GDT: Devils @ Avalanche - 10 P.M. - TNT/SN1/SNE/SNO/SNP

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
This team is garbage on national tv. Kick them off until they deserve it.

There are certain teams missing their big stars and are rolling to victory.

They got work to do, including the front office. Better hop to it or this will get ugly.

Yes, I'm sure the Pens would look good without Sid + Malkin, the Rags without Zibanejad/Trocheck, the Lightning without Point/Cirelli, the Canes without Aho/Staal, should I go on?

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Did they really though? Like I thought the first was good. Then they didn’t have a brain the rest of the way. They maybe shared enough brain cells to combine to create one brain

3 - 3 in the third. Goalie playing decent.

2 major brainfarts and it's down two goals. One by Tierney and one by Willmanbahl.

Defense was shit but tie game until then

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I mean this was a tie game half way through the 3rd period against a team that was hoisting the cup 16 months ago. I'd say we were pretty competitive.
Stop. I don't care what the score was, they were dogshit outside of the first period. You could easily see that they were going to lose this game in the third if they continued playing the same way, which they did.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I have no issues tempering my expectations with this team. This is year 2 of the window. It's not going to come easy, the team is learning.

With that being said, game #12 at the start of November might be a bit early to draw conclusions. The team has a lot to work on, but they have time.

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
Amazing how people forget that they weren't playing well even with Jack and Nico in the lineup. Check the GA stats and where they rank in the league. They've been getting shit on defensively for the entire season. They were winning one goal games through individual offensive effort.

This team has to prove they can at least be competitive with these injuries, because otherwise what we have on our hands here is a paper tiger that will not be a true contender this season.

There isn't a sane person around that didn't think we wouldn't take a step back defensively because we don't have elite goaltending to overcome our mistakes. I'm just hoping we can outscore people.

Reactions: glenwo2

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
They have to address the system that gives up so many odd man rushes when our best offensive guys are out, meaning we can control offense like we normally do.

Also the Avs are a total paper tiger and joke of a team.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Countless turnovers and odd man rushes against.

Short handed goal against when you just turned the momentum tying the game.

Tierney tossing a pizza up the middle in a tie game in the 3rd.

We have seen this team willing to keep it simple and chip pucks deep and grind. They just don’t seem to be able to do it for more than a period or maybe two at a time. A point at the least was there for the taking tonight.

Reactions: JK3 and glenwo2

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Yes, I'm sure the Pens would look good without Sid + Malkin, the Rags without Zibanejad/Trocheck, the Lightning without Point/Cirelli, the Canes without Aho/Staal, should I go on?
I think maybe you should look up the Penguins record in games without Sid and Malkin.

We don't know what those other teams would look like without their top 2C because I don't think it's ever happened for an extended period. But not all of those teams are even comparable to us from a roster talent standpoint, so this is largely a poor argument you're trying to make.

Reactions: Marv4Life

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I mean it was the Avs who were due for a goal explosion coming home versus us not having our top 2 C's, that being said I do agree that we might have to switch our system and play a bit more defensive in front of the goalies and limit chances against while also being counter attacking at least till 1 out of the 2 centers come back at the worst. Our schedule is pretty easy/dogshit coming up besides the Jets/Rags so hopefully we can bank some wins till Jack/Nico get back.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Stop. I don't care what the score was, they were dogshit outside of the first period. You could easily see that they were going to lose this game in the third if they continued playing the same way, which they did.
Yeah, I'm as positive as they come, but that was a bad game. The offense was fine, but defensively? Holy crap, WAY too man odd man rushes, WAY too many careless plays. All fixable of course, just frustrating.

And oh look, 29.26% xGF% all situations, the advanced stats match the eye test. For reference, our worst xGF% last year was 34.30%.

• Wow
Reactions: Dialamo

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
3 - 3 in the third. Goalie playing decent.

2 major brainfarts and it's down two goals. One by Tierney and one by Willmanbahl.

Defense was shit but tie game until then

Yeah but I don’t think that was due to them “putting up a fight”. The wheels came off heavy once the 2nd started. It just so happened the Avs were also major morons that period. We were in the game by virtue of the Avs play more than our own. Then the Avs decided to stop being morons and ran us over in the 3rd. I mean I’m not going to take anything away from playing the Avs while missing Jack/Nico but we did not put up a good fight.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
There isn't a sane person around that didn't think we wouldn't take a step back defensively because we don't have elite goaltending to overcome our mistakes. I'm just hoping we can outscore people.
A step back? We've gone from top 5 GA to bottom 5. That's not a step back, that's a complete disintegration.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I think maybe you should look up the Penguins record in games without Sid and Malkin.

We don't know what those other teams would look like without their top 2C because I don't think it's ever happened for an extended period. But not all of those teams are even comparable to us from a roster talent standpoint, so this is largely a poor argument you're trying to make.

Well you missed the point because my follow up was that the Devils need to change their system to play more defensive like Sullivan did when those guys were out. The Penguins didn't run and gun with teams and probably would've gotten their heads caved in if they tried. Pens play a system like we did tonight and they'd get caved in without those guys.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

DrBSmooth

May 10, 2006
Bissonette not wrong....we've been bad 5 v 5 all year and Team D needs to improve a ton.

Saying it was one of the worst road perfromances.....maybe a tad too far.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
They have to address the system that gives up so many odd man rushes when our best offensive guys are out, meaning we can control offense like we normally do.

Also the Avs are a total paper tiger and joke of a team.
I’d argue all the systems but the forecheck are bad, we just see it more easily with Hughes out.

He commands a lot of focus from the opponents, he solves a poor breakout through his skill, and he creates in the offensive zone by himself.

Without him around, you can see how the system provides no support and fee options to the players on the breakout. This invites players to try and make individual or high risk plays because no good team play exists.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I have no issues tempering my expectations with this team. This is year 2 of the window. It's not going to come easy, the team is learning.

With that being said, game #12 at the start of November might be a bit early to draw conclusions. The team has a lot to work on, but they have time.

I’ll temper expectations with the stars out but I’m not tempering expectations for this season. On paper this is a Cup contending roster and that’s the standard they should he held to

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
IMG_1892.jpeg

The bottom 6 got their lunch handed to them by a good team. Bednar made sure their top guys got out there against them.

And we need to break up Hughes and Smith.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad