Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
The hype for the draft is building up. 10th overall isn't nothing. We have a pretty good chance of snagging a very useful player that's not too far from the core's average age.
Oilers drafted Evan Bouchard at #10 7 years after taking RNH #1. We're taking our guy at #10 7 years after drafting Nico at #1. :sarcasm: (Think we are in a much better spot than Edmonton was in 2018)

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I always enjoy your outlook and positivity for the team as well as your kindness to other posters here. Thank you for sharing your insights and as @NjDevsRR said, much more is to come in the upcoming months! Your contributions are always appreciated and I know many others agree with me!
Thank you very much. Have a nice day.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why didn't Fitz just draft Askarov? Is he stupid?
People are talking as if drafting goalies is any more of a sure thing than drafting skaters and like Askarov is already some proven asset (granted, nobody develops goalies like Nashville so he'll probably hit), he's had three starts in the NHL and been okay in the AHL so far - granted he's still ridiculously young but our own guys we've drafted who've already seen a lot more of the NHL are still fairly young too.

Goalies are voodoo, he didn't want to draft one with a top seven pick for the same reason he doesn't want to go shopping at Neiman Marcus for mostly okay-ish 'proven' options, especially when at the time we had ****ing Blackwood at 23 who was coming off of two solid years to start his career on crap teams. Amazing yet not surprising how quickly that timeline is forgotten given how badly Blackwood's career turned right after that.

What would be the narrative here if Askarov was still in Utica with meh numbers on a bleh AHL team while Holtz was popping in 20+ goals elsewhere in an organization not looking at him to be Jere Lehtinen?

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I really like Seamus Casey however, Winnipeg has a large need for right handed defenceman and a Casey package might be enough to get Rutger without giving up the 10th overall pick.

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
I really like Seamus Casey however, Winnipeg has a large need for right handed defenceman and a Casey package might be enough to get Rutger without giving up the 10th overall pick.
I'd be up for that if possible. Casey is an interesting player, but at the end of the day he's very diminutive and has a lot of better players ahead of him.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Is this McGroarty talk based on anything?

I'd think a trade of high end prospects between two teams that expect to make the playoffs(I almost said good teams but then remembered we sucked this year) is pretty rare.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Is this McGroarty talk based on anything?

I'd think a trade of high end prospects between two teams that expect to make the playoffs(I almost said good teams but then remembered we sucked this year) is pretty rare.
I would say he is going to get traded and NJ has a glut of what Winnipeg is looking for (RHD). It makes them a good match for trading. Additionally NJ has an opening for him in the top 9 and he is everything they need in a prospect. All this said, it’s all speculation.

Zacha37

Dec 8, 2016
Can McGroarty walk back on his decision to go back to Michigan if he wants to play in the NHL next year?
Logan Cooley verbally committed to returning to Minnesota last season but switched up on that later in the offseason.

Reactions: Mgd31

Zacha37

Dec 8, 2016
Why are we talking about trading Marino?
Friedman mentioned in his 32 thoughts that NJ could be a team interested in Brett Pesce once he hits the market.

Marino + in a trade for Rutger is also an option.
With a worthy Marino replacement being signed I would be for it, but I assume Winnipeg might want a return similar to what Cutter Gauthier received, a younger NHL ready piece +.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Friedman mentioned in his 32 thoughts that NJ could be a team interested in Brett Pesce once he hits the market.

With a worthy Marino replacement being signed I would be for it, but I assume Winnipeg might want a return similar to what Cutter Gauthier received, a younger NHL ready piece +.
Id sooner look to moving Casey+ for McGroarty because our right side is just as clogged and Im not sure paying Pesce is wise when we will need to pay Luke and Simon

Plus, I know Casey is good, but Im not a fan of his size for a player whod be behind Dougie Luke and Simon for the PP

Though odds are we keep Casey

Zacha37

Dec 8, 2016
They could be but probably aren’t and I don’t think that means for a second that Marino is being shopped/traded
If we aren’t truly in on Pesce? No chance he gets moved. If we truly are interested though where would a spot for Marino be in the lineup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad