead us to the promised land, this 18 year old". f*** that.
I don't have a like button but I like this post.

I think we are pretty close. I think we can be good this year...I do honestly think though that we are a couple of years away from really being a threat. When Luke is our true #1 we'll be ready.

Reactions: tailfins

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
There's an outside chance Nashville might of they re-sign Soros.
I don’t see a problem for Nashville to play both, limit Askarovs time and load of both goalies and control his price on bridge deals. And even if they will trade him, it does mean they will sign Saros, so I believe they will try to find NHL ready player or NHL player - their window is now, Saros, Josi and Forsberg are in their prime, they can’t wait for two three more years if they will trade NHL ready prime asset Askarov.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Michael Brandsegg-Nygard

I guess he's projected to be drafted around 10th.
He’s projected to go later but some of the devils draft people on this board love him

I hate that this McGroarty news came out because I'm going to be so disappointed when we inevitably don't land him.
It’s highly unlikely we get him. Winnipeg isn’t gonna be looking for our 10th this year or a Seamus Casey or 2nd round pick unless it’s last resort in my opinion.

Most of the offers people are suggesting here probably get laughed at.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Talk of Marino being gone if Pesce is signed but maybe Hamilton still needs to be LTIR'd or maybe they want Nemec to spend more time marinating in the AHL.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Talk of Marino being gone if Pesce is signed but maybe Hamilton still needs to be LTIR'd or maybe they want Nemec to spend more time marinating in the AHL.
It’s baseless talk because no one has actually said the Devils want Pesce. Just speculation and I personally doubt they do.

If Tom Fitzgerald put Simon Nemec in the minors I would egg his house
I agree but think it’s more likely than Marino getting dealt. But also as I said to the Pesce thing is pure speculation and unlikely in my opinion.

Reactions: Camille the Eel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad