Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation) - Part III [MOD warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Thinking about all the compassion required to deliberately increase the risk my teammates, arena staff, and fans have of catching a horrible disease.

If anything you'd think the guy who struggled breathing because of it would be the one who is being compassionate and getting the vaccine to try and help prevent anyone else from having to go through what he did

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
So I am probably one of the few folks that want to pump the brakes on the Holtz/Mercer making the team out of camp this year. It's only been one game.

I would prefer Tatar and Rango with Hughes and the Bratt-Nico-Zacha lines start the season together. I know they are playing Pavel at center, but I think it's a mistake when he had his breakout season on wing, he needs to stay on the wing.

Alex Holtz and Dawson Mercer Looked Great Last Night; So They’re NHL Ready, Right? Well... (msn.com)

Who is that 3C then if not one of Mercer or Zacha? It's not like people are using one game for him. He looked head and shoulders above basically everyone else in the prospect games, looked great in the scrimmages, then looked pretty decent in the first preseason game without good linemates. I agree he hasn't locked up a spot but he's a pretty damn clear frontrunner for one of what should be two open top 9 spots

Reactions: Lou is God

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Who is that 3C then if not one of Mercer or Zacha? It's not like people are using one game for him. He looked head and shoulders above basically everyone else in the prospect games, looked great in the scrimmages, then looked pretty decent in the first preseason game without good linemates. I agree he hasn't locked up a spot but he's a pretty damn clear frontrunner for one of what should be two open top 9 spots
Let's give Boqvist a chance there at 3C.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Pretending for a second Mercer and Holtz are at the same point in their respective progression arc, I feel like Holtz would be the only one "hurt" by being rushed. His game seems like a top 6 or nothing game, if you shove him down on the 3rd or 4th because he's not ready for top line minutes, he will have to learn to play a different type of game while ignoring the skills that he should be working on. Mercer is more like a Coleman, put him anywhere and he will get shit done. He seems like the type of guy who can work his way up the line up and change his game along the way. He might not have the ceiling Holtz does, but his style plays better when tossed around the line up.

I would say that Mercer has the ceiling Holtz has in every aspect except goal-scoring. Both players have excellent passing vision, better than they are given credit for. Mercer is the better prospect in pretty much any other respect -- two-way play, physicality, intangibles.

Both Holtz and Mercer are high, high-end prospects. Holtz has rare goal-scoring upside and the potential to also become a very solid all-around player in addition to this. Mercer has the ability to be an absolute beast in your top-6, whether it be as an all-situations 2-way center or a high-scoring, 200-foot-difference-making RW.

You are correct that Mercer's versatility makes it less worrisome to play him in an NHL bottom 6 role to start his professional career. In the WJC, Team Canada utilized Mercer as a 4th line RW in the 2020 tourney and then as the 4th line C in the 2021 tourney and Mercer shone both times as perhaps the best player in Canada's bottom 6. Holtz is not a bad all-around player, but he clearly needs more work in his 200-foot game and likely needs a top 6 role to thrive and develop.

Personally, I would like to see both bright young prospects start the year in the AHL, as I prefer to a more patient outlook with a top prospect's development. However, if Mercer proves he is the Devils best candidate for 3C, it is certainly the biggest hole right now in the line-up. Though the Devils seem content to play Zacha in that role, Zacha has proven to be far better on the wing than at C -- and if you take Zacha off the wing with Hischier/Bratt there is cataclysmically huge talent drop-off to the next candidates of Johnsson or Vesey or whomever... unless of course you were to play Holtz in the NHL which would allow Tatar to play on that Hischier/Bratt line.

From what I've seen so far, I'd say the optimum Devils line combinations might preclude my desire to be patient with prospects and look more like so:

L to R
Sharangovich-Hughes-Tatar
Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Vesey-Mercer-Kuokkanen
Wood-McLeod-Studenic
spares: Jankowski and Johnsson

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
So I am probably one of the few folks that want to pump the brakes on the Holtz/Mercer making the team out of camp this year. It's only been one game.

I would prefer Tatar and Rango with Hughes and the Bratt-Nico-Zacha lines start the season together. I know they are playing Pavel at center, but I think it's a mistake when he had his breakout season on wing, he needs to stay on the wing.

Alex Holtz and Dawson Mercer Looked Great Last Night; So They’re NHL Ready, Right? Well... (msn.com)
IMO I do not think it matters that much if they make it out of camp. They both will play in the NHL this year at some point. Obviously it would be a great accomplishment to make the team out of camp. If you listened to Ruff yesterday he made it clear that Holtz and Mercer will play in the NHL this year at some point and there is consideration of them making the team out of camp.

I agree with you with respect to Zacha but Ruff again commented on how much better he is skating this year. Maybe others remember Zacha being hurt at the end of the COVID shortened season (I do not remember it) but Ruff made the comment that Zach had a "tough" off season conditioning wise prior to last season which must mean he was injured and could not train. Zacha will play at wing as well this year if you believe what Ruff says at his press conferences and will play a lot.

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Cutting the cord on Comcast today with MSG having gone dark. Signed up for Fubo.TV and already feel good about it.

Unless you’re a watch the news or stocks all day type (nothing wrong with that), cutting the cord is they way to go. A few years ago I did it and played with all the streaming sports services with all the free trials. See what you like and then you’re good to go.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
wha? What makes you think that the Devils are allowed to release private medical information on someone unless it is hockey-relevent?

The Devils didn't 'release' anything on David Hale's IGA Nephropathy - he just talked about it himself.

It’s not automatically a HIPAA situation to refer to medical issues, the Leafs and Nylander did just that when medical issues were cited in his delay. And it would be foolish of both sides not to at least allude to it if it was purely a medical decision and not just a guy ‘needing help’ as Fitz said

And it is kind of hockey relevant when a guy would eventually have to miss games due to vaccination status

Last edited:

Camille the Eel

That's quite the statement.

But what does it mean? To me a dominate star(forward) is top 10(ish) in scoring...an elite player is top 30-ish... that's all completely arbitrary but it's some level of measurement...even if you want to disagree with the cutoffs do you think Jack is going to approach the upper echelon of scoring this season? Do you think he'll even be in the top 50?
Yeah I do certainly top 50 but it depends how we score as a team - but what I am saying is give him next year or the season after when he’s 22 or 23 and I think he will be in Patrick Kane or Panarin’s class as a playmaker, scorer and guy who is driving play.

Call me a cockeyed optimist. I didn’t want to get into an other argument before the season even starts about Hughes. We will very soon be able to watch him and have some concrete things to say about how he’s doing.

As it stands a statement like mine really has no substance or proof one way or the other. We just have to see what he does. So maybe I’m just Candide projecting “the best of all possible worlds”

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Sure but Devils Twitter is becoming as thin skinned as Amanda actively looking for trolls to get indignant at
That might be true, but if I had control of that twitter and and had the ability to answer to these people, I'd probably lose that position within a day.

Reactions: NJDevs26

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yeah I do certainly top 50 but it depends how we score as a team - but what I am saying is give him next year or the season after when he’s 22 or 23 and I think he will be in Patrick Kane or Panarin’s class as a playmaker, scorer and guy who is driving play.

Call me a cockeyed optimist. I didn’t want to get into an other argument before the season even starts about Hughes. We will very soon be able to watch him and have some concrete things to say about how he’s doing.
I hope you are right :)

Even slightly close would be good enough for me.

Reactions: Camille the Eel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad