Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
They will be better....what level better though? I think their progression correlates directly to when this team can compete.

They just need to beat out the corpses of Washington, Pittsburgh and the Isles.

Also, can't see the Rags having another president trophy season. Canes could take a step back if they lose more key players.

Jackets are dead in the water and I think Torts wears out his welcome in Philly.

Just get in.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
There is none expect run 7 Dmen... can't fit another defensive defenseman anywhere except for #7
So there is none which is exactly what I said so what exactly have you been complaining about or wanting?

One of those 3 if gonna have to take on PK duties.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
They just need to beat out the corpses of Washington, Pittsburgh and the Isles.

Also, can't see the Rags having another president trophy season. Canes could take a step back if they lose more key players.

Jackets are dead in the water and I think Torts wears out his welcome in Philly.

Just get in.
Making the playoffs is a must. I don't consider just making the playoffs being truly competitive.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So there is none which is exactly what I said so what exactly have you been complaining about or wanting?

One of those 3 if gonna have to take on PK duties.

I wanted Bahl available...
.or someone like him and I didn't think we should have given him up for a 35 year old goaltender.

I think I said that? We're going in circles.

I think our D is worse without Bahl in the organization.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
.or someone like him and I didn't think we should have given him up for a 35 year old goaltender.

As the 7th D or what are you saying?

Because everyone is talking about getting a potentially better veteran penalty killer than Bahl to replace him.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

Easily replaced.
4CE34F6100000578-0-image-a-3_1528067878114.jpg

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

Yes, you're probably right, at the moment. No team can trade a starting top 6 D and claim they are stronger 48 hours later.

What you are refusing to acknowledge is that leadership has the draft, free agency and all offseason to address this.

I believe they will.

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
Good lineup. A couple of minor adjustments from me:
1. I'll start Nolan Foote in AHL, even if that means him going through waivers and potentially losing him. I'll drop Bastian to the 13th forward spot and see if we can bring in another tough and physical 4th liner that can actually play. Pospisil would of been perfect if we got him from Markstrom trade.
2. Giving Holtz another chance with a new coach? I'm in two minds because Toffoli's production needs to be replaced and i just dont think Holtz has what it takes. If Anaheim are willing to accept pick 10 and Holtz for Zegras, i'll like to pursue this option to bring Jack's best mate to the team. An alternative is using Holtz in a swap for Laine at 50% retained would interest me if that would appeal to Columbus? Maybe we need to persist with Holtz for one more season as the team don't have the cap to bring in another $4m-$6m winger, even if Mercer takes a team friendly bridge deal.
3. For the team 7th defenseman, we need a veteran that can play both sides and willing to sit for a long time and only get in the lineup if there is injuries. It needs to be someone that can PK regularly. Could someone like TJ Brodie accept this new role at a minimum salary to re-unite with his old coach? I also like Joel Edmundson and even bringing back Nick DeSimone.
4. Agree with Seamus Casey comments. Let him play a full season or two in AHL.

10OA and Holtz for Zegras? No way

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Oh and Smith???

Him leaving is addition by subtraction. Nobody is going to miss him.

Nice guy, shite hockey player.
Not really he was an excellent PKer.... that's all he was good for but he was very good at that one thing.

And I wish we had a forward as good as Coleman or Sharangovich at killing penalties

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Not really he was an excellent PKer.... that's all he was good for but he was very good at that one thing.

And I wish we had a forward as good as Coleman or Sharangovich at killing penalties

Half the time the Devils are on the PK, this :eek::eek::eek::eek: is sat in the box because his dumb ass gave away the penalty.

We are not going to miss him. Trust me.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I'm actually morbidly curious on what Zegras' trade value is right now. Just strikes me as a guy that old school GMs are going to haaaaaaaaate and his value has to be at an all time low right now just in general
Still gonna be way higher than Holtz and 10 overall in my opinion. Put up 2 60+ point seasons before turning 22 and has some high-end skill.

Reactions: Alex NJD and Forge

Camille the Eel

I think losing Bahl sucks.

I don’t know if they keep Vulojevic, he might not get qualified and just wander off somewhere.
Bahl’s long reach on the penalty kill was valuable in breaking up passes and blocking shots. He should continue to progress and with his big physique, strength and better positioning and experience, I expect him to be in the league filling middle 6 minutes and PK’ing for maybe another 10 years. We took a long time bringing him to this point. He’s not a scrub. But you have to give value to get it and if Markstrom performs well enough the deal can be a good exchange for us.

But as everyone says, we have work to do shoring up left D. And if Markstrom disappoints this will look less attractive.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Half the time the Devils are on the PK, this :eek::eek::eek::eek: is sat in the box because his dumb ass gave away the penalty.

We are not going to miss him. Trust me.
That really was just board meme and not true at all he averaged 2:47 a game on the PK.

I'm not disputing he took a lot of penalties....but he killed a lot of penalties too.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I think Nemec can definitely come in next year on the 2nd PK and be just fine.

There is also the possibility that Fitz is looking for a hockey trade with one of Sieg or Marino. Im guessing those types of moves wouldnt happen until he know if there is any FAs he wants to bring in to shake things up on the backend.

I also think one of those 2 guys (Marino or Sieg) can bounce back they had a tough year last year but new coach new system might being back what those guys can do.

Reactions: Guadana

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

We agree there. I never liked the Toffoli trade, been saying it all year.

You'll get the usual "Shara is the same player that he was here" replies.

My point being, exactly and we miss him.

Coleman? Ancient history. You get over it. He got his cups and got PAID. Good for him.

That really was just board meme and not true at all he averaged 2:47 a game on the PK.

I'm not disputing he took a lot of penalties....but he killed a lot of penalties too.

Somebody had to kill the penalties that Bahl took.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Bahl’s long reach on the penalty kill was valuable in breaking up passes and blocking shots. He should continue to progress and with his big physique, strength and better positioning and experience, I expect him to be in the league filling middle 6 minutes and PK’ing for maybe another 10 years. We took a long time bringing him to this point. He’s not a scrub. But you have to give value to get it and if Markstrom performs well enough the deal can be a good exchange for us.

But as everyone says, we have work to do shoring up left D.
We gave too much value and got very little in return....in two years Markstrom will be worthless...it is not like a Palmieri or Johansson that you're gonna flip for assets at the end.... Markstrom at 36 going on 37 will be worth nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Camille the Eel

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Not impossible to workout but my issue is there is no alternative or backup.
At some point you have to bite the bullet and throw him into the fire, and it could be worse than 2nd PK unit.

Most teams don't have 5 D that kill penalties on a regular basis, and Doughie can be a backup if necessary.

Signing a 7th or 8th D on the cheap could work too but as it is, we're already probably carrying McDermid or Hataka as the 7d on the left side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad