Prospect Info: Matvei Gridin - 2024 Draft #28 Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
This one surprised me a lot. I was a little disappointed when a guy who I hadn't heard of was picked shortly after a couple guys I liked (Solberg, Greentree) and before some of the others I liked (Basha, Ritchie). Especially when the scouting consensus seems to be a lot lower on him than the Flames were. However, in the USHL this year he put up points at a high rate and I'm never going to be mad at the Flames for betting on production.

I watched some highlights and shift by shift and I kind of see the vision. He's obviously talented. He's very smooth, has a great shot and seems to have good vision. Most importantly I think he's a fairly high IQ player. But I also can see why some scouts didn't like him. He doesn't seem all that involved in the play at times and can be kind of floaty.

He's going to be fun one to watch develop, his playstyle strikes me as a dead ringer for another NHLers but I can't seem to place who it is.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What CHL team owns his rights? If any.
I don't think any, I remember seeing somewhere that he's expected to be taken in the import draft. I'm hoping either Mississauga or Kingston so he can potentially play on a line with Misa or Battaglia.

Reactions: Fig

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
One of my big criticisms of him in my viewings was blowing the zone and not really supporting the breakout. Now having said that, it was also a criticism I had for Boisvert, so it could very well be a Muskegon systems thing. I think Gridin can be a solid puck carrier through the NZ. Big thing for me is he’s excellent making outlets from on the walls in the DZ, which is a key thing for wingers I look for.

I don't think any, I remember seeing somewhere that he's expected to be taken in the import draft. I'm hoping either Mississauga or Kingston so he can potentially play on a line with Misa or Battaglia.
Thank you! Either of those would be nice. Saginaw probably fits his current playstyle too, but could be nice to see him develop in a tighter, more pro style system.

Reactions: Fig

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I watched some highlights and shift by shift and I kind of see the vision. He's obviously talented. He's very smooth, has a great shot and seems to have good vision. Most importantly I think he's a fairly high IQ player. But I also can see why some scouts didn't like him. He doesn't seem all that involved in the play at times and can be kind of floaty.

He's going to be fun one to watch develop, his playstyle strikes me as a dead ringer for another NHLers but I can't seem to place who it is.
Fortunately, I think the bolded is much easier to teach than the offensive tools he already has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad