Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The Devils only play 9 games in Canada. It wouldn't be a huge deal if Blackwood missed those games. It would suck, for sure, especially if Bernier did get hurt and then it's Wedgewood/? up there, but yeah. I would not want to be vaccinated during the season, so it really sucks that whoever didn't get it didn't at least get the first dose before coming to the US (I believe Fitz implied it's a non-American player).

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Reactions: Darkauron

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Another tidbit I missed that might be interesting, Amanda referring to Holtz as Alex, I remember Matt Loughlin mentioning how Holtz seem to prefer the shorter version of his name as opposed to to his full name - or something like that. But the fact she did it I wonder if that's what he'll go by this year - Alex Holtz.

5o6c3t.jpg

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
hey gang how bout Ruff’s first stab at a roster

shara - hughes - tatar
Johnsson - Hischier - Bratt
Wood - Zacha - Kuokkanen
Vesey - Mcleod - Thompson

Graves - Hamilton
Smith - Severson
Siegenthaler - Subban

Pulled from the lines in the three different practice groups so far. I feel like someone obvious is missing but my brain is fried and i’m still at work.
I hate this. 1) It’s putting a worse winger on the top six and sticking Zacha back in 3C purgatory because Fitz didn’t address the position in the off-season. 2) I can’t f***ing believe anyone thinks putting Wood and Zacha together is remotely a good idea. The low point of those two might be Simmonds-Zacha-Wood. That line only played together ~100 minutes, but it’s ghost still haunts the arena in our end, ineffectually buried in a pile of spectral Shots Against.

I don’t know why Ruff is going with having him confuse his poor brain with defensive responsibilities that he will mostly fail at, instead of trying to get 60 points out of him on the wing. And Johnsson will most likely do better this season but he’s not bouncing back enough to be anywhere near the top six.

It’s not Pavel’s fault you didn’t get a 3C Fitz, don’t make him a victim here. (And me, if the plan is to have my eyes bleed as he plays center, often skating randomly around, while Wood is on his wing, often skating randomly around in different places.)

It’s as early as can be, the first day of camp, so it’s not exactly written in stone. That’s what I’ll tell myself as I sob quietly into my pillow all night. I’m kidding. (Sort of.)

Reactions: Guadana

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
If it’s someone who has already had Covid then they may feel like they shouldn’t need any additional protection, similar to some other countries feel.

Like some Devils, I won’t look down on someone for making a personal choice; even if I made a different one.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
He will really have no choice but to be comfortable with those two. It's not like there is anything else out there for him to get now.

It's also just not even bad. There's 2 Canadian trips where we play more than one game. One is Montreal at 1PM then a day off then Toronto at 7. The other is the western Canadian trip in March so plenty of time to hopefully change his idiot mind. That trip has back to back games in Vancouver, Calgary, then 2 days off until Edmonton. So really it's only 1 game that Wedgewood or anyone else might play if Bernier is healthy.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The Devils only play 9 games in Canada. It wouldn't be a huge deal if Blackwood missed those games. It would suck, for sure, especially if Bernier did get hurt and then it's Wedgewood/? up there, but yeah. I would not want to be vaccinated during the season, so it really sucks that whoever didn't get it didn't at least get the first dose before coming to the US (I believe Fitz implied it's a non-American player).
Hypothetically they make playoffs and it's a huge issue

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Someone check on @Guttersniped.
At this point, I feel like if I end up in Hell, I’m going to be writing why Pavel Zacha shouldn’t be a 3C for all eternity. And it will be extremely muggy the whole time.

I just want two functional NHL goalies and Zacha on the top six wing. I ask the universe for so little and the goal seemed so in reach.

There’s always a potential kicker in play: he could have a really good season at 3C. I’m always open to life’s little surprises and that would both a happy one and a hilarious one. (Good luck, but never say never.)

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I hate this. 1) It’s putting a worse winger on the top six and sticking Zacha back in 3C purgatory because Fitz didn’t address the position in the off-season. 2) I can’t f***ing believe anyone thinks putting Wood and Zacha together is remotely a good idea. The low point of those two might be Simmonds-Zacha-Wood. That line only played together ~100 minutes, but it’s ghost still haunts the arena in our end, ineffectually buried in a pile of spectral Shots Against.

I don’t know why Ruff is going with having him confuse his poor brain with defensive responsibilities that he will mostly fail at, instead of trying to get 60 points out of him on the wing. And Johnsson will most likely do better this season but he’s not bouncing back enough to be anywhere near the top six.

It’s not Pavel’s fault you didn’t get a 3C Fitz, don’t make him a victim here. (And me, if the plan is to have my eyes bleed as he plays center, often skating randomly around, while Wood is on his wing, often skating randomly around in different places.)

It’s as early as can be, the first day of camp, so it’s not exactly written in stone. That’s what I’ll tell myself as I sob quietly into my pillow all night. I’m kidding. (Sort of.)

I highly highly doubt that's a line they're expecting to go with in the season. I don't see them splitting up McLeod and Wood. Probably just something they're trying out in camp

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Jesus

I’m going to go back to thinking it’s Blackwood. Especially with the language of it “changing the Devils season”

I don’t know why this organization won’t say who, I think every other team’s player is known.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad