Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Especially when it comes to a player a team is still trying to peddle. Unless it's Buffalo and their dumpster fire with Eichel.

It sounds like Tarasenko wasn't coming 'cheap' by any means so it's hardly worth lamenting, we would have had to pay full price and HOPE he bounces back to be worth it. Everyone assumed he could be had for cheap but there's a reason he wasn't moved this offseason - the Blues weren't selling for cheap. And not that I'm a huge Tatar fan but they probably don't bother signing him if they traded for Tarasenko.

I assumed he would cost the full contract and Fitz, from all reports, committed it. That would have worked okay if he was unable to go/LTIR and the money is available for replacements. Apparently the hangup was the Blues wanted a player or high pick back along with eating the salary or at least a large portion of it.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I guess it doesn't matter at this point who isn't vaccinated since all the guys we were scared of it being have been on the ice lol.

Unvaccinated players can still play. There’s no reason it couldn’t have been someone who was on the ice.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Just an FYI, I was looking at the nhl website and laughing at how expensive hoodies have gotten (almost $100 for a lot of the new stuff) and they had a green St Pattys day Hischier hoodie on super clearance for $12.

just a heads up in case anyone was interested.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Especially when it comes to a player a team is still trying to peddle. Unless it's Buffalo and their dumpster fire with Eichel.

It sounds like Tarasenko wasn't coming 'cheap' by any means so it's hardly worth lamenting, we would have had to pay full price and HOPE he bounces back to be worth it. Everyone assumed he could be had for cheap but there's a reason he wasn't moved this offseason - the Blues weren't selling for cheap. And not that I'm a huge Tatar fan but they probably don't bother signing him if they traded for Tarasenko.

Exactly.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
The difference is, playmaker vs sniper. All Ovechkin needs is someone to get him the puck and that's it. Jack has a bad shot, that's no secret, but he is a master at getting the puck to a player who nobody expects, including that player, at anytime. I understand it was a different league, but it's why him and Cole were so good together, Cole was ready and expected the puck at all times and was good enough to finish it.

Ya, the reason why Caufield was so good with him isn't because he was a sniper. It's because he was very good at getting open and anticipating the plays Jack will make and was always ready for it. Of course having a good shot is important too. People seem to think we can just slot any sniper in and it will work.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Just an FYI, I was looking at the nhl website and laughing at how expensive hoodies have gotten (almost $100 for a lot of the new stuff) and they had a green St Pattys day Hischier hoodie on super clearance for $12.

just a heads up in case anyone was interested.

i just looked…man what a pile of overpriced shit. there some cool items too, but way too expensive

Reactions: Ripshot 43

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I also don't even like Johnsson at all, but I feel like some of the takes about him are kind of ridiculous

Agreed. A season ago he was viewed as a competent middle-six piece, coming off a couple of campaigns as a viable 3rd wheel to a scoring line.

Obviously, he had a tough year last season, but that partly was due to extremely bad finishing luck. The playdriving outputs were still there. He's locked in on the team regardless, so Devils brass may as well see what value they can extract from him. They can turn him into a pump-and-dump at the TDL or decide if he's worth keeping around as a depth option.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Agreed. A season ago he was viewed as a competent middle-six piece, coming off a couple of campaigns as a viable 3rd wheel to a scoring line.

Obviously, he had a tough year last season, but that partly was due to extremely bad finishing luck. The playdriving outputs were still there. He's locked in on the team regardless, so Devils brass may as well see what value they can extract from him. They can turn him into a pump-and-dump at the TDL or decide if he's worth keeping around as a depth option.

The guy also had Covid and he said it affected him for a while. He deserves a longer rope than many want to see him get

Reactions: Auto Pilot

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He needs highly skilled forwards

Man I really have a problem with this.

Here is the problem I have with this notion - Forget Jack for a moment because this argument has been used for a lot of underperforming/missed expectations players in the past, that is "He needs highly skilled partners"

Any player that "needs" Elite linemates to be good is not an elite player. Elite players perform at a high level regardless - One of Ovechkin's best season was with Zubrus as his center...You know what I mean? Sure Backstrom helped but Ovechkin was going to score regardless of who his pivot was...That is what elite means.

Of Course better partners will help maximize their production, but the range of 55 points to 90 points is two different levels of player. That is beyond maximizing natural talent that is being lifted.

On top of that, I have another philosophical problem with this notion...A highly skilled play making center should make average wingers much better...Any center can be good with elite wingers, we have seen examples of this over and over...Henrique his rookie year and the aforementioned Zubrus, I would even say Nico in his rookie year. But we've also seen centers like Scott Gomez make everyone around him better.

It just seems one giant excuse for lack of success whenever I hear or read He needs highly skilled forwards
Gomez played with some fantastic wingers who made him better too.

Mercer isn’t an elite top six winger now, so I don’t see anyone arguing that Hughes needing potentially offensive productive wingers is demanding “elite wingers”.

Jack for sure makes guys better but, for example, Koukkanen likely has somewhat limited offensive ceiling. He didn’t shoot the puck nearly enough or well enough last season to really be a guy you want on a top line. Maybe he can do better this season with that but you can’t get blood from a stone, if the goals aren’t there then no centerman is getting them from him.

I don’t care that much about imaginary future lines, it depends on who’s plays well and plays well together. They usually pretty fluid. I think people underestimate the value of centers, and 3Cs, but I don’t know what the team plans for Mercer even in the short term so debating his future is a bit silly. I can just wait and see.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'll say it again even though some have taken umbrage with the idea...I don't think Jack is a very intelligent player. Supremely skilled but a bit dopey with the puck...He has the ability to do things other can't but honestly I don't think he has smarts to utilize those talents. That is what I am seeing and what I believe. He'll eventually learn and get better but I don't think truly elite is the cards with the way he processes the game. Just being 100% honest.
You used to think Hughes had no hockey sense, so saying “a very intelligent player” is a big step for you.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
So what are the A's going to be? I assume it'll be a rotating group of at least Severson, PK and probably Jack as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad