Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Boucher, Kovalchuk, Palmieri
#17 is certainly backed up by SH/GP stats. Although I often think of him as ragging first while frequently ripping it. He an Palms both benefit in Shots by being that shooting target on PP1.

MacLean just had that "shoot from anywhere" mentality to me.

Based on SH/GP alone, though, MacLean comes in sixth behind Kovalchuk, Hall, Parise, Lemieux, and Richer

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
hey gang how bout Ruff’s first stab at a roster

shara - hughes - tatar
Johnsson - Hischier - Bratt
Wood - Zacha - Kuokkanen
Vesey - Mcleod - Thompson

Graves - Hamilton
Smith - Severson
Siegenthaler - Subban

Pulled from the lines in the three different practice groups so far. I feel like someone obvious is missing but my brain is fried and i’m still at work.
Not exactly what I’d like to see but it’s close . I’ll have to text Ruff and let him know he must have misread my take on what the lineup should be . Maybe he just made a tweek to throw off our divisional rivals so,they can’t pre-scout us properly….
Shara - Hughes - Tatar
Zacha - Nico - Bratt
Wood - Mercer - Koukkanen
Johnsson - McLeod - Clarke

D is perfect except
Okhotiuk - Subban

Reactions: My3Sons

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
Maybe, just maybe, we shouldn't make a huge deal about the lines in the first 30 minutes of training camp...?

Just a recommendation....
Training camp or not Johnsson has absolutely NO reason being anywhere the top line when he is the worst player on the team. Even if the entire top line got injured at once, Johnsson still shouldn't be in our top 6. Even though it's training camp it's just an absolute waste of everyone's time. It's the equivalent of a try out player like Vesey on Hughes wing. It just shouldn't even be a thought. Johnsson shouldn't even be on this team he serves us no purpose. I would rather bring in a rookie like Foote & play him over Johnsson. Johnsson only had 1 good season & it's because he rode the coattails of Matthews & Nylander. Of course your gonna produce with them (he didn't even produce that much) But outside of that 1 time he has shown 0. The fact is we finally found chemistry in the lines & now Ruff is changing everything around for no reason. Zacha has a career year & now he's demoted to 3rd line center. We will never win if we don't let players build chemistry. We finally found a groove last season & it worked so why change it? I feel like the only reason we're even attempting to play Johnsson on the top line is because he gets paid alot & there hoping for a bounce back season that never even existed in the 1st place. The only time someone new should play on the top line is if they straight up outplay someone else. There's no excuse for trying to force production out of players just cause they take up some salary. That's how you continue to be a losing franchise.

Reactions: LeedsMonster

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Training camp or not Johnsson has absolutely NO reason being anywhere the top line when he is the worst player on the team. Even if the entire top line got injured at once, Johnsson still shouldn't be in our top 6. Even though it's training camp it's just an absolute waste of everyone's time. It's the equivalent of a try out player like Vesey on Hughes wing. It just shouldn't even be a thought. Johnsson shouldn't even be on this team he serves us no purpose. I would rather bring in a rookie like Foote & play him over Johnsson. Johnsson only had 1 good season & it's because he rode the coattails of Matthews & Nylander. Of course your gonna produce with them (he didn't even produce that much) But outside of that 1 time he has shown 0. The fact is we finally found chemistry in the lines & now Ruff is changing everything around for no reason. Zacha has a career year & now he's demoted to 3rd line center. We will never win if we don't let players build chemistry. We finally found a groove last season & it worked so why change it? I feel like the only reason we're even attempting to play Johnsson on the top line is because he gets paid alot & there hoping for a bounce back season that never even existed in the 1st place. The only time someone new should play on the top line is if they straight up outplay someone else. There's no excuse for trying to force production out of players just cause they take up some salary. That's how you continue to be a losing franchise.

It's the first day of training camp, no need to overreact to anything.

Reactions: My3Sons

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
AHHHHHHHHHHH

LargeOldfashionedGraywolf-size_restricted.gif

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Maybe, just maybe, we shouldn't make a huge deal about the lines in the first 30 minutes of training camp...?

Just a recommendation....
While fair, lets not kid ourselves that those wont be the likely lines for preseason

Plus my biggest issue is why does Johnsson deserve even 30 minutes of time next to Nico and Bratt? What has he done to deserve that?

my only major issue there. Pavel's biggest obstacle to last year was confidence; I cant imagine its good for him to be dropped to a line away from his best friends on the team after his career year, even for 30 minutes

Just seems like Ruff is trying things out when that top line should have never been touched

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
hey gang how bout Ruff’s first stab at a roster

Sharky - hughes - tatar
Johnsson - Hischier - Bratt
Wood - Zacha - Kuokkanen
Vesey - Mcleod - Thompson

Graves - Hamilton
Smith - Severson
Siegenthaler - Subban

Pulled from the lines in the three different practice groups so far. I feel like someone obvious is missing but my brain is fried and i’m still at work.

Corrected for accurateness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad