Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation) - Part III [MOD warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What’s a Chase De Leo? He’s the only guy I’ve never even heard mentioned

10653772_923783237635828_1676681125818388359_n.jpg

He was part of the powerhouse Portland Winterhawk squads in the middle of last decade. Since he's from my neck of the woods in southern California, I was cheering him on. During his draft year, he reminded me of a Sergei Brylin type: Undersized but could play wing/center and chip in secondary offense. But he's probably topped out as a solid AHL guy, definitely was a fan favorite in recent seasons here in San Diego.

He's also BFFs with Devils legend Eric Comrie as they grew up playing together in SoCal.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Small sample sizes and all of that, but they weren't shooting that much above their average. Bratt-Nico-Zacha should be a good line and should be at least slightly beating the opposition in high danger chances. If you asked me how that line would do before it was put together, I'd say basically what they did, which to me doesn't suggest any sort of great chemistry. Again, as another poster said, if it makes sense on opening night to keep that line together, then sure, but other lines should not be made worse for that line to stay together.

I think they did what they did in poor conditions given Nico's injuries and Covid impacts. I don't think they are etched in stone but I'm skeptical Zacha is better as a 3c than a LW2. They are friends and will play hard and selflessly for each other. I'd expect them to have better results than last year and there is no obvious second line as I see it. It's not as if Tatar Zacha and Kuokkanen is a clear choice for a second line. I'd give the Euro buddies a chance to open the season and go from there.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Strange...Every guidance I've seen is your not vaccinated until 14 days after your last shot...Admittedly I don't pay close attention to any of this stuff unless it directly effects me, but I would think you couldn't simply "get a shot and play tomorrow"?

Reactions: Billdo

My3Sons

Sponsor

How anyone could watch a show about nothing is beyond me. It's not like the writing of that show was great. I mean, did they invent a holiday that has outlived the show and is routinely referenced by people, many of whom never even watched Seinfeld? Have numerous moments like the one above made it into everyday conversation for people years later? Is the show celebrated and its appearance on a syndication outlet considered a big deal? P,shaw. Now excuse me while I crawl under my desk to take a nap.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Strange...Every guidance I've seen is your not vaccinated until 14 days after your last shot...Admittedly I don't pay close attention to any of this stuff unless it directly effects me, but I would think you couldn't simply "get a shot and play tomorrow"?
I was hoping Mac would have wised up and gotten vaxxed by now after it was revealed to be him, this is really disappointing. I'm giving him time to get it but it's running out before my anger reaches those from earlier this week.

We don't need this distraction hanging over the team.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Both Boqvist and Foote are waiver exempt, there is zero reason for either of them not to be Utica if they aren’t in the line-up. I don’t know what you think is bad about depth vet forwards, particularly ones who PK, and at least one of these PTO forwards is very likely sticking. I would shocked if none of them did (specifically Vesey and/or Jankowski obviously),
I would have no problem with them signing 1 of the PTO’s they just haven’t been overly impressive to me.

For a player like Boqvist I think it’s much more valuable for him at this point to be the 13th forward and play 30-40 or quite possibly more NHL games and be with the big club all season than it is for him to play 70 AHL games or whatever a full season is or for him to be bounced back and forth.

I think there’s a lot of value for young guys in being around the proven vets a lot and I think the consistency for a guy like Boqvist in being there the entire time can help him figure out his game and give us a good idea of what we can expect from him going forward.

He can’t play in the NHL the way he does in the AHL. He has good skills.
He just needs to figure out how he can stick in the NHL and what he needs to do to be an impactful player. Being there the entire time really gives him the opportunity to figure that out. Rather then him being the top line guy in the AHL and then getting called up. Mentally I thinks it’s better for him to know that he has a spot on the roster and he just needs to figure out how to be an impactful player. Rather than bouncing back and forth. That puts more pressure on him and I can tell you he would rather be the 13th forward than bouncing back and forth. He’s better IMO than the PTO’s we have so let him stay with he big club and fight for his spot in the lineup. To me there’s a lot more value to that than him playing more games in the AHL.

I copied and pasted some of this from another one of my posts last night.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Sticking with the Seinfield theme:

Devils fans: So, what's it going to be? Are you going to take the vaccine?
Mackenzie: No! Never!
Devils fans: But I took the vaccine. He took the vaccine. We are all taking the vaccine! So why aren't YOU taking the vaccine?
Mackenzie: This is America! I don't have to take anything I don't wanna take!

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
How anyone could watch a show about nothing is beyond me. It's not like the writing of that show was great. I mean, did they invent a holiday that has outlived the show and is routinely referenced by people, many of whom never even watched Seinfeld? Have numerous moments like the one above made it into everyday conversation for people years later? Is the show celebrated and its appearance on a syndication outlet considered a big deal? P,shaw. Now excuse me while I crawl under my desk to take a nap.

i wonder how it got the characterization of 'a show about nothing' in the first place. i'm not sure i ever agreed with that.

but yeah, the show's contributions to pop culture were amazing. the show aired when i was in high school, and if you didn't watch it thursday you would have no idea what people were talking about on friday. you'd be asking yourself 'why is everyone saying yada yada yada today?' chappelle's show was the same for me in college- if you didn't watch it on wednesdays you would be clueless as to why everyone was talking about rick james on thursday.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Pretty sure “shot” was meant as in “chance” rather than “vaccinated”

Reactions: StevenToddIves

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
i wonder how it got the characterization of 'a show about nothing' in the first place. i'm not sure i ever agreed with that.

but yeah, the show's contributions to pop culture were amazing. the show aired when i was in high school, and if you didn't watch it thursday you would have no idea what people were talking about on friday. you'd be asking yourself 'why is everyone saying yada yada yada today?' chappelle's show was the same for me in college- if you didn't watch it on wednesdays you would be clueless as to why everyone was talking about rick james on thursday.

f*** yo couch!

My3Sons

Sponsor
Hey I need to tape the game due to a wedding tonight - I see MSG and MSG+ are both carrying it, which one is our crew?

I'm impressed you thought enough about a preseason game on your wedding day to worry about the broadcast crew. Does your spouse know how seriously you take your rooting interest in the team? It's not too late for a prenup.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So there it is...Just turned on MSG..."MADISON SQUARE GARDEN NETWORK is currently unavailable through Xfinity. for more information visit Xfinity.com/HowitWorks "

Last edited:

My3Sons

Sponsor

I know originally it was a show about how comedians developed their material which is why they opened with a short vignette from Jerry's set. I know that the mantra for the writers was no growth no learning but where it morphed I don't know.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Have the Rangers released their lineup for tonight? Hopefully they keep their acquired goons in the press box tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad