Confirmed Trade: [SJS/BUF] 2024 1st (11OA) for 2024 1st (14OA) and 2024 2nd (42OA)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Did we not still add Celebrini and Dickinson on day 1?

Is there any team that added two or more better prospects?
We don't say San Jose won day 1 because of Celebrini otherwise everyone who gets a consensus #1 overall wins day 1. They didn't make a difficult decision and they had their choice of every single player in the draft

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Did you even read it?

"It’s hard to give a team too much credit for taking the clear-cut No. 1 overall pick in a class"

He then says the Dickinson pick makes them a winner
When did I ever say just Celebrini made them a winner?

Getting a sure fire 1C and a blue chip 1D potential in the same first round is winning. No other team added as much, therefore, they won the 1st.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
There was little chance of Buffalo taking a defenseman...but maybe Philadelphia. The moment the Sharks drafted Dickinson they were on the phones... highly conceivable that both defensemen are gone by 14.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
When did I ever say just Celebrini made them a winner?

Getting a sure fire 1C and a blue chip 1D potential in the same first round is winning. No other team added as much, therefore, they won the 1st.
You replied with an article that has the Habs and Wild listed above them. So if you wanna use that article as an authority, I would say Montreal or Minnesota won day 1

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
There was little chance of Buffalo taking a defenseman...but maybe Philadelphia. The moment the Sharks drafted Dickinson they were on the phones... highly conceivable that both defensemen are gone by 14.
Philly said they passed on Buium because they already have undersized D in the pipeline. Wouldn't be surprised for them to have taken Dickenson there if Buffalo passed and Minnesota clearly wanted Buium. Unless Philly passed on Dickenson, Sharks wouldnt have gotten either at 14. Good trade IMO when we got 53 for free from Detroit

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
With Briere's comment on why they didn't draft Zeev, I think this trade worked out exactly how Grier wanted it to. Briere saying that Zeev matched too much of what they already had makes me think they would have grabbed Dickinson if he was on the board.

So if we were to speculate that Buffalo takes Helenius at 11, Philly takes Dickinson at 12, and Minnesota takes Buium at 13, Sharks would have barely missed on that top tier of defensive prospects. A lot of us were probably okay reaching for Solberg at 14 or going with one of the higher tier forwards left but this was a great move to get a potential top pairing defenseman.

Looking at the board now, the alternative if they kept the 14th would've been something like MBN and Kleber/Hutson at 42. That's good but it doesn't fill the huge defensive hole we had as well as Dickinson does even if we go further and say the Sharks went with a defenseman like Badinka at 33 instead of Chernyshov.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
With Briere's comment on why they didn't draft Zeev, I think this trade worked out exactly how Grier wanted it to. Briere saying that Zeev matched too much of what they already had makes me think they would have grabbed Dickinson if he was on the board.

So if we were to speculate that Buffalo takes Helenius at 11, Philly takes Dickinson at 12, and Minnesota takes Buium at 13, Sharks would have barely missed on that top tier of defensive prospects. A lot of us were probably okay reaching for Solberg at 14 or going with one of the higher tier forwards left but this was a great move to get a potential top pairing defenseman.

Looking at the board now, the alternative if they kept the 14th would've been something like MBN and Kleber/Hutson at 42. That's good but it doesn't fill the huge defensive hole we had as well as Dickinson does even if we go further and say the Sharks went with a defenseman like Badinka at 33 instead of Chernyshov.

Great post - think this analysis is spot on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad