Prospect Info: The 2023-2024 Prospects Thread Pt. 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm sure the Canucks OHL scouts have been following Bloom for quite awhile. So when the Sabres ran into injuries on their blueline, the Canucks pounced. Buffalo parted with their former third round draft pick for Riley Stillman.

You can certainly see he has the size and the wheels to be a decent pro hockey player. His ceiling is a bit of a mystery. But considering how little the Canucks gave up to acquire him, it's hardly a gamble.

He's done in junior hockey. So maybe his second stint with Abbotsford goes better than his start last year.

Reactions: Chiripa20

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I really hope Bloom can be like a Ryan Callahan , Kevin Leblanc or Mike Hoffman type or should I even say jonathan marchessault.

Let’s hope his overage season can turn him into a future Vancouver productive player especially after the game of his life today !!!!
What type of player do you expect him to be? All those players are completely different at the NHL level.

Reactions: wetcoast

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Bottom 6 power forward hopefully, and yes all of those players are different. With my point being sometimes CHL overage players make it to the NHL and hopefully we can get lucky with Bloom

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's some interesting young d-men in the pipeline for Abbotsford next season. D-Petey, Kudryavtsov, Felton, Hirose and maybe even Mynio.

Looking at last year Abbotsford blueline, Johansson has gone back to Sweden. While Woo, McWard and Cicek are all RFA's who need to be qualified.

Elsewhere, Brisebois and Wolanin have one year remaining on their deals; while Irwin is a UFA and unlikely to be back.

So the Canucks have some decisions to make......they don't want their new Abbotsford coach Manny Malhotra to inherit a totally green defense in a very tough league.

Reactions: Lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Josh Bloom on with Donnie and Dahli, still basking in his Memorial Cup winning goal. Just a delightful interview.....he seems like such an enthusiastic and down-to-earth kid.

Admitted that like a lot of Ontario kids growing up he idolized players on the Maple Leafs....but seemed a little 'red faced' to admit it. Added that he was sort of shocked to be traded to Vancouver, because he didn't think any other NHL teams out there would be interested in him.

Despite his travails in Abbotsford and then Kalamazoo, he says he gained a ton of experience, working with the Sedins and the Canuck coaching staff. And as an official 'free agent' he could have returned to any OHL team--but chose his original hometown team in Saginaw.

Just a real, solid character prospect, who'll be at development camp in July and then probably the Young-Stars Tournament. Really a kid who's impossible not to be pulling for.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
It's somewhat interesting that Mynio is the only one of those drafted by the Canucks.

Tolopilo has a 21 year old brother playing in Belarus: 6'3", 196 lbs, RD.
When the Canucks have traded away 2020 1st and 2nd, 2021 1st, 3rd, 2022 and 2023 2nd rounder. This year with no 1st and 2nd round pick either. A poor NCAA, CHL draft classes where no one was signed.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
One of these days a long shot prospect will pan out and we will celebrate with a bushel of emojis.
Agreed.....once and awhile an Alex Burrows comes along, who simply refuses to take 'no' for an answer. No matter how long the odds, they approach their hockey hockey career with an indefatigable work ethic and a determination to succeed.

That may or may not describe guys like Arshdeep Bains or Josh Bloom. But I have a feeling that if for any reason it doesn't come together for them, it won't be from a lack of character or their work rate.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Reactions: iceburg and Vector

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Our prospect pool has a long way to go (!!!) but there are some legit guys on the list now.

Tolopilo (#10), Sasson (#9), McWard (#8), Bains (#7) are guys that could all see NHL action as soon as this season.

None of them are top of the lineup types but it’s nice to at least have enough depth in our prospect pool where you can expect some of the deeper guys to step in and help when called upon.

We need a lot more in terms of top of the lineup type of prospects but at least it’s better than where we’ve been.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Our prospect pool has a long way to go (!!!) but there are some legit guys on the list now.

Tolopilo (#10), Sasson (#9), McWard (#8), Bains (#7) are guys that could all see NHL action as soon as this season.

None of them are top of the lineup types but it’s nice to at least have enough depth in our prospect pool where you can expect some of the deeper guys to step in and help when called upon.

We need a lot more in terms of top of the lineup type of prospects but at least it’s better than where we’ve been.
Vancouver needs some HUGE summers from their prospects. 16 games 0 points from rookies last season for the Canucks. They would be the only team that didn't have a rookie score a point from last season if not for Florida. They had no points but in 8 games.

In the past 2 seasons Canucks rookies have 25 points in 132 games. (16 from Aman previous season).

I've always defended Canucks prospect pool being a little better than what a lot have ranked but after this year, they are deserving the ranking of being a bottom half prospect pool.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Vancouver needs some HUGE summers from their prospects. 16 games 0 points from rookies last season for the Canucks. They would be the only team that didn't have a rookie score a point from last season if not for Florida. They had no points but in 8 games.

In the past 2 seasons Canucks rookies have 25 points in 132 games. (16 from Aman previous season).

I've always defended Canucks prospect pool being a little better than what a lot have ranked but after this year, they are deserving the ranking of being a bottom half prospect pool.

I'm not sure how 23-24 results from players who are no longer prospects means we deserve to be ranked as a bad prospect pool?

We had the worst prospect pool in the league when Jim Benning was fired midway through the 21-22 season. That has translated to few players hitting the NHL in 22-23 and 23-24. It doesn't mean that Willander/Lekkerimaki/Silovs aren't excellent prospects looking ahead to 24-25 and 25-26.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I'm not sure how 23-24 results from players who are no longer prospects means we deserve to be ranked as a bad prospect pool?

We had the worst prospect pool in the league when Jim Benning was fired midway through the 21-22 season. That has translated to few players hitting the NHL in 22-23 and 23-24. It doesn't mean that Willander/Lekkerimaki/Silovs aren't excellent prospects looking ahead to 24-25 and 25-26.
Do you think 3 potential prospects makes the Canucks system good? There are teams with 5 or 6 of those types of players in their pool. 😆

Half the league will get that amount of talent in this draft alone.

Reactions: wetcoast

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

So many posters were all about how Benning filled the prospect pool, how Gillis emptied it by winning all those games.

There have to be many, many posters with egg on their faces and embarrassed that they got led by the nose into thinking Benning did such a great job.

What IF Brackett didn't win the argument to draft Pettersson instead of Glass or if Hughes was drafted by Detroit instead of falling into his lap.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
name the teams with 5 willander type prospects
Basically every team that picked in the top 15-20 of the Willander draft, and top tenish last year. And then adjust for the risers or fallers (at best, Willander has traded water on draft position ).

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
So many posters were all about how Benning filled the prospect pool, how Gillis emptied it by winning all those games.

There have to be many, many posters with egg on their faces and embarrassed that they got led by the nose into thinking Benning did such a great job.

What IF Brackett didn't win the argument to draft Pettersson instead of Glass or if Hughes was drafted by Detroit instead of falling into his lap.
Lame. The what-ifs go the other way too. What if he didn't trade Forsling, what if he kept Chatfield instead of getting rid of him like most of HF Canucks wanted, what if Juolevi didn't suffer movement-disabling injuries, what if Virtanen matured into an actual adult... and so on.

If we look at reality, he built today's core, but he sucked at virtually everything else. I'm glad I wasn't one of the ones pretending to be Benning's champion, but this what-if stuff is lame.

Basically every team that picked in the top 15-20 of the Willander draft, and top tenish last year. And then adjust for the risers or fallers (at best, Willander has traded water on draft position ).
so, teams that have 2 of them... ok

• Haha
Reactions: theguardianII

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Lame. The what-ifs go the other way too. What if he didn't trade Forsling, what if he kept Chatfield instead of getting rid of him like most of HF Canucks wanted, what if Juolevi didn't suffer movement-disabling injuries, what if Virtanen matured into an actual adult... and so on.

If we look at reality, he built today's core, but he sucked at virtually everything else. I'm glad I wasn't one of the ones pretending to be Benning's champion, but this what-if stuff is lame.

so, teams that have 2 of them... ok
I don’t want to rehash everything, but Juolevi’s development went off the rails before his injuries, and not after. So it’s more likely he was just a bad pick.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I don’t want to rehash everything, but Juolevi’s development went off the rails before his injuries, and not after. So it’s more likely he was just a bad pick.
as someone who brushed them off, there's no doubt juolevi sent out danger signals early and often. it is highly doubtful in hindsight that there was ever a player there.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
name the teams with 5 willander type prospects
Those types meaning Lekkerimaki, Willander, Silovs.

For non bias top 75 affiliated prospects by the Athletic. Vancouver has 2 Willander, Lekkerimaki on the list. There are 16 teams that have 3 players or more on that list.
6 teams with 2, including Van.

Reactions: wetcoast and Hodgy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad