Devils chances at playoffs - The Final Push - Points and Standings Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

goon5516

Jan 5, 2011
Beat the isles ! Sharks tough game . Then 2 huge games vs Detroit ! Gotta have faith

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
88 points = 9.9%
89 points = 23.3%
90 points = 45.5%
91 points = 68.2%
92 points = 85.6%

LINK

Right now we're at a 33% chance to make it, but divisional games cause that number to swing wildly.

Thread needs to be updated!;)

According to these statistics provided by AfroThunder The Devils will need to win 13 out of there next 19 games to hit the 92 point mark. Pretty tough. Since we have had only one 3 game win streak and have had a lot of win 2 lose one streaks it is still possible. Hopefully we get a win against Detroit on Thursday and get more of those 4 out of 5 game wins.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Thread needs to be updated!;)

According to these statistics provided by AfroThunder The Devils will need to win 13 out of there next 19 games to hit the 92 point mark. Pretty tough. Since we have had only one 3 game win streak and have had a lot of win 2 lose one streaks it is still possible. Hopefully we get a win against Detroit on Thursday and get more of those 4 out of 5 game wins.

13-6-0 gets us 93 which is nearly 2-1 streaks.

If you look at the schedule we play like 13 against weak teams.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
25 points in 19 games would get us in.

10 wins is the minimum, we would need to pick up loser points and get help. 13 wins gets us in outright.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
25 points in 19 games would get us in.

10 wins is the minimum, we would need to pick up loser points and get help. 13 wins gets us in outright.

Next 3 games will be huge.

DET, CAR, and PHI. If we could go 3 - 0 then it makes it SO MUCH easier to get in. We would need to get 16 PTS of the last 16 games.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Next 3 games will be huge.

DET, CAR, and PHI. If we could go 3 - 0 then it makes it SO MUCH easier to get in. We would need to get 16 PTS of the last 16 games.

If we go 3-0 in the next games im pretty sure we would be the hottest team in the NHL after the Olympic break. That would be a great way to start. It is a tall order for the team.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I dont see the Devils making the playoffs.

It's more unlikely than people realize barring a good tear, due to GIH and loser points.

Will watch the remainder of the season and hope for the best, but the reality is the gimmick likely already doomed this team's season.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I dont see the Devils making the playoffs.

It's more unlikely than people realize barring a good tear, due to GIH and loser points.

Will watch the remainder of the season and hope for the best, but the reality is the gimmick likely already doomed this team's season.

Not sure why you say that.

We pretty much just have to be 2 games better than 3 of PHI, NYR, COL, and WAS for the rest of the season. It is pretty much a coin flip at this point.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Look at our splits

Home 15-8-7
Away 12-15-6

We got 11 more home games and 8 away games. That is another thing we have going for us.

So ****ing pissed Kovy left us.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Look at our splits

Home 15-8-7
Away 12-15-6

We got 11 more home games and 8 away games. That is another thing we have going for us.

So ****ing pissed Kovy left us.

If we play on this pace that will give us 88 points to end the year. Probably going to need a bit more than that.

Mory Schneideur*

If we go 3-0 in the next games im pretty sure we would be the hottest team in the NHL after the Olympic break. That would be a great way to start. It is a tall order for the team.

We are so due for a hot streak. I miss those.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
A quick wrap of what the Eastern conference teams in the playoff fight did at the deadline:

Pittsburgh: Acquired Stempiniak and Goc
Better or Worse: Better, although they are pretty much a playoff lock anyway.

Boston: Acquired Meszaros
Better, ditto Pittsburgh.

Montreal: Acquired Vanek, Weaver, Dubnyk
Much better. That Vanek deal was a steal.

Tampa Bay: Swapped St Louis for Callahan
Worse. Although with Stamkos returning soon and Fillipula back into the lineup, I think they should still make the playoffs.

Toronto: Did nothing
Status quo.

Philadelphia: Swapped MacDonald for Meszaros
Wash. Neither better or worse. Their goaltender is still a problem so I think the Devils can catch them.

NY Rangers: Swapped Callahan for St Louis. Acquired Diaz
Much better team. St Louis is a gamer.

Columbus: Swapped Gaborik for Frattin. Acquired Nick Schultz.
I think they are slightly worse even though Gaborik hasn't played much this season. He is always dangerous on the ice and its good that he is no longer in our conference.

Detroit: Acquired Legwand for Eaves.
Great trade for Detroit with Datsyuk and Zetterberg ailing.

Washington: Swapped Erat for Penner. Swapped Halak for Neuvirth.
Improved a lot in my opinion. Erat was useless for Washington and Penner could fit well on the no 1 line next to Ovechkin. Halak was a great deal given Holtby hasn't looked good this season.

New Jersey: Swapped Loktionov for Ruutu.
A wash. I don't think we are neither worse or better. We certainly didn't fix our goalscoring woes. I guess its another vet to play given DeBoer doesn't trust any of our younger players like Josefson and the now departed Loktionov.

Ottawa: Acquired Hemsky
They got better even though I don't rate Hemsky.

Carolina: Swapped Ruuttu for Loktionov
They got better in the longterm. But like NJ, pretty much a wash move now.

Conclusion: Overall not so great for NJ. Most of the teams got better while NJ pretty much stand pat. Columbus is the only team I think we can leap ahead and perhaps Philadelphia if Mason continues to suck. I am fearful that Washington have done enough to move past us with their acquisition.

Prediction:
Boston, Montreal, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, NY Rangers, Washington will be the top 3 in each division. And I think Toronto is a favourite for a wild card spot. Which will leave the Devils to battle out the final spot with Detroit, Columbus, Philadelphia and possibly Ottawa. I think we need Schneider to stand on his head for the rest of the season because Bobrovsky is currently doing that for Columbus. If Detroit can get their stars back, they will be tough to beat. As for Philadelphia, we have to hope that Mason doesn't find his game back soon as they have a much better offense than NJ.

NC107*

A quick wrap of what the Eastern conference teams in the playoff fight did at the deadline:

Worse. Although with Stamkos returning soon and Fillipula back into the lineup, I think they should still make the playoffs.

Status quo.

Wash. Neither better or worse. Their goaltender is still a problem so I think the Devils can catch them.

I think they are slightly worse even though Gaborik hasn't played much this season. He is always dangerous on the ice and its good that he is no longer in our conference.

Improved a lot in my opinion. Erat was useless for Washington and Penner could fit well on the no 1 line next to Ovechkin. Halak was a great deal given Holtby hasn't looked good this season.

A wash. I don't think we are neither worse or better. We certainly didn't fix our goalscoring woes. I guess its another vet to play given DeBoer doesn't trust any of our younger players like Josefson and the now departed Loktionov.

Conclusion: Overall not so great for NJ. Most of the teams got better while NJ pretty much stand pat. Columbus is the only team I think we can leap ahead and perhaps Philadelphia if Mason continues to suck. I am fearful that Washington have done enough to move past us with their acquisition.

Prediction:
Boston, Montreal, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, NY Rangers, Washington will be the top 3 in each division. And I think Toronto is a favourite for a wild card spot. Which will leave the Devils to battle out the final spot with Detroit, Columbus, Philadelphia and possibly Ottawa. I think we need Schneider to stand on his head for the rest of the season because Bobrovsky is currently doing that for Columbus. If Detroit can get their stars back, they will be tough to beat. As for Philadelphia, we have to hope that Mason doesn't find his game back soon as they have a much better offense than NJ.

Outstanding assessment. Devils didn't get better and still have starting goalie issue. I don't expect them to make the playoffs and if they do it will be embarrassing.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Status quo.

Prediction:

Zetterberg is done for the year according to NHL.com and Datsyuk is down for at least 3 weeks, so while a good trade was made they still have issues. Of the teams on the bubble the Leafs improved the most and should stay in a wild card spot.

Mason isn't finding anything in Philly, and I think you overestimate Washington and the Rags. Especially Washington.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Zetterberg is done for the year according to NHL.com and Datsyuk is down for at least 3 weeks, so while a good trade was made they still have issues. Of the teams on the bubble the Leafs improved the most and should stay in a wild card spot.

Mason isn't finding anything in Philly, and I think you overestimate Washington and the Rags. Especially Washington.

Washington sucks. No offense Sidorkiewicz, but the Caps stink. Goaltending sucks (might get better with Halak) defense is suspect, and offense is a joke at 5 on 5. Fatass pancakes really isn't an upgrade, considering he was playing way over his head in Anaheim this year. LA fans were begging for Lombardi to jettison him for the two years prior to him leaving. Practically asking for nothing but future considerations. They'll get in only to give the Rangers a free ticket to the second round again. **** those chokers.

The Rangers SHOULD be better with St Louis, but they probably get shutout tonight if not for the Leafs PP gift wrapping them two goals in a matter of seconds.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Someone brought this up the other day. Said we've lost 15 games to backup goalies. We've actually lost 14 games (regulation and overtime) to backup goalies this year. That's close enough. That's about 40% of our losses this year. We've lost to Ray Emery as many times as we've lost to Lundqvist and Carey Price combined. That's ****ing pathetic and embarrassing. This is the worst goalie in the league we're talking about here, and I don't think he's beaten any other team more than one time this year.

I'm pretty sure at least half of our shutouts have been to backup goalies also. We also came 40 seconds away from getting shutout by Enroth, and Buffalo doesn't even have a shutout at all this year. Not even from Miller! So we have to win these games against these backups. Every team we need to lose seems to run into these same backups and they torch them.

Yeah Stalock is pretty good. No shame in losing to the Sharks backup or even Raanta and the Blackhawks. Ray Emery, Jason LaBarbera (no longer in the league) Montoya, MacElhaney, we gotta beat those guys every opportunity we get.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Washington sucks. No offense Sidorkiewicz, but the Caps stink. Goaltending sucks (might get better with Halak) defense is suspect, and offense is a joke at 5 on 5. Fatass pancakes really isn't an upgrade, considering he was playing way over his head in Anaheim this year. LA fans were begging for Lombardi to jettison him for the two years prior to him leaving. Practically asking for nothing but future considerations. They'll get in only to give the Rangers a free ticket to the second round again. **** those chokers.

The Rangers SHOULD be better with St Louis, but they probably get shutout tonight if not for the Leafs PP gift wrapping them two goals in a matter of seconds.

Rags always seem to "get better" on paper, but lets wait and see if the move actually gels. I don't know their locker room so I don't know if there was any real loyalty to Cally as well that could cause issues too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad