Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
hey gang how bout Ruff’s first stab at a roster

shara - hughes - tatar
Johnsson - Hischier - Bratt
Wood - Zacha - Kuokkanen
Vesey - Mcleod - Thompson

Graves - Hamilton
Smith - Severson
Siegenthaler - Subban

Pulled from the lines in the three different practice groups so far. I feel like someone obvious is missing but my brain is fried and i’m still at work.

i like it, but that second line would get smacked around

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Training camp or not Johnsson has absolutely NO reason being anywhere the top line when he is the worst player on the team. Even if the entire top line got injured at once, Johnsson still shouldn't be in our top 6. Even though it's training camp it's just an absolute waste of everyone's time. It's the equivalent of a try out player like Vesey on Hughes wing. It just shouldn't even be a thought. Johnsson shouldn't even be on this team he serves us no purpose. I would rather bring in a rookie like Foote & play him over Johnsson. Johnsson only had 1 good season & it's because he rode the coattails of Matthews & Nylander. Of course your gonna produce with them (he didn't even produce that much) But outside of that 1 time he has shown 0. The fact is we finally found chemistry in the lines & now Ruff is changing everything around for no reason. Zacha has a career year & now he's demoted to 3rd line center. We will never win if we don't let players build chemistry. We finally found a groove last season & it worked so why change it? I feel like the only reason we're even attempting to play Johnsson on the top line is because he gets paid alot & there hoping for a bounce back season that never even existed in the 1st place. The only time someone new should play on the top line is if they straight up outplay someone else. There's no excuse for trying to force production out of players just cause they take up some salary. That's how you continue to be a losing franchise.

The Devils didn't find a groove last season - they got a few bounces with the Zacha-Hischier-Bratt line. It remains to be seen whether or not that line was really any good. They didn't do anything so special that it makes me think they found some amazing chemistry, people on here just like it because they seem to be friends off the ice, and all 3 guys have been part of the organization for 4+ years but hadn't really played together before.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
All reports from St. Louis are that he is looking good and the shoulder is no problem. Looks like taking a chance on that shoulder would have been well worth the gamble. I know I pushed for it and so did some others. Hindsight, huh? :nod:

Let's see how he plays in the beginning of the season before making this judgement.

There is almost never any negative news during training camp. No beat reporter or team employee is going to come out and say "Player X looks horrible out there" ... Similar to all of Amanda Stein's posts today, all reports are usually positive things during training camp.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
The Devils didn't find a groove last season - they got a few bounces with the Zacha-Hischier-Bratt line. It remains to be seen whether or not that line was really any good. They didn't do anything so special that it makes me think they found some amazing chemistry, people on here just like it because they seem to be friends off the ice, and all 3 guys have been part of the organization for 4+ years but hadn't really played together before.

That line dominated essentially every shift when they were on the ice together.

Reactions: McDuffz88

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Let's see how he plays in the beginning of the season before making this judgement.

There is almost never any negative news during training camp. No beat reporter or team employee is going to come out and say "Player X looks horrible out there" ... Similar to all of Amanda Stein's posts today, all reports are usually positive things during training camp.

Right now I'm taking O'Reilly's word for it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It was reported like a week ago the active roster was 100% so probably some nobody or a PTO. Fitz said it’d be obvious but it certainly hasn’t been

Obvious to the media perhaps, but word certainly hasn't gotten out to the public and it's probably a good thing judging by the reactions here to the ones the internet sleuths assumed it 'could' be. It's not even worth trying to figure out definitively assuming the Athletic report was correct that it's not a member of the active roster.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
All reports from St. Louis are that he is looking good and the shoulder is no problem. Looks like taking a chance on that shoulder would have been well worth the gamble. I know I pushed for it and so did some others. Hindsight, huh? :nod:
Sigh....

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
I may have overlooked it here, but it looks like Mac has a new mask?

E_0EzX3VUAgXtys

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Especially when it comes to a player a team is still trying to peddle. Unless it's Buffalo and their dumpster fire with Eichel.

It sounds like Tarasenko wasn't coming 'cheap' by any means so it's hardly worth lamenting, we would have had to pay full price and HOPE he bounces back to be worth it. Everyone assumed he could be had for cheap but there's a reason he wasn't moved this offseason - the Blues weren't selling for cheap. And not that I'm a huge Tatar fan but they probably don't bother signing him if they traded for Tarasenko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad