Prospect Info: The 2023-2024 Prospects Thread Pt. 3

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hutson went straight into 23 minutes/game for Montreal and straight onto their top-unit PP.

He's getting fast-tracked onto that team and will be playing big minutes for them barring a disaster at training camp.

It will be an absolute crime if Bedard wins the Calder over Faber.

See what the Habs do with him and the rest of their young blueline of Struble, Guhle, Harris, Barron, etc. Figure one or two have to get moved.

Reactions: Lindgren

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
See what the Habs do with him and the rest of their young blueline of Struble, Guhle, Harris, Barron, etc. Figure one or two have to get moved.

Reinbacher and Mailloux coming as well.

Absolutely, I'd think that they're going to be moving a guy or two (likely from the Harris/Barron/Struble group) for some forward or goaltending help. And I'd actually wonder about moving Silovs for one of those guys.

But they seem incredibly high on Hutson and I think they see him as their PP QB from opening day next year.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
over will smith, macklin celebrini and cutter gautier? matvei mitchkov is rumoured to be coming over also

Also forgetting about Stankoven who kept his eligibility by one game (24 regular season + a bonus 19 playoff games). Pavelski moving on, may not be able to keep Duchene, etc., so I see him moving into higher minutes and PP time.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007

Good luck to McDonough but he'll be 25 in November and doesn't seem close to being even a call-up option.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I've posted about it before, but Lekkerimaki joins some pretty select company as the MVP of the World Jr. Hockey Championships.

The list of previous winners contains the names of a number of franchise players. Although the jury's still out on Trevor Zegras and Mason McTavish of the Ducks; some of the other names include Connor Bedard; Alex Lafreniere, Casey Mittelstadt, Thomas Chabot and Filip Forsberg.

The only previous winners who kind of disappointed were Ryan Poehling and Jesse Puljujarvi....and injuries were definitely a factor in their NHL careers.

So the question with Lekkerimaki isn't whether he'll make it or not, but how soon he arrives. Might need only one season in the AHL before challenging for a job in Vancouver.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
He finished the year well so I’m mildly surprised by this.

Pretty much zero pro potential, though.
Kinda weird they don’t keep him around just for AHL depth, it’s not like he was going to block a bunch of new forward prospects from getting ice time in Abby. Lekkerimaki and maybe Bloom are the only ones I can think of offhand and Bloom is probably a fourth liner if he can make the AHL this time around.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I've posted about it before, but Lekkerimaki joins some pretty select company as the MVP of the World Jr. Hockey Championships.

The list of previous winners contains the names of a number of franchise players. Although the jury's still out on Trevor Zegras and Mason McTavish of the Ducks; some of the other names include Connor Bedard; Alex Lafreniere, Casey Mittelstadt, Thomas Chabot and Filip Forsberg.

The only previous winners who kind of disappointed were Ryan Poehling and Jesse Puljujarvi....and injuries were definitely a factor in their NHL careers.

So the question with Lekkerimaki isn't whether he'll make it or not, but how soon he arrives. Might need only one season in the AHL before challenging for a job in Vancouver.

I wouldn't even be averse to letting Lekkerimaki learn the pro game on the big club. He's got hockey IQ in spades, the issue is can he come to camp after a strong offseason and handle it physically.

The question is are the Canucks willing to tolerate the learning curve and where will he be on that curve come next April.

The short AHL stint IMO can't be drawn upon to make conclusions.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Kinda weird they don’t keep him around just for AHL depth, it’s not like he was going to block a bunch of new forward prospects from getting ice time in Abby. Lekkerimaki and maybe Bloom are the only ones I can think of offhand and Bloom is probably a fourth liner if he can make the AHL this time around.
At age 24 McDonough was a bottom-six AHL winger. Canucks thought he wasn't worth the contract slot and I agree with them.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks are serious about showcasing some of their Abbotsford prospects for potential jobs in the NHL come the fall training camp, then they're going to need replacements in the minors.

Apparently they figured that there are better options out there on the UFA market for Abbotsford than McDonough. Hard not to disagree. He's pushing 25, and at this point barely more than depth winger at the AHL-level.

Kind of ironic really. Both McDonough and Rathbone scored their first NHL goals playing for the Canucks. And spent time with the Abbotsford Canucks. And now both are UFA's.

All the ink that was spilled on these boards over the years for these two players as Canuck prospects. Just goes to show had poor their prospect pool was under Benning and Company; but positively, how far it has come under the Rutherford regime.

Reactions: Chiripa20

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
If the Canucks are serious about showcasing some of their Abbotsford prospects for potential jobs in the NHL come the fall training camp, then they're going to need replacements in the minors.

Apparently they figured that there are better options out there on the UFA market for Abbotsford than McDonough. Hard not to disagree. He's pushing 25, and at this point barely more than depth winger at the AHL-level.

Kind of ironic really. Both McDonough and Rathbone scored their first NHL goals playing for the Canucks. And spent time with the Abbotsford Canucks. And now both are UFA's.

All the ink that was spilled on these boards over the years for these two players as Canuck prospects. Just goes to show had poor their prospect pool was under Benning and Company; but positively, how far it has come under the Rutherford regime.

What is even remotely ironic about that?

Reactions: Josepho

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What is even remotely ironic about that?
At one time people were seriously pumped about McDonough and Rathbone as Canuck prospects when they were in college..

The 'irony' is that in 2024 even their AHL teams have decided they can move on from them.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Savage but pretty funny. It's like that Morrisette song where most if not all of the song isn't ironic...it's just coincidence or shitty luck.

Isn't it ironic? ... no it really isn't...get a dictionary...
'Ironic'--'happening in the opposite way to what was expected, and typically causing wry amusement because of this."

Lots of 'irony' with both McDonough and Rathbone. Both at one time during their college careers appeared to be solid Canuck prospects. Both guys get signed and score their first NHL goals with the parent Canucks. And as everyone knows, these two guys have been fast friends since their days of playing tyke hockey together.

And fast forward to June, 2024, when they both fail to get qualified by their NHL teams and hit the open market at the same time.

How much help do you need in figuring out what's 'ironic' about this?

Reactions: Lindgren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad