Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Still gonna be way higher than Holtz and 10 overall in my opinion. Put up 2 60+ point seasons before turning 22 and has some high-end skill.
Normally I'd say he's one of those guys that brings nothing new to our core group... but the idea of reuniting him with Jack and getting him out of Anaheim does intrigue me. That said two 60+ seasons on a team that has been the league's worst offense the last 4 years (I think that's right) I don't see why Anaheim moves him for a pick and project.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
We gave too much value and got very little in return....in two years Markstrom will be worthless...it is not like a Palmieri or Johansson that you're gonna flip for assets at the end.... Markstrom at 36 going on 37 will be worth nothing.

A protected first and Kevin Bahl is too much for a proven starting goaltender?

That first round pick, if things go well, could be lower 20's. That player could be 5-6 YEARS away from playing NHL games.

f*** me, Nico will be in his 30's by then lol.

Reactions: Devil X

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
We gave too much value and got very little in return....in two years Markstrom will be worthless...it is not like a Palmieri or Johansson that you're gonna flip for assets at the end.... Markstrom at 36 will worth nothing.

Markstrom helps now, Bahl maybe helps in the future. I think this is some of the stuff we are forgetting.

What Bahl brought is replaceable and you know that. Fitz is trying to make the team better next season. Clearly the front office felt Markstrom moved the teams needle more the Bahl.

In two years the Devils are hoping that Schmid Daws or someone else will be ready. Ideally one of those kids is pushing Markstrom next year for the starting position as Allen will be gone after the season. Bahl's future with the Devils was likely always a trade piece given the contracts they will need to give out to Luke, Simon, and Dawson.

Someone said it before Kevin Bahl is the new Jon Merrill.

Reactions: Bleedred

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Isn't that kind of the point of upgrading the goaltending so when they do make mistakes they don't almost always end up in the back of the net?
No... that's not the way it should work. If you are expecting a goalie to make up for a bad defense....you will have bad both

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Graves was not a top four here either really, at least not two years ago

What? Ryan Graves was always in our Top 4.

2021-22
Graves was Hamilton’s main partner w/ 464 minutes 5v5. (The next most with Dougie was Sieg w/ 201 minutes 5v5.)

with Severson: 387 minutes 5v5
with Subban: 243 minutes 5v5

And you can see the by the chart below that Subban was on the 3rd pair, EXCEPT when he played with Graves while Dougie was out.

IMG_8071.png

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
We gave too much value and got very little in return....in two years Markstrom will be worthless...it is not like a Palmieri or Johansson that you're gonna flip for assets at the end.... Markstrom at 36 going on 37 will be worth nothing.

True, but if he were younger and performing they wouldn't even be looking to move him unless they have a replacement.

woody footbreaker

Mar 12, 2018
Siegenthaler Hamilton
Hughes Marino
Dillon(2.5M) Nemec
Hattaka

Markstrom
Allen

Would leave us 9.5M to fill out our forward group with 3-4 additions. Think it’s solid with potential for worry when injuries happen. Might need to fill in the veteran depth a bit more in both sides. Although we do have Misyul and Vilen in the minors on the left side.
was thinking exactly this D since the TDL ... but what you guys think, it looks like if one of our RD goes down? not just on the PK

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Normally I'd say he's one of those guys that brings nothing new to our core group... but the idea of reuniting him with Jack and getting him out of Anaheim does intrigue me. That said two 60+ seasons on a team that has been the league's worst offense the last 4 years (I think that's right) I don't see why Anaheim moves him for a pick and project.

Id be all for trying to get another certain LW they happen to have now. What does Anaheim even need?

10th overall + Holtz for Gauthier. Some here probably gunna hate that but I'd be allllll over that.

Reactions: Guadana

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
thx, makes sense and would probably be better have him as 7th D and keep hatakka and misyul down in Utica
I’d rather have Hattaka in the NHL. He has to go through waivers one and I think the left side of our D is weaker so I’d rather have immediately available help. Also think he’s better than DeSimone

Camille the Eel

I agree with that - but on the other hand we can’t afford another season in the lottery. We are at a delicate point where we need to at least consolidate our team’s identity and confidence, including the fans confidence. And that has to start in goal. It’s the single most important position in hockey, providing the difference between winning and losing on a nightly basis and it’s been a bleeding wound for us almost every season for half a decade or more. If Markstrom can solidify us there, even for just a season, hopefully 2, I can see it being worth Bahl.

But can he? That’s the judgment call. When the Raiders brought a spent Jim Plunkett in at QB, did they think he’d win the Super Bowl?

Another season like the last one would be a disaster in my eyes. The competition will continue to be stiff. If we are still battling out with Detroit and Philly next year and falling short . . . You can have all the talent in the world and if it doesn’t fit together right, you can still suck. And without good goaltending, not just average but good, you aren’t doing anything much in this league.

Is that Markstrom for a couple of seasons? I d k, frankly haven’t watched him play much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad