GDT: Devils @ Avalanche - 10 P.M. - TNT/SN1/SNE/SNO/SNP

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Missing your 2 best skaters and playing an uptempo system is on Lindy and the coaching staff. Also, the dmen need to get their heads out of their asses and stop thinking they're prime Orr/Karlsson

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
View attachment 764972
The bottom 6 got their lunch handed to them by a good team. Bednar made sure their top guys got out there against them.

And we need to break up Hughes and Smith.

We need to stop playing Smith. Again I don’t give a f*** how bad anyone thinks Foote is. You’re better off trotting him out and giving it a look over Smith who shits the bed every single game.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Well you missed the point because my follow up was that the Devils need to change their system to play more defensive like Sullivan did when those guys were out. The Penguins didn't run and gun with teams and probably would've gotten their heads caved in if they tried. Pens play a system like we did tonight and they'd get caved in without those guys.
Jack Han actually pointed out on Twitter how the Penguins recently adjusted their system to account for not having the players to execute their original system idea.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I’ll temper expectations with the stars out but I’m not tempering expectations for this season. On paper this is a Cup contending roster and that’s the standard they should he held to
I agree with you that on paper it is a lineup that's good enough for a run, but you can't argue with the product on the ice right now. The team is not clicking right now.

It's very early though, and what we have now is most likely not what we'll be getting in March/April. It's a process.

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
I’ll temper expectations with the stars out but I’m not tempering expectations for this season. On paper this is a Cup contending roster and that’s the standard they should he held to

Close to a Cup contending roster. I think we need an upgrade in goal. Yeah yeah, teams win with average goaltending, but their systems aren't as open and they are more physical.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
To me a bad game in November on the road missing your top two centers tells me nothing about what this team will be playing like come March

I'm fairly certain this game will be forgotten by then
every game has its takeaways!

this one i think showed a lack of confidence 5v5; lots of quick, unprovoked giveaways and too many odd-man rushes

but!.. i think this game also showed we can skate with teams even without the big-2; they just gotta focus and tighten up the defense!

DrBSmooth

May 10, 2006
We haven’t been bad 5v5 all year.
Still early enough, but we played really well even strength last year.

Powerplay is better this year, but got to expect that will trend downward....it can't stay this hot.

and the PK feels worse.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
We need to stop playing Smith.
1699424045494.png
giphy (2).gif

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Well you missed the point because my follow up was that the Devils need to change their system to play more defensive like Sullivan did when those guys were out. The Penguins didn't run and gun with teams and probably would've gotten their heads caved in if they tried. Pens play a system like we did tonight and they'd get caved in without those guys.
I disagree with this, because it's been ugly even with them in the lineup. They have not played like a cup contending roster should all year, and I suspect that these injuries are going to expose what a lot of have suspected which is that it's a system/coaching issue.

The system sucks, the fact that a couple of star players have been able to mask it with individual talent is proof that they were winning in spite of it and not because of it.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
If this team is playing up to their potential there’s no reason they couldn’t win with this goaltending as long as Vitek stops being a playoff headcase
Problem is they're not. It's still so early, but damn it's frustrating.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
3 - 3 in the third. Goalie playing decent.

2 major brainfarts and it's down two goals. One by Tierney and one by Willmanbahl.

Defense was shit but tie game until then
They weren’t good in the second period either. It was tied because they were gifted a 7 minute PP that included 1:30 on 5 on 3 time. Even then they only walked away with the game tied.

Reactions: Hisch13r

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Palat has 4 assists in like 12 games and no goals still. Him and Mercer aren't cutting it.

This game would be much different with Hughes and Hischier but I wanna see a better game from the team even with out them. Everytime Crosby or Malkin are hurt the Penguins always hold the fort down and play well. This team is very pedestrian without Hughes and Hischier.

Reactions: DrBSmooth

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Palat has 4 assists in like 12 games and no goals still. Him and Mercer aren't cutting it.

This game would be much different with Hughes and Hischier but I wanna see a better game from the team even with out them. Everytime Crosby or Malkin are hurt the Penguins always hold the fort down and play well. This team is very pedestrian without Hughes and Hischier.

I’m tired of being gaslit by some about Palat. The guy is absolutely f***ing awful

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Did I get out the tape to measure the distance of the step back? No. So my point stands.
Well it's a terrible point. No one expected (or should have expected) them to go from a top defense to a bottom of the barrel one because of changes to the #4 and #5 d-men.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Team is facing some serious adversity early in the season. I am hopeful this team will come out of this stretch a more galvanized group and hit their stride.

Reactions: Dylan9z9

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Their top forwards all played 24-25 minutes tonight. With the schedule letting up a bit here, it may be what we need to do until Nico and Jack are back.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I thought Palat was going to come out of the gate strong. I was wrong. It’s tough watching him turning over the puck making cute plays at the blueline when you know he’s capable of being a bull out there.

Even as the “#1 hater” I didn’t think he’d suck this much in years 1 and 2

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Probably the worst 5v5 effort this year, it has been pretty decent lately but even in the games they have been good possesion wise 5v5 they haven't been able to capitalize. If they want to run the bottom six like a traditional bottom six and be more conservative there with Nico/Jack out reunite Palat and Haula and move Holtz to one of the scoring lines and see if that can work. Hughes and Hischier out are one thing but that's not a reason to be struggling this much to score even strength (was a problem when they were in the lineup too).

Bratt-Mercer-Toffoli
Meier-Mcleod-Holtz
Palat-Haula-Lazar
Willman-Tierney-Bastian

Luke looks much better away from Smith than he does with so that needs to change whether it be with Marino or Hamilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad