Devils chances at playoffs - The Final Push - Points and Standings Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
This team has done very little to make me believe that they'll capitalize on a 57% chance at making it.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm cautiously optimistic. We seem to be trending up while the teams we're competing with are either trending down (Carolina, Ottawa, Washington, Detroit) or failing to really gain much (Philly, Columbus).

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Here is a breakdown of the records each playoff contention team needs to get to 92 points (the likely cutoff point for the last wildcard spot). I did not include Boston & Pitt since they are locks to make it.

Toronto - 15 Games Remaining, 14 Points to 92
7-8-0
6-8-2
5-7-4
*Devils play them 1 time*

Montreal - 16 Games Remaining, 15 points to 92
7-8-1
6-7-3
5-6-5

Tampa Bay - 17 Games Remaining, 17 points to 92
8-8-1
7-7-3
6-6-5

NYR - 16 Games Remaining, 18 points to 92
9-7-0
8-6-2
7-5-4

Columbus - 17 Games Remaining, 19 points to 92
9-7-1
8-6-3
7-5-5

Philly - 17 Games Remaining, 19 points to 92
9-7-1
8-6-3
7-5-5

New Jersey - 16 Games Remaining, 21 points to 92
10-5-1
9-4-3
8-3-5

Detroit - 17 Games Remaining, 21 points to 92
10-6-1
9-5-3
8-4-5

Washington - 15 Games Remaining, 22 points to 92
11-4-0
10-3-2
9-2-4

Ottawa - 17 Games Remaining, 24 points to 92
12-5-0
11-4-2
10-3-4

Carolina - 17 Games Remaining, 27 points to 92
13-3-1
12-2-3
11-1-5

It would be cool to see this with home games remaining and home winning % noted.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Here is a breakdown of the records each playoff contention team needs to get to 92 points (the likely cutoff point for the last wildcard spot). I did not include Boston & Pitt since they are locks to make it.

While I'd love to see NYR flounder and us finish above them, I don't see it with their remaining schedule.

Philly has a killer schedule, and Detroit's is tough, but they're missing top personnel.

I think the latter two are the targets we need to shoot for.

The Blue Jackets are truly a wildcard in the mix, capable of storming into the playoffs or folding down the stretch.

Only thing for certain is we can't take our softer schedule for granted. The team needs to get a couple of its goal scorers clicking and beat those teams that we should.

Last edited:

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
** Mod Note **

We usually have a standings tracker thread to discuss the push to the playoffs and as this thread has basically been that discussion so I'm editing the title to make this the official one rather than have another one pop up and split the discussion into 2 threads.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
** Mod Note **

We usually have a standings tracker thread to discuss the push to the playoffs and as this thread has basically been that discussion so I'm editing the title to make this the official one rather than have another one pop up and split the discussion into 2 threads.

OK. I'll allow it.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I really want to finish anywhere but the 8th seed. I read an article 3 days ago that if the season ended on that day the Rags (5th seed) and the Flyers (6th seed) would vs. eachother because of the playoff system.

In the first round of the playoffs, the East’s top seed — the division winner with the best record — will face its eighth seed — the wild-card team with the worse record. The other division winner and the top wild card will face off in the 2-7 matchup, and then within each division, the second and third seeds will play.

So, for example, as of Saturday morning, the top three teams in the Atlantic were Boston (85 points), Montreal (77 points) and Toronto (74 points). The top three teams in the Metropolitan were Pittsburgh (88), Philadelphia (72) and the Rangers (72). The two wild cards were Tampa Bay (73) and Detroit (71), both from the Atlantic Division.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...d-card-system-article-1.1715666#ixzz2vlOdJxgR

Anywhere but 8th, please.

2 back of 7th, 3 back of 6th, 4 back of 5th.

Keep at it boys.

Last edited:

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
I really want to finish anywhere but the 8th seed. I read an article 3 days ago that if the season ended on that day the Rags (6th seed) and the Flyers (7th seed) would vs. eachother because of the playoff system.

Keep at it boys.

Why wouldn't you want to play Pitt over Boston?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I really want to finish anywhere but the 8th seed. I read an article 3 days ago that if the season ended on that day the Rags (6th seed) and the Flyers (7th seed) would vs. eachother because of the playoff system.

Keep at it boys.

I'd really prefer not to play Pitt either. Getting the 3rd spot in the division is huge.

Now if the wildcard team beats the 1st seed, say the Dev's beat the Bruinds, do they stay on that side of the bracket, or is their a re-shuffle?

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I'd really prefer not to play Pitt either. Getting the 3rd spot in the division is huge.

Now if the wildcard team beats the 1st seed, say the Dev's beat the Bruinds, do they stay on that side of the bracket, or is their a re-shuffle?

They stay on their side of the bracket. Good article there. Click the link. Explains it well.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Boston scares the **** out of me. I'd much rather play Pittsburgh. Fleury hates playing against us and we can grind every bit as well as Pittsburgh can.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Lost in all of this is that the 7th best record in the conference doesn't necessarily play Boston.

It doesn't work that way anymore. I just want to finish third in the Metro, I guess.

If the Devils finish third in the metro, for example, and if the standings finish as follows:

1. Pitt (1st in Metro)
2. Boston (1st in Atlantic)
3. Toronto (2nd in Atlantic)
4. Montreal (3rd in Atlantic)
5. Rags (2nd in Metro)
6. NJ (3rd in Metro)
7. Philly (WC)
8. Tampa (WC)

Here's your playoff seeding applying these rules:

In the first round of the playoffs, the East’s top seed — the division winner with the best record — will face its eighth seed — the wild-card team with the worse record. The other division winner and the top wild card will face off in the 2-7 matchup, and then within each division, the second and third seeds will play.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...d-card-system-article-1.1715666#ixzz2vlVdJDJ6

1. Pitt vs 8. Tampa
2. Boston vs 7 Philly
3. Toronto vs 4 Montreal
5. NY vs 6. NJ

ajdevjet

we got 3
Aug 20, 2013
In your face !

Keep at it boys.

leave it up to the NHL to even butcher the play offs.....Hockey is great but the NHL blows

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
leave it up to the NHL to even butcher the play offs.....Hockey is great but the NHL blows

I was wrong it was Rags 5th and Flyers 6th seed. I'll edit the post. Still very unconventional. It guarantees a 5th or 6th seed will reach the second round no matter what.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Lost in all of this is that the 7th best record in the conference doesn't necessarily play Boston.

It doesn't work that way anymore. I just want to finish third in the Metro, I guess.

If the Devils finish third in the metro, for example, and if the standings finish as follows:

1. Pitt (1st in Metro)
2. Boston (1st in Atlantic)
3. Toronto (2nd in Atlantic)
4. Montreal (3rd in Atlantic)
5. Rags (2nd in Metro)
6. NJ (3rd in Metro)
7. Philly (WC)
8. Tampa (WC)

Here's your playoff seeding applying these rules:

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...d-card-system-article-1.1715666#ixzz2vlVdJDJ6

1. Pitt vs 8. Tampa
2. Boston vs 7 Philly
3. Toronto vs 4 Montreal
5. NY vs 6. NJ

I didn't realize that placement of the wildcard teams had nothing to do with their division. I thought that if 4 teams from the Metro & 4 teams from the Atlantic divisions qualified for the playoffs, they would be grouped together - but this is not the case. I thought teams sliding into a different divisions playoffs would only apply if it was a 5 / 3 split on # of teams making the playoffs per division. Good to know. Hopefully the Devils make it easy and capture 2nd or 3rd in the Metro.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Rangers schedule is easier than our schedule.

I dismiss our schedule being easy even though by all rights it should be, we've lost enough games to bad teams this year where nothing's easy.

That said, how is the Rags' upcoming schedule easy? Five of the next six on the road with the Sharks at home in the middle. Then home against Phoenix/Philly before a West Coast swing (CGY-EDM-VAN-COL), granted three bad teams but those WC swings are never easy for east teams - witness our disaster to start the season. They do finish up with three winnable home games before a quick trip to Montreal, where the Habs may or may not need the game...but if they do the Habs have always been trouble for the Rags.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We are actually closer to the Rags then Columbus or Philly. We are two points behind them, but they have a game in hand. We are 3 behind the Rags at equal games played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad