Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Just an FYI, I was looking at the nhl website and laughing at how expensive hoodies have gotten (almost $100 for a lot of the new stuff) and they had a green St Pattys day Hischier hoodie on super clearance for $12.

just a heads up in case anyone was interested.

Thanks bud, just bought one. My wardrobe needed some green amongst all my black turtle necks and gray Dockers.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
The bit about Elias - LOVE it:

Another tidbit I missed that might be interesting, Amanda referring to Holtz as Alex, I remember Matt Loughlin mentioning how Holtz seem to prefer the shorter version of his name as opposed to to his full name - or something like that. But the fact she did it I wonder if that's what he'll go by this year - Alex Holtz.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ

Jesus

I’m going to go back to thinking it’s Blackwood. Especially with the language of it “changing the Devils season”

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
'We hope to get it rectified': How the Devils are handling their unvaccinated player

The Athletic just published an article on the unvaccinated player. They won't reveal who it is, but do say that it is a "prominent player on the New Jersey roster, not someone who is a prospect, likely ticketed for Utica in the American Hockey League or on a player-tryout contract". It's not Subban, Bernier, Hamilton, Wood, or Zacha. The player was able to participate in media day without a mask because social distance was able to be observed, but he will likely have to wear a mask for future media scrums (which will likely out him unless the whole team starts doing it or something).

The first time this would definitively become a problem for us is Dec. 3rd in Winnipeg. Unvaccinated players cannot cross the border into Canada and thus would be unable to participate in all games played across the border. The player will also forfeit all pay for that period. He would need to get vaccinated within two weeks of the trip to avoid this.

The Devils say that this player was planning to get vaccinated before camp but changed his mind. They are still trying to convince him to course correct.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
So the unvaccinated person is a prominent player
Yeah and it being Wood, Kuokkanen, Johnsson, or someone like that doesn’t “change the Devils season” as Corey put it. Sharangovich just flew from Russia to Belarus to the Caribbean to NJ so I’m guessing he’s vaccinated

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
There was a ton of smoke around Mack, so I've no reason to believe at this point that it's not him. Sigh.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
This is not good:

New Jersey management and coaches had expected the player to receive the vaccine just before training camp started, but he changed his mind according to multiple team sources.

When they know they really have no choice and still won't do it, in fact them changing their mind makes me real nervous that they're bunkering down on this decision.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I don’t know why anyone thought it was a PTO guy. They would just cut the player revoke the PTO and be done. It was always going to be a prominent player.

My guess is Blackwood. The only other player who could be game changing like that is Hughes, but he has been doing the face to face media tours.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Wonder if Fitz is goalie hunting or if he's comfortable with Bernier/Wedgewood on the Canada trips

He will really have no choice but to be comfortable with those two. It's not like there is anything else out there for him to get now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad