Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I think having Jack Hughes will really change the dynamic of the Devils for a very long time. He is the kind of player that is similar to Crosby in that you can put two 3rd line caliber wingers alongside him and call it first line. Then you can put two actual 1st line quality wingers on your 2nd line with Hischier or Mercer centering them, and it trickles all the way down the rest of the forward lines. Could truly be something special.

Reactions: Devils Army

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I think having Jack Hughes will really change the dynamic of the Devils for a very long time. He is the kind of player that is similar to Crosby in that you can put two 3rd line caliber wingers alongside him and call it first line. Then you can put two actual 1st line quality wingers on your 2nd line with Hischier or Mercer centering them, and it trickles all the way down the rest of the forward lines. Could truly be something special.
Yes but for now until Jack hits his peak and while he is developing I’d like to have a true elite finisher in his wing so he can gain confidence and know how to play and find players when they get open and see how to open ice for players that are experienced in how to set up in the offensive zone.

Reactions: Bet the Over

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
Yes but for now until Jack hits his peak and while he is developing I’d like to have a true elite finisher in his wing so he can gain confidence and know how to play and find players when they get open and see how to open ice for players that are experienced in how to set up in the offensive zone.
Really disappointed in how pairing him with Palmieri worked out. Thought Palmieri would have a career year with Jack as his C

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Really disappointed in how pairing him with Palmieri worked out. Thought Palmieri would have a career year with Jack as his C
I did too but Palms was brutal regardless of who his C was. He could not score and was slumping very badly. Like it’s been said Palms is more of a skate in a straight line and wait for the puck than a creative player that finds a way to snipe off the rush or finds soft places in the ice easier.

Reactions: LeedsMonster

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

If Smith is a little harder to push around on the boards, he should see a marked increase in effectiveness.

To my eyes it’s mire about net front coverage with Smith than anything where he is moving. Watching him defend close to the goal he has yet to be strong enough to engage anyone physically. Fingers crossed he can improve on those skills (including board work)

Reactions: Guadana

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I feel that if D pairs are what we think / hope are , Smith will be put in a very good spot to develop his game even more.
2nd pairing with Severson to me would be an ideal spot for him.
He’s not facing the top opposition but still will get plenty of ice time and maybe not as sheltered as he was last year. I don’t think he is ready for heavy minutes in a shut down role but it would be nice to see how he does with a little more defensive zone starts and responsibility defensively.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
it was a hint - his posts on twitter are of political/vaccine talk, and we went down this path yesterday and the whole thread went off the rails

your Q in and of itself is fine though

Well to be precise, no vaccine arguments except in the COVID thread and no political talk period.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
hey gang how bout Ruff’s first stab at a roster

shara - hughes - tatar
Johnsson - Hischier - Bratt
Wood - Zacha - Kuokkanen
Vesey - Mcleod - Thompson

Graves - Hamilton
Smith - Severson
Siegenthaler - Subban

Pulled from the lines in the three different practice groups so far. I feel like someone obvious is missing but my brain is fried and i’m still at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad