Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I’m sure this will open up a can of worms here but watching Henrique in the final right now has reminded me how much I hate that he was traded away. A reliable homegrown fan favorite 2/3 C that scored the biggest playoff goal of the last 15 years against our biggest rival. That alone should have made him untouchable. It’s not like his play degraded, he was fantastic for this team for his entire tenure here. And looking back on it, it’s kind of gross that so many of our fans seemed perfectly content to exchange him for a mid tier defenseman. Yes we needed to upgrade the defense but Ray should have found an alternative solution. If he couldn’t then oh well…Rico would have been a big value to this team over the last few years and certainly now judging by how many people recognize he’s someone we should target to bring back. Just a real shame. Shero sucked.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
2 guys I’m very interested in are Brendan Dillon for our 3LD spot and Teddy Blueger for our 4C. I’d give them both 2 years at 2.5M and 1.5M respectively.

Dillon a big solid veteran D who would be nice alongside Nemec and for the PK. Blueger is supposedly solid defensively, good on the PK, and he brings some speed to our bottom 6 while not being too small.

In terms of our other forward options given we’ll need at least a couple more I’m unsure about aspects of a lot of them.

Some of the other names I’d consider. Stephenson, Debrusk, Wennberg, Trenin, Sprong.
I'm pretty sure Dillon gets more than 2.5M. There are a lot of teams that could use him.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Id be all for trying to get another certain LW they happen to have now. What does Anaheim even need?

10th overall + Holtz for Gauthier. Some here probably gunna hate that but I'd be allllll over that.
I would love this but they will not trade Gauthier. Even if Chicago will draft Levshunov and they will draft Lindstrom.

Imagine top 6

Gauthier Carlsson Terry
Lindstrom McTavish Zegras(Vatrano/Gaucher/Pastujov/Sidorov)

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
My Bad, I blew it, it had nothing to do with my age or health. I just forgot to consider the retention of salary, making the total cost of goaltending around $6M instead of the $10 M I stated. My Bad, please don't blame age, blame stupidity.
Don't worry seriously, you can not know or forget something at 35.

even taking into account the retention, this is still an expensive trade for the team. especially in a compartment with Allen’s trade. We lost 1st and mostly 2nd picks for two old goalies for 1 and two years. It’s a gamble, but we need goalies, but it will hunt us.

woody footbreaker

Mar 12, 2018
Maybe, that’s where projections I saw for him were and it’s not like he’s a top 4 dman at this point. Also might be looking for the right situation which we could be. I’m fine overpaying a bit for him on a 2 year deal.
not sure why you say he isnt top4 dman at this point, he is exactly that and was a big part why wpeg barely get scored on and hellebuyck gets the verzina this year. helle stated this himself, he could only play that good bcause the d in front of him did a fantastic job boxing out and making him see all the shots. big rangy physical guy and perfect fit for nemec, very good on the pk. even at 3M for 2yrs i dont think its an overpay at all

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I’m sure this will open up a can of worms here but watching Henrique in the final right now has reminded me how much I hate that he was traded away. A reliable homegrown fan favorite 2/3 C that scored the biggest playoff goal of the last 15 years against our biggest rival. That alone should have made him untouchable. It’s not like his play degraded, he was fantastic for this team for his entire tenure here. And looking back on it, it’s kind of gross that so many of our fans seemed perfectly content to exchange him for a mid tier defenseman. Yes we needed to upgrade the defense but Ray should have found an alternative solution. If he couldn’t then oh well…Rico would have been a big value to this team over the last few years and certainly now judging by how many people recognize he’s someone we should target to bring back. Just a real shame. Shero sucked.

The guy who venerates Lou and his management style, Lou who traded away the guy who scored the Cup winning goal not less than 2 years after he did it?

The idea of making a guy untouchable for scoring one goal is beyond preposterous. It sucks that Devils fans don't have many good memories over the last 20 years, and that that is the best one. The Devils had Zacha, Hischier, and Henrique at center and decided to stick with the younger guys. Zacha sucked. Oh well.

Adam Henrique was on waivers in 2021. He's had a career renaissance. Good for him. I don't think he's played well at all for Edmonton and I don't think he's someone the Devils should target in free agency - people love nostalgia.

Oh, and obviously Henrique never would've lasted here through the rebuild.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Speaking of Nostalgia...

My my, how time flies...

Coming into year 8 of Nico and Bratt.
Year 6 of Jack...

This will be 6 years of the core 3 being together this year.

This season will be a full decade since the old regime was put away for the new....

Still no goalie produced and the two best, really the only two, defenders we've produced just finished their rookie season. After a decade....After a decade the goal is just make the playoffs in year 10.

It's been an interesting 10 years for the organization. I hope we keep our 10th overall pick.

Ahhh Nostalgia...

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I'd love for us to acquire Colton. We need that type of player for our bottom 6 and maybe he can step up and play LW with Jack or Nico.

Not sure what it would take, they gave up the 37th pick for him so we would likely have to give up a decent asset.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
I'm currently watching a 35, soon to be 36, year old goalie in the Stanley Cup finals.

I'm struggling to understand the mindset of prospect hoarding when NJ has a core that needs to be added to NOW, not five years from now.

Hell, if I'm Fitz and an NHL GM wants the 10th overall and they are offering up a veteran top 4 LD on draft day??? I'm making that deal.
It’s not about prospect hoarding it’s about understanding in a couple years players like Luke, Nemec, Hischier and eventually Jack again will be due big contract extensions and the team will need good ELC talent for cap purposes.

The only players worth trading that pick for is young high end players with RFA years or a legit star, trading that pick for any veteran top 4 LD is not good asset management.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Yeah, I don't know who might be available that would be worth that 10th overall.

I guess B. Tkachuk is the common answer but even a rising cap can't accommodate that deal and then two big deals to Luke and Nemec. (Once again, you'd need to move Palat somehow...) Even someone like Buchnevich (with a hush hush extension agreement) feels pricey and in theory you don't get the same value throughout the life of the deal.

A long way of saying just make the pick. Quite a few kids in that slot who are going to help the roster by 2026 latest.

Last edited:

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
Thoughts on a possible trade with the Jets for Rutger McGroarty? Best friends with Seamus Casey and would assume him and Luke are also good buds.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Speaking of Nostalgia...

My my, how time flies...

Coming into year 8 of Nico and Bratt.
Year 6 of Jack...

This will be 6 years of the core 3 being together this year.

This season will be a full decade since the old regime was put away for the new....

Still no goalie produced and the two best, really the only two, defenders we've produced just finished their rookie season. After a decade....After a decade the goal is just make the playoffs in year 10.

It's been an interesting 10 years for the organization. I hope we keep our 10th overall pick.

Ahhh Nostalgia...
Because Shero svcked.
Fitz drafted our D. In Jacks 4th season team was great. This season was ruined by injuries and green shape of defense. They will be much better next year, especially if Fitz will find too 4 D.
Its okay trajectory. You can check how long McDavid was up and down with his team full of 1st OA and 1st OA level picks players before playing in WCF and SCF.

Thoughts on a possible trade with the Jets for Rutger McGroarty? Best friends with Seamus Casey and would assume him and Luke are also good buds.
Jets will not do this trade. Only if there will be available some high profile player. We would like to draft by themselves.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
Because Shero svcked.
Fitz drafted our D. In Jacks 4th season team was great. This season was ruined by injuries and green shape of defense. They will be much better next year, especially if Fitz will find too 4 D.
Its okay trajectory. You can check how long McDavid was up and down with his team full of 1st OA and 1st OA level picks players before playing in WCF and SCF.

Jets will not do this trade. Only if there will be available some high profile player. We would like to draft by themselves.
According to Friedman he is not signing there and they are looking into moving him.
https://x.com/jeffmarek/status/1804474982677819597?s=46&t=KgtvtrkrvI0rlROKHlrE6A

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
The guy who venerates Lou and his management style, Lou who traded away the guy who scored the Cup winning goal not less than 2 years after he did it?

The idea of making a guy untouchable for scoring one goal is beyond preposterous. It sucks that Devils fans don't have many good memories over the last 20 years, and that that is the best one. The Devils had Zacha, Hischier, and Henrique at center and decided to stick with the younger guys. Zacha sucked. Oh well.

Adam Henrique was on waivers in 2021. He's had a career renaissance. Good for him. I don't think he's played well at all for Edmonton and I don't think he's someone the Devils should target in free agency - people love nostalgia.

Oh, and obviously Henrique never would've lasted here through the rebuild.
Is this serious? Lou traded Arnott for two players who were major contributors to yet another Stanley cup. Henrique was traded for a mid defender, on a team that was in a wildcard spot almost certainly for no other reason than they had one player having a non-replicable monster mvp level season. What did that trade get us? Ultimately nothing concrete in the long run.

And you know darned well he was put on waivers in 21 not because he wasn’t performing. He’s been a consistent 0.5 ppg performer his entire career including that season. He’s contributed a similar point rate for Edmonton this playoffs. What the heck are you talking about?

He would have survived the rebuild…only if by choice of the GM. Travis Zajac - a guy who put up similar numbers but was just better defensively - survived quite a few leans years before being traded at age 35. One year older than current Henrique.

You want to make the argument that we shouldn’t target him to return now, fine. I don’t know if I fully agree but you can make that argument. But the rest of that was BS.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Because Shero svcked.

My post was really just a tongue in cheek way of saying that there is absolutely nothing wrong with reminiscing about the "good times".

We've have had so few in the past 10 or so years that those moments like "Henrique it's over" keep us going through picking in the top 10 year after year.

That's how I get through it anyways.

Last edited:

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I remember the good times when a core that had less combined playoff experience than Chris Kreider figured it out and sent that team packing.

But yeah, that's not indicative of anything to come and every time we miss that's more the reality. We're so far off now that the irreplaceable Severson and Graves are doing jack shit elsewhere.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Because Shero svcked.

10th for Rutger

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I remember the good times when a core that had less combined playoff experience than Chris Kreider figured it out and sent that team packing.

But yeah, that's not indicative of anything to come and every time we miss that's more the reality. We're so far off now that the irreplaceable Severson and Graves are doing jack shit elsewhere.
2023 was certainly "the" highlight since 2012. If you were 4 or 5 years old in 2012 you might have graduated highschool in between highlights.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

I mean, he was traded for Vatanen who was a legit #1 DMan for us for a bit...helped get us to the playoffs in 2018.

We all love Henrique, but yeah. It wasn't some terrible trade.

It’s not about prospect hoarding it’s about understanding in a couple years players like Luke, Nemec, Hischier and eventually Jack again will be due big contract extensions and the team will need good ELC talent for cap purposes.

The only players worth trading that pick for is young high end players with RFA years or a legit star, trading that pick for any veteran top 4 LD is not good asset management.

I just will never understand why some are so worried about what MIGHT happen in 4-5 years

This team is ready NOW. Go win NOW. Worry about the rest later. You can't always be worried about half a decade away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad