Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I still think Holtz could become something. Could he be a first line forward as most thought he would? No, I don't think so, but he still scored 16 goals with limited ice-time/opportunity this season. I could see him becoming a useful middle-6 guy.

I just think his awareness without the puck, compete and board play need to improve a lot. It's possible, and hopefully Keefe can bring that into him. He's still only 22 years old and next year will only be his 2nd full season in the league.
Without any judgement on Holtz's potential.... he's got a tough road ahead of him here in NJ.

If you look at the top 6 and you have Bratt and Meier as potential RW's then you have Mercer as a potential Right Wing and he's already been squeezed out of the top 6.... it's really hard to see a spot for Holtz on this team?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Wild fan here who has watched a lot of Beckman down in Iowa. He got Wild fans excited when he lead the WHL in scoring in his D+1 year, mainly on the strength of his shot. Think of him as a poor man's Holtz.

- He is not a Center
- He tries on defense, but is offensively inclined. You want him on your PP, not PK.
- Long enough (at least 6'1"), but not strong, at least not yet.
- Average(not bad) skater. Fast enough to maintain distance on a breakaway against an average defender, not fast enough to pull away.
- Best asset is his shot.
- Is well liked.
- works hard.
- mediocre hockey IQ?
- Is one of those guys who has probably plateau'ed as an AHL'er, but there is the possibility that he is a late bloomer. His main weakness is lack of strength. You would think he can overcome that with a good summer of training/eating, but he hasn't yet.
Thank you. I had him pegged as an AHL player and kinda thought the Devils traded a Clarke for another one. The "works hard" is more than Clarke ever did.

My concerns:
Are his puck skills good? Stickhandling. One on one.

Passing accuracy or due to his desire to shoot so much is a puck hog? Puck hogs who easily get stripped of the puck aren't good for their line mates.

Is he a team player? Well liked by his mates?

Is he successful in board battles?

Does he work the corners?

Does he go to the net without the puck. Not just a perimeter forward.

*Of his 190 shots what's a guess as to how many are on net or is that the number of SOG. Are his missed shots not in this number? I guess what I really want to know is his shooting accuracy. That was not clear in any of his assessments I've found. A guy known for his shot that takes 190 of them and only scores 19 goals raises a question mark.

Clarke was our leading goal scorer, 25 in each of the last 2 seasons. Beckman was the Wild's #1 with a total of 19. Was the rest of the team that poor at finding the net or were they simply a team with no play makers. The Comets do get the puck to the shooters, but their main problem was they couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a scoop shovel. Most common shot is high and wide or directly into the keeper's crest.

Hope you can help me out here. I'm hoping he is a better player than Clarke. Most of what I asked reflects what Clarke was, a perimeter player who was inept in his own zone, was a poor puck handler when pressed, forced shots when passes were the better option, poor forechecker, lost most every puck battle, not physical and knocked down a lot, could score goals with a good shot as long as he had time to set up the puck and had no bodies in his way. Puck skills so weak, shootouts were a spot he didn't belong. This is not a good description one would expect of a team's top goal producer. He took a team high 202 shots and scored 25 goals. I know he missed the net an exorbitant number of times.

I'm hoping Beckman is a hockey player, not just a guy who can contribute a few goals.

*I have found a discrepancy, not that it matters, but AHL.com has listed Beckman's '23-24 shots at 150. That's 40 short of the 190 I've seen on this site. According to AHL.com Sammy Walker led the Wild in shots with 176.

A little more research shows that Beckman led the Wild in shots at 190 in '22-23 and that's the year they used to pump up his image a little after the trade, but he did score 24 goals that season. So, basically Clarke level goal scoring on a commensurate number of shots. This leads me to believe Beckman will replace Clarke's goals. As far as goal scoring, it just might be an equal swap. More a case of 2 teams giving up on their AHL goal scorers and swapping them to another franchise to give them a chance to improve under someone else's watch.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
At least Fitz might be starting to hold other players (re: non goalies and Holtz) accountable for last season's disgrace as well.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
The question is what impact player can the Devils get for 10th overall?

I have no idea, it's hypothetical.

My point is that with an established core of players that the Devils have, I would be looking to add guys that contribute right now.

An 18 year old 10 overall, while no doubt very talented, is going to be years away from helping this team.

Per my sources the Pesce signing is “very likely”

believe-weatherman.gif

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I have no idea, it's hypothetical.

My point is that with an established core of players that the Devils have, I would be looking to add guys that contribute right now.

An 18 year old 10 overall, while no doubt very talented, is going to be years away from helping this team.
I think before you take that approach that established core needs to show a little more.

They took a major step in 2023 but took an equally as big step back last year. Yes injuries played an enormous role but you can't break the piggy bank open for an established core that is either A. Not ready to take two steps forward or B. Just might not be good enough.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Are teams allowed to talk to UFAs this early? I know they changed the rule on that recently, but doesn’t this rumor about Pesce feel like tampering when the Cup hasn’t even been awarded?

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I think before you take that approach that established core needs to show a little more.

They took a major step in 2023 but took an equally as big step back last year. Yes injuries played an enormous role but you can't break the piggy bank open for an established core that is either A. Not ready to take two steps forward or B. Just might not be good enough.

That's fine. I get it. I guess whoever is drafted this year can fill a hole if someone from the core group leaves in a few years?

I'd like to see Fitz go all in while Nico is "cheap", Luke and Nemec are "cheap" and Dougie is still "young". Otherwise, what's the point in assembling this current group?

3 years left on Nico's contract. Clocks ticking.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Are teams allowed to talk to UFAs this early? I know they changed the rule on that recently, but doesn’t this rumor about Pesce feel like tampering when the Cup hasn’t even been awarded?
Technically, no, they can't speak to him without permission.

But we always hear these rumors beforehand. Usually they involve Toronto lol (Who has also been tied to Pesce already, I believe)

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Pesce makes no sense for us. Our right side is full and I think Marino bounces back with a better season.
Yeah, I think a Pesce signing would be an odd move. Maybe if he brought something different to the table I'd be more on board with it, but this would feel like making a move just because he is bigger. He doesn't throw his body around, he's certainly now what I'd classify as "violent". He's not an offensive driver.

Basically replacing Marino with an older, pricier guy that doesn't do enough to make me think it's worth it.

Marino's deal is going to look even better after this free agency period when some of these guys are getting 7+

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
I realise this, but hopefully the first next year will be a late first. What chances does that player ever have of contributing??? Whereas Markstrom makes us a significantly better team now and for the next two years....

It's not like we can't pick players in rounds 2-7 either....

I'll stand by the fact that, if offered, I'd trade the 10th overall this year to get an impact player for now.
I'm fine with the Markstrom trade, There's top 10 pick protection, Calgary's eating a decent chunk of the contract and the goalie market is terrible.

As for trading 10th overall it depends on the player. Your original comment of trading the 10th overall if your offered an upgrade with a top 4 LHD without any other context is insane. The only LHD that are worth 10th overall are under 25 solidified top 4 with term, and there aren't many of those guys out there on the market.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Per my sources the Pesce signing is “very likely”

Yikes! That has to mean more change is coming.
They aren’t even aloud to talk to UFA’s yet though. Unless they’ve been given permission.

Jeez please tell this isn’t where the whole Pesce interest talk is coming from. This isn’t even him saying the devils are interested or he’s heard anything.

Just him thinking they might be. Pure speculation and unlikely in my opinion.

Not worth talking about, move on,

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I think losing Bahl sucks.

I don’t know if they keep Vulojevic, he might not get qualified and just wander off somewhere.
I agree with you on Vukojevic. He has often been a healthy scratch during the whole of his time in Utica. His ice time has actually been linked to others being hurt or recalled. I mean he sat out while the likes of Colin Felix, Jackson van de Leest, Austin Osmanski, got significant ice time and Will MacKinnon became a regular with 40 games played compared to Vuk's 49. He still makes so many errors that keep him scratched when there are others who can replace him. He should have corrected these problems in the ample time he has had during his 4 seasons in the AHL.

Unless New Jersey provides the Comets with some new competent D-men, he may end up with a contract just because.

IMO he's very much on the path towards the end of a career opposed to establishing himself as a regular AHL D-man with some promise of moving up like Vilen and Misyul who have sped past him in just one season. No way he can play the position like Casey who is already past him without having seen the Utica ice sheet.

I would say it's 50-50 if we see him traded, qualified, or simply allowed to walk.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Interesting and I think what you are saying makes sense. I wonder if he is going to revamp the D?

Would seem a bit risky. I mean Marino has been our most reliable Defenseman defensively and he is our #1 PKer...but I also think that the Luke - Marino pairing didn't really work well for whatever reason. That might be a reason to make a change?

Right, Im torn is we get Marino from a year ago you keep him. We get Marino from last year you move him. It might be more about pairings they anything else. As you mentioned the Luke and Marino pairing didnt really work. I would say Pesce is more defensive then Marino and can probably cover better while Luke turns info a forward. I also think Marino would have more value on the trade market, which brings me to the next quote.

Colton for Marino works well

I think the goal to move Colton would be to clear cap space. Colton makes 4 and Marino makes 4.4. I dont want to retain any of Marino's deal so while it might make sense in a vacuum Im not sure it make sense for what the Avs are trying to do.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I'm fine with the Markstrom trade, There's top 10 pick protection, Calgary's eating a decent chunk of the contract and the goalie market is terrible.

As for trading 10th overall it depends on the player. Your original comment of trading the 10th overall if your offered an upgrade with a top 4 LHD without any other context is insane. The only LHD that are worth 10th overall are under 25 solidified top 4 with term, and there aren't many of those guys out there on the market.

I think you're overvaluing this pick... Go look at the last 10, 10th overall picks. Not a brilliant list.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
They aren’t even aloud to talk to UFA’s yet though. Unless they’ve been given permission.

Jeez please tell this isn’t where the whole Pesce interest talk is coming from. This isn’t even him saying the devils are interested or he’s heard anything.

Just him thinking they might be. Pure speculation and unlikely in my opinion.

Not worth talking about, move on,

Isnt every possible free agent worth talking about because they are technically available until they sign?

Id rather speculate about Brett Pesce and the changes that can be made to the roster then rehash the Markstrom trade or talk about Erika or discuss some past Devils random player.

It could simply mean they are hearing the Devils are interested in the player because he fits something they like. As do a bunch of other guys I am sure.

Did Pesce and Dougie overlap at all with the Canes? Had they ever been paired together?

Reactions: Forge

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Isnt every possible free agent worth talking about because they are technically available until they sign?

Id rather speculate about Brett Pesce and the changes that can be made to the roster then rehash the Markstrom trade or talk about Erika or discuss some past Devils random player.

It could simply mean they are hearing the Devils are interested in the player because he fits something they like. As do a bunch of other guys I am sure.

Did Pesce and Dougie overlap at all with the Canes? Had they ever been paired together?
They’re both righties so not likely but possible. If they were hearing that they would say so. What he said is pure speculation. All I’m saying is that people took a lot from that original post when it doesn’t sound like it means nearly as much.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
If Winnipeg would do this deal (I don't think they would), it's a no brainer for this team. McGroarty is everything this team needs and more. Complete player.
I agree he is a perfect fit but first of all their window is now, they need players not picks, and Buium and Dickinson still more valuable.

Winnipeg won’t do that I don’t think
I don't think too. Even if they would, they should prefer more nhl ready player. Or nhl player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad