Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
just curious, is shero our go now? no? oh, then why are we even talking about this?

he didn’t draft d men well. great. let’s move on because literally nothing is to change how the roster was constructed 8 years ago.

I'm not privy to the other side of this conversation but it's especially funny to think about in light of the previous 10 or so seasons before Shero stepped in. Shero was GM for 4+ years and only got to run 4 drafts as full-time GM (2016-2019); Fitzgerald has already been the GM for longer.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
The lou cherry on top is punting 11 overall for matteau and that 31st pick
This continued criticism is so wrong - it’s entirely results based. It’s fine to not agree with what the team did, but admit that punting 2012 and keeping 2014 could have also resulted in a busted pick.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Curious if something like:

Jarry + Pens 2 2nds for 10ov. + choice of Dawson Daws / Schmid

Does anything for you guys?
Despite the replies above, this doesn't sound terrible.

The problem is, he is coming off the worse season of his career, at least in terms of save %, and he's 2 years off of playing at a legitimately high level. Of course Pitt's never been worse, so that will drag that % down, but still, he hasn't performed to a level which would entice us to trade the #10oa, even if we are getting a couple 2nd's back.

And after doing a little research I found this:

Seem's he's better early in the year, and then fade's pretty dramatically late. He also has a terrible playoff record, and has missed playoff games as well. And all of that is not a good cocktail.

But he's not old, he's under contract for 4 more years, and his cap hit is very workable, if he can get back to playing like he did in 21-22 that trade works out great for us.

So not terrible, and despite the quick rejections above, given his age, contract, and more importantly, the Devils crappy goal tending situation, it is a trade NJ would have to consider, but I think I'd probably pass.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The Devils are already in win-now mode anyway and they can just re-address goaltending in 2 years when Markstrom’s deal expires. It’s not the worst scenario.

Not every deal has to be an 8 year solution.
Ya 2 years of Markstrom allows a Markstrom Allen duo for a year. Then hopefully a Markstrom Daws/Schmid duo for a year. Then, again hopefully, a Daws/Schmid/whoever duo for a year.

Markstrom makes sense. Trading the 10oa for Markstrom does not makes sense. But a 3rd rounder plus Schmid? Done.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
This continued criticism is so wrong - it’s entirely results based. It’s fine to not agree with what the team did, but admit that punting 2012 and keeping 2014 could have also resulted in a busted pick.
It’s value based and not results based. Remove the names from the picks and you get

Would you accept a trade for two first round picks in the 30s for pick 11? Because that’s essentially what it came down too

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I can’t see Markstrom wanting to go to the “gong show” in Ottawa. You have a GM and a player riverboat gambling up there..Plus rumors of infighting. Does he have a full No Move?

Besides Daws and Schmid, Poulter has looked great this year. Plus they just added Málek. He had good numbers in Europe. Do they still have Tyler Brennan? If so add him to the list.

Because of this, I would not be as concerned with Markstrom’s age/health. Daws and Shmid were the best goalies at times and are more than capable to fill in for Allen or Markstrom for short periods of time. I am also hopeful that Keefe will do be better with usage.

Reactions: woody footbreaker

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Despite the replies above, this doesn't sound terrible.

The problem is, he is coming off the worse season of his career, at least in terms of save %, and he's 2 years off of playing at a legitimately high level. Of course Pitt's never been worse, so that will drag that % down, but still, he hasn't performed to a level which would entice us to trade the #10oa, even if we are getting a couple 2nd's back.

And after doing a little research I found this:

Seem's he's better early in the year, and then fade's pretty dramatically late. He also has a terrible playoff record, and has missed playoff games as well. And all of that is not a good cocktail.

But he's not old, he's under contract for 4 more years, and his cap hit is very workable, if he can get back to playing like he did in 21-22 that trade works out great for us.

So not terrible, and despite the quick rejections above, given his age, contract, and more importantly, the Devils crappy goal tending situation, it is a trade NJ would have to consider, but I think I'd probably pass.
Fair. I figured Jarry would do better is a better defensive system like in NJ.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ottawa? Is Korpisalo being bought out after only year? Who are they gonna get to take that awful contract?

I think the only team dumb enough to take that awful contract off Ottawa’s hands is……Ottawa? They did just hire Travis Green as head coach.

But they can’t make a trade to themselves lol.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Here's hoping Markstrom uses his NMC to only allow a move to the states.
We’ve gotta be much more of a favorable destination than Ottawa.

The new management/owners have already proven they’re a joke and can’t be trusted with the Travis Green hiring only a minute or two into the offseason. That hiring is a Dorion/Melnyk special, despite both of them being gone.

It’s also “Ottawa’s year!” every season. But they go and do something to f*** it up like sign Korpisalo to a 5 year deal for $4 million per or won’t fire DJ Smith or hire Travis Green right out of the gate.

I’m assuming you mean Toronto though.

Reactions: My3Sons

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Sounds like Saros could resign in Nashville?

I'd love to get Askarov, but I could see Fitz wanting to go for a vet like Markstrom. The age is a concern for me though. Would hope there would be retained salary ($1-1.5M).

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Markstrom sucks! Ullmark is much more attractive trade target but all the options aren’t all that great. I’m really excited for what fitz does this summer but I hope it’s not markstrom. I think I’d rather try John gibson (I don’t) before markstrom. Ullmark and Allen would be a great tandem. I still have faith in Schmid to be a 1B

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Curious if something like:

Jarry + Pens 2 2nds for 10ov. + choice of Dawson Daws / Schmid

Does anything for you guys?
Is mercer included in this? That’s gotta be a typo

is it just supposed to be 10 ov plus choice of daws or schmid

Either way devils would be taking on cap and not giving much up cap

10 ov for jarry and a couple seconds is just not worth it at all. Not even close

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
It’s value based and not results based. Remove the names from the picks and you get

Would you accept a trade for two first round picks in the 30s for pick 11? Because that’s essentially what it came down too
And the answer is maybe.

The decision was a trade of an unprotected 2014 1st for 2012 low 1st and future considerations (which became a 2014 low 1st).

The two years makes a big difference.

Obviously, the risk was the "unprotected" nature of the 2014 pick. But, if you think you're likely a playoff team in two years, it's not outrageous.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Is mercer included in this? That’s gotta be a typo

is it just supposed to be 10 ov plus choice of daws or schmid

Either way devils would be taking on cap and not giving much up cap

10 ov for jarry and a couple seconds is just not worth it at all. Not even close
Truthfully, I missed the "dawson" in there I only saw Daws.

Reactions: SEALBound

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
And the answer is maybe.

The decision was a trade of an unprotected 2014 1st for 2012 low 1st and future considerations (which became a 2014 low 1st).

The two years makes a big difference.

Obviously, the risk was the "unprotected" nature of the 2014 pick. But, if you think you're likely a playoff team in two years, it's not outrageous.
If you think you are a cup contender which they made the finals then why keep that pick who likely won’t be in the nhl 2-3 years from then. In theory you already have the pieces and that first round pick should be an easy loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad