Devils chances at playoffs - The Final Push - Points and Standings Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
It's not worth stressing over points any longer. NJ isn't a good team. Every single time they have a chance to take a major step toward a playoff position, they CONSTANTLY find a way to **** the bed. Teams that constantly do that are one thing and one thing only - poor to average teams. This has been going on for 67 games now. It doesn't matter which guy is in goal or which players are playing / scratched. Thy never ever find a way to consistently click on all cylinders. And as the games melt off of the schedule, the need for a 4 or 5 game clip grows bigger and bigger. This is a major issue for a team that simply cannot win more than 2 games in a row.

I'll gladly eat crow if they find a way to get in, but I really see no evidence to suggest that they're going to actually make that happen. Last night's loss was unacceptable after being up 3 - 1. They had the points in the bag against an injured and lousy team and they pissed them away. Just a horrific loss on so many levels.

Moe Syzlak

Sep 27, 2009
Who's up for a lame joke?

The Devils website is no longer working because they can't string together three W's in a row.

ba-da-dum

Let's not kid ourselves or get our hopes up. A team that can't win more than two games in a row and blows third period leads to the Florida Panthers is not a playoff team, regardless of their "favorable" remaining schedule.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York

The Devils website is no longer working because they can't string together three W's in a row.

ba-da-dum

Let's not kid ourselves or get our hopes up. A team that can't win more than two games in a row and blows third period leads to the Florida Panthers is not a playoff team, regardless of their "favorable" remaining schedule.

The math is staggering. They've played 67 games now and have only a single 3 game win streak thrown in there! They've done it one ****ing time, and it was back in November no less. Out of all of these games played, the longest string of wins is less than 5% of the total number played :laugh:. No worries though, as long as they win 2 of every 3 the rest of the way..... (I usually stick up for DeBoer but he really needs to save that 2/3 bull ****.)

They haven't been a playoff team for pretty much this entire season. Last night shows exactly why this is the case.

Last edited:

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

Sg8vJkv.gif

*sigh*

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
The Devils are 18-1-4 when leading and going in to the third period. Last night was the first time they did not get a point in that situation. The power play is fourth in the league and the penalty kill is 2nd. It doesn't make sense.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
The Devils are 18-1-4 when leading and going in to the third period. Last night was the first time they did not get a point in that situation. The power play is fourth in the league and the penalty kill is 2nd. It doesn't make sense.

That is an extremely misleading stat. It does not account for leads gained and lost within the period, which is what typically happens to the Devils.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
The reason for the loses are irrelevant... they are. And they are dramatic and overwhelming.

How can anyone blame coaching when they have a top 10 PP, a top 10 PK and a top 10 defense (in term of goals allowed)??

Ironically, defense and special teams are the areas coaching can make the biggest difference... what more do you want than top 10 in every category? Coaching my butt!

All this tells me is that this team is ATROCIOUS 5 on 5. Isn't that supposed to be the strength of Pete's system?

This team was blowing leads, and leaving points on the table under Deboer before Cory even got here.

And I have never been impressed with the D under Pete I don't care where we rank. Most of that is due to puck possession but their positional play in their own zone has been trash since Pete took over.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There's a reason there's one thread for discussing goaltending at large. That reason is because most people can't keep from sucking down EVERY SINGLE OTHER thread with it. Do we really have to start infracting people en masse for this? You all know the rules, follow them.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

That is an extremely misleading stat. It does not account for leads gained and lost within the period, which is what typically happens to the Devils.

It also doesn't account for multi-goal leads blown BEFORE the third period like the Vancouver game in October. Or like you said games like the Canes where we blew a three-goal lead only to win it. I dare say the 18-1-4 is the single most misleading stat I've ever seen.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Our winning percentage leading after 2 is still in the bottom third of the league.

The reason why they have a top 10 powerplay, top 10 pk and still have a losing record is because they are horrible 5 on 5. Washington has the same 5v5F/A ratio as us and they are not even close ot a good even strength team.

5 on 5 has to improve.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They have a top ten PP because of a guy who isn't even in the lineup now. And honestly Pete delegates a lot of that in-game stuff to his assistants anyway...Barr runs the PP, Foglino the PK, Stevens the D and Pete the general system (re: 5-on-5) along with lineup decisions. Which of those areas has had the biggest breakdowns consistently this year? While it's been the D lately, in general it's Pete's areas.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
They have a top ten PP because of a guy who isn't even in the lineup now. And honestly Pete delegates a lot of that in-game stuff to his assistants anyway...Barr runs the PP, Foglino the PK, Stevens the D and Pete the general system (re: 5-on-5) along with lineup decisions. Which of those areas has had the biggest breakdowns consistently this year? While it's been the D lately, in general it's Pete's areas.

I'm not going to diminish the contributions of Gelinas but almost every single PP member has had an increase in production this season.

The PP clicked last night late in the first period to score a critical goal....

Making like Gelinas is the "only" reason for the increase PP production is a bit ridiculous. Have you seen Zidlicky's 7 pp goals or Henrique's 7 or Elias' 13 assists? The PP has improved significantly this season... yes Gelinas played a part in that, even a significant part, but the entire team has been better at the PP this season.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Where is Zubrus? He might not even hit 30 points this season. Had loads of time on the first line earlier in the season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm not going to diminish the contributions of Gelinas but almost every single PP member has had an increase in production this season.

The PP clicked last night late in the first period to score a critical goal....

Making like Gelinas is the "only" reason for the increase PP production is a bit ridiculous. Have you seen Zidlicky's 7 pp goals or Henrique's 7 or Elias' 13 assists? The PP has improved significantly this season... yes Gelinas played a part in that, even a significant part, but the entire team has been better at the PP this season.

The stats with Gelinas in the lineup and without him speak for themselves. It's something like 24% in games he plays and 10% in games he doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad