Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation) - Part III [MOD warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
They definitely get MSG and MSG+. Not sure about MSG+2.
By my recollection, they've gotten the overflow broadcasts for as long as I've been with them.

And MSG+2 is presently in their guide despite not having anything scheduled in the near future.

Another nice thing, compared to whether your prior service had this ability our not, is the ability to schedule by team. So if you set the Devils as a recording target, you'll get their games automatically scheduled whatever channel they're on.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It's a great example because it just goes to show how much points are a phantasm. Here, Zajac scored at a top line rate. He then went over to the Island and scored at a sub 4th line rate. He didn't have any magical chemistry with his linemates here - pucks just went in a lot. A couple fluke bounces here and there add up, especially on secondary assists.

My point here is that the supposed chemistry between Zacha, Nico, and Bratt is overstated, and that while putting them back together can certainly make sense, there's no reason why that line should be prioritized above all others. The Devils should be looking to find the optimal combinations and there's nothing that shows that that one is.

I'm not sure I agree with you. Zacha/Bratt/Hischier together have a 58.33 GF pct. an expected goals for of 6.15 with an expected goals against of 5.8 an expected goals for pct. of 51.47 pct and their high danger chances for were 28 to 24 against. That's last season when Hischier was broken for all intents and purposes. Some of their numbers were sub 50% (Corsi and Fenwick) but I think they are balanced by the goal scoring numbers. My guess is that if they play together this season they would be better. My eye test suggests to me they have something extra when they play together (mostly because I think that Nico and Bratt give Zacha a simple role that he can do - get in position and shoot first) but it's my opinion and you may see it differently.

Reactions: Guttersniped

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Man are you're all hopped up on Seinfeld of late.

george-costanza-was-that-wrong.gif

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It's not thin skinned, it's typical Twitter banter, it's supposed to make you laugh. If you read the comments to the Devils tweet a lot of fans love the approach

Exactly. They were clearly joking around. It’s such a small thing to get work up over.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I'm not sure I agree with you. Zacha/Bratt/Hischier together have a 58.33 GF pct. an expected goals for of 6.15 with an expected goals against of 5.8 an expected goals for pct. of 51.47 pct and their high danger chances for were 28 to 24 against. That's last season when Hischier was broken for all intents and purposes. Some of their numbers were sub 50% (Corsi and Fenwick) but I think they are balanced by the goal scoring numbers. My guess is that if they play together this season they would be better. My eye test suggests to me they have something extra when they play together (mostly because I think that Nico and Bratt give Zacha a simple role that he can do - get in position and shoot first) but it's my opinion and you may see it differently.

That GF% number is also juiced by them getting .932 goaltending on a team had .911 goaltending.

To me putting that line back together depends entirely on how the rest of the lineup shakes out. I don’t think they’re so goo that no matter what they stay together. For me to put them back it’d mean only Mercer makes the team and he’s the 3C. If it’s just Mercer but he isn’t an NHL center yet and Zacha has actually managed to breakthrough in the middle then you keep him as the 3C. If both Holtz and Mercer make it then my top 6 wings are Holtz, Tatar, Sharangovich, and Bratt with Mercer and Zacha as the 3rd line C/wings

Reactions: My3Sons

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If Vesey has another good performance tonight I could definitely see him making the team as the extra forward/PK option on the fourth line.

Jankowski seems like he’s going to play well enough to make the team. Only issue is with Hischier - Hughes - Zacha - McLeod down the middle and Mercer arguably playing his way onto the roster this far, I don’t see where he fits. Considering that Ruff has noted he likes to carry 13F and 8D, makes it a bit tougher for him as well.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Look at you dropping the legal research and looking up fancy stats like the rest of these young whipper-snappers lol

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Calm down on all the capitals and exclamation points man it’s way to late at night to be that jacked up about this.

First somebody will be hurt likely within the first couple games and then they’ll get in and teams usually rotate guys in anyways. They’re not gonna sit in the press box very much.
Second, Boqvist has played 4-5 pro seasons and turns 23 this month.

Not sure where I said they’re too good for the AHL I just think in Boqvist case it’s better for his development to stay up and he brings more value than any of the other young guys or guys on PTO’s.
I’d be perfectly happy if they sent Foote down and signed Vesey but I’d be happy if they kept Foote too even if he starts as the 13th or 14th forward.
Both Boqvist and Foote are waiver exempt, there is zero reason for either of them not to be Utica if they aren’t in the line-up. I don’t know what you think is bad about depth vet forwards, particularly ones who PK, and at least one of these PTO forwards is very likely sticking. I would shocked if none of them did (specifically Vesey and/or Jankowski obviously),

Reactions: Nubmer6

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What’s a Chase De Leo? He’s the only guy I’ve never even heard mentioned

Omar Little

Omar comin yo
Jun 12, 2006
Massachusetts
Both Boqvist and Foote are waiver exempt, there is zero reason for either of them not to be Utica if they aren’t in the line-up. I don’t know what you think is bad about depth vet forwards, particularly ones who PK, and at least one of these PTO forwards is very likely sticking. I would shocked if none of them did (specifically Vesey and/or Jankowski obviously),

Boqvist should be in the minors and he should figure out his offensive game playing with players like Foote, Clarke, and some of the veteran AHL signings

Reactions: Darkauron

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Small sample sizes and all of that, but they weren't shooting that much above their average. Bratt-Nico-Zacha should be a good line and should be at least slightly beating the opposition in high danger chances. If you asked me how that line would do before it was put together, I'd say basically what they did, which to me doesn't suggest any sort of great chemistry. Again, as another poster said, if it makes sense on opening night to keep that line together, then sure, but other lines should not be made worse for that line to stay together.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad