Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
NJDevs26
Don't worry seriously, you can not know or forget something at 35.

even taking into account the retention, this is still an expensive trade for the team. especially in a compartment with Allen’s trade. We lost 1st and mostly 2nd picks for two old goalies for 1 and two years. It’s a gamble, but we need goalies, but it will hunt us.
It will hurt us if Daws and Schmidt don't improve to be able to take over at the end of 25-26. Allen and Markstrom will need new contracts if any team (NJ) wants one or two 35 yrs old goalies at $4 to 10 M total per year. It is what it is. I just hope that we get two good seasons from Allen and Markstrom regardless of the cost. We are wasting good offensive and some defensive talent without goaltending and defense and not making the playoffs.

I have faith in Fitz to get the right mix, he knows it is his job.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Is this serious? Lou traded Arnott for two players who were major contributors to yet another Stanley cup. Henrique was traded for a mid defender, on a team that was in a wildcard spot almost certainly for no other reason than they had one player having a non-replicable monster mvp level season. What did that trade get us? Ultimately nothing concrete in the long run.

Yes, it is serious.

We've got Nico Daws at the end of that trade tree. Is he any good? I don't know. Maybe. Certainly better than a 34 year old Henrique.

And you know darned well he was put on waivers in 21 not because he wasn’t performing. He’s been a consistent 0.5 ppg performer his entire career including that season. He’s contributed a similar point rate for Edmonton this playoffs. What the heck are you talking about?

What? Why else did they put him on waivers, because they like submitting forms to the league? Henrique was put on waivers because he had 3 years left on his long-term deal and he had 3 goals and 1 assist in his first 16 games. Anaheim was hoping that maybe somebody would bite and nobody did.

He would have survived the rebuild…only if by choice of the GM. Travis Zajac - a guy who put up similar numbers but was just better defensively - survived quite a few leans years before being traded at age 35. One year older than current Henrique.

Zajac survived because he had no trade value, he was on an albatross long-term contract. Henrique's contract was up at the end of 2019, when the Devils dealt Boyle and Lovejoy and Johansson and everyone else who was a UFA that year. They also ended up dealing Vatanen the next year.

You want to make the argument that we shouldn’t target him to return now, fine. I don’t know if I fully agree but you can make that argument. But the rest of that was BS.

It wasn't BS. It's fine to be upset as a fan that they didn't keep Henrique. To argue that it could be some sort of rational decision to keep a middling player through his UFA years on a team that underwent an entire overhaul - the only players left from when Henrique was last on the squad were rookies - makes no sense at all.

Jondre91

Jul 1, 2017
What is the feeling do the Devils need a RD or LD. and if its a LD. how much do you think Zadorov will command.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
What is the feeling do the Devils need a RD or LD. and if its a LD. how much do you think Zadorov will command.
The devils only need a LD for their lineup but could also use some RD depth behind Hamilton, Marino, and Nemec.

Don’t know the number but Zadorov will command too much

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
A 10th overall for Mcgroarty would be interesting for us in that it would give us a solid NHL ready prospect who could contribute right away at ELC money.

But I don’t think that’s what Winnipeg would be looking for.

I’m also not a fan of the big college prospects forcing their way out. Think it goes against the spirit of the draft and is kind of shitty of them unless they have a good reason to. I’m honestly not sure why college players are aloud to just not sign and become free agents while others in other leagues can’t so easily.

Reactions: Alex NJD

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The devils only need a LD for their lineup but could also use some RD depth behind Hamilton, Marino, and Nemec.

Don’t know the number but Zadorov will command too much
Zadorov is supposedly looking for 6M....I think he's nuts personally. I read that he had turned down 4.5 from Vancouver.... Nobody should pay this guy over $5M

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Zadorov is supposedly looking for 6M....I think he's nuts personally. I read that he had turned down 4.5 from Vancouver.... Nobody should pay this guy over $5M
Agreed which is why we should go for Dillon instead on shorter term.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I'm thinking about it. Its not im fully against. I would stay before our pick and would make decision in the moment. Buium and Dickinson would be better but we don't know will they or will they not be available.
Winnipeg won’t do that I don’t think

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
A 10th overall for Mcgroarty would be interesting for us in that it would give us a solid NHL ready prospect who could contribute right away at ELC money.

But I don’t think that’s what Winnipeg would be looking for.

I’m also not a fan of the big college prospects forcing their way out. Think it goes against the spirit of the draft and is kind of shitty of them unless they have a good reason to. I’m honestly not sure why college players are aloud to just not sign and become free agents while others in other leagues can’t so easily.
I wouldn't give a 10th overall for Mcgroarty. Strikes me as topping out as a bottom 6 player honestly.

Jondre91

Jul 1, 2017
I just think Zadorov ticks all the boxes not 30. big body blocks shots. plays the left. has the sandpaper Fitxz wants 5.5 I don't think is crazy for a perfect fit instead of 2.5-3.5 for a 2-3 year fix

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I just think Zadorov ticks all the boxes not 30. big body blocks shots. plays the left. has the sandpaper Fitxz wants 5.5 I don't think is crazy for a perfect fit instead of 2.5-3.5 for a 2-3 year fix
He’s an okay 3rd pair dman. Not even a great one. Don’t care what boxes he ticks if he’s gonna be making way more than he should. You don’t pay 3rd pair dmen 5.5M

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
I mean, he was traded for Vatanen who was a legit #1 DMan for us for a bit...helped get us to the playoffs in 2018.

We all love Henrique, but yeah. It wasn't some terrible trade.

I just will never understand why some are so worried about what MIGHT happen in 4-5 years

This team is ready NOW. Go win NOW. Worry about the rest later. You can't always be worried about half a decade
It’s not about being worried about now vs the future it’s just an understanding that good ELC talent is very valuable and shouldn’t be traded away for any veteran upgrade.

If we were talking about a package centered around 10th overall for a Brady Tkachuk, then of course you make the deal depending on the other pieces involved, but you don’t trade 10th overall for any top 4 LD upgrade.

Reactions: Guadana

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I have very warm and fuzzy memories of Henrique and I always will. But it's like people only remember 2012 and forget about what happened in the 5 years after that run.

He had worn out his welcome and had made himself expendable. Still hurt emotionally to see him go, but most on this board were fine moving him in a hockey trade.

If he really wants to come full circle and end his career in NJ and is willing to take a 2 year deal for pretty cheap, I'm fine with it. But I wouldn't really go out looking for him. Once you remove the nostalgia he's just a depth piece. Erik Haula is a better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad