Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
With Joshua gone, I’m less sure what options are out there at forward who could make this team more difficult to play against. Edstrom obviously helps on the 4th line. Berard is kind of a water-bug high energy guy with skill.

Maybe Perron? He’s a bit of a PIA.

Marchessault? He’s a bit of a PIA.

Would they sig someone like Lomberg on the opposite wing from Edstrom and allow Cuylle to start on that 3rd line?

On defense there are more options.

Not many UFAs I like
Arvidsson and Kane is what I think will happen

Kakko for Glass would help 4th line C
Something like that anyway

Trouba for Holl . Crappy but cap savings

Resigning Lindgren . Sign a ufa D like Ruewedahl

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
nope.

1.75 for reaves
3.64 for goodrow
2.5 for nemeth

about 8 right there.
strome was getting 4.5, trocheck got 5.6, a 1.1mm increase.

5.8 + 1.1 is less than the 8 we paid for nemeth/goodrow/reaves.

it's not hard to fact check this stuff.
Yea but Buch wasn’t going to play 3 starting positions on the roster….

Plus the money already spent long term on wingers and future wages forecasted from Laf/kakko

Reactions: Daves a mess

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I keep forgetting about someone like Aube-Kubel. He’s low key a bit of a PIA and will cost minimal cap hit
He was great for dinging the cup in the celebration and then drinking vodka Titanic style in the Avs parade. Other than that...

meh

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Obviously that trade should not have been made. It should've been for better value. I don't think we could've made it work with Buch at the time, signing Kreider was the death knell for Buch in NY.
Pretty much this…. Panarin signed high $$ with term,/kakko/krav in the system

Last edited:
Reactions: nsvoyageurs

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
That you think they spent the money poorly is completely irrelevant.
these aren't separate things.

you said "they wouldn't have been able to make buch work at 6mm"

the only way that is actually correct is if you assume they HAD to allocate 8mm to gritty depth.

that's the whole conversation. they paid for gritty depth instead of paying for top 6 skill.

that's bad asset management.

Reactions: mas0764

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I don't think they were far along enough to justify self-renting Buch but I can respect it if that's your position.
Well they ended up having to send away two 2nds to rent Copp anyways to replace the Buch hole. If kept Buch into season, could have seen if he indeed was blocking either Kakko/Krach and then made a hockey trade, in season, for what they actually needed. But alas, all I'm saying is trading Buch at that exact moment was not the only viable option (to me at least).

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
If we deal Trouba somehow at the draft, I can see Drury adding a D that’s on nobody’s radar.

Sanheim
Weegar
Etc..

Think of teams that want picks/prospects and young guys like Kakko/chytil that may pop in a change of scenery setting….
Likely all of the above plus our 1st this year will be in play.

I don’t see Philly or Calgary looking to compete for the cup in the next 2-3 years.
I’m sure their other teams in forgetting as well.

Reactions: AirGut

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
CapFriendly has an interesting tool I haven't seen before that has scouting reports for some of the players;

Matt Roy
View attachment 888074
Matt Roy Scouting Report - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Brenden Dillon
View attachment 888075

Brenden Dillon Scouting Report - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

These are my guys

Dillon doesn't play PP< that's fine, the Rangers don't need that. He's a big, tough, hard-hitting LD and he won't require a long term commitment. 2-3 years
These tools are interesting. I’ll hack around with it a bit. I am curious though how many players the tool ranks as P1.

Reactions: NYR Viper

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
The org gives zero rusty f***s about what the fanbase thinks. See: fan outreach, social media presence, doing f***ing anything on a network they own, etc.

As long as the economy is good and the lower bowl and the boxes sell is what they care about, followed by Dolan wanting to win now because he's alive and winning is more fun than losing.

But fans have nothing to do with anything. You can't possibly think that a management team that speaks to the public once a year cares what Larry Brooks writes in the Post. Nonsense. Noncents even.
Fans were factored out of the equation in most sports once the owners didn't have to depend on attendance revenue to survive.

Apparently!
Myers also just got overpaid
No, no, a hundred million times NO!!!!

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
you're right to point this apparent incongruity out, so let me clarify: i can't speak to 84 years worth of mismanagement. i'm really talking about the last 20 years.

i think fan influence has changed in very recent history as social media and the internet has given platforms for vocal majorities. consider pride movements, etc. it's much subtler but still a real element imo for less specific issues like anti-euro bias.

i also didn't say fans control media, i said they feed it. fans aren't entirely culpable but i do believe that new york media is a cycle that capitalizes on what new york fans care about. This does have an influence on organizational strategy in my opinion. as was said (disparagingly), you can't rebuild in nyc.

What are you even talking about? The fans have no control over anything that goes on with the team. Neither does the media. Are you James Dolan? Bc for decades as a Knick and rangers fan, all my friends and I have wanted was to build a team correctly. We wore bags on our heads at the garden, we held a fan march to have Dolan removed as an owner. You must mean those 10 rangers fans on twitter who speak for the whole fan base that we can rebuild in NY. Look at what the knicks just did. Stop with your nonsense.

If we had that sway Dolan would be gone.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
With Joshua gone, I’m less sure what options are out there at forward who could make this team more difficult to play against. Edstrom obviously helps on the 4th line. Berard is kind of a water-bug high energy guy with skill.

Maybe Perron? He’s a bit of a PIA.

Marchessault? He’s a bit of a PIA.

Would they sig someone like Lomberg on the opposite wing from Edstrom and allow Cuylle to start on that 3rd line?

On defense there are more options.
I could be wrong, but I doubt one player is going to make the team tougher to play against.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Everyone is forgetting the problem with Buchnevich at the time was paying him $3M -> $6M was going to make the roster very very difficult to work the second Adam Fox went from 825k/yr to $9.5M.

If they did make it work, there's no money for Vincent Trochek for example and a huge 2C hole for example.
All of this is true and fair, BUT it is still not spot on to addressing the prob
We kept him too long
He had mo value w/a bit less production but more term, while remaining relatively if not actually cheap.
All we had to do was sell high
But no, despite zero chance we would go anywhere mgmt insisted on keeping thus reducing his value due to reduced term

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
Just to exemplify my thoughts towards getting Zegras and how Kreider would be a very good role model and leader for him.

They have a friendship already. Zegras would be a tremendous fit. If the Ducks are dumb enough to trade him.
this is the look of a man that's had enough of Chris Drury
2636226426.JPG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad