Devils 2021 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
I'm not saying he hasn't been.

And he's been in multiple roles so I imagine the matchups have ranged a fair amount. For instance when he was with Nico and Zacha, those guys probably faced some tough matchups and they were pretty dominant in their short time together.

But pointing to his corsi in tonights game was not a great argument.

Well I don't know who in the NHL qualifies as having an "Extremely high Hockey IQ" so I'm not going to argue that point as far as Bratt goes.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Since Wood has entered the league he has been our best player in terms of 5v5 shot rate.

During that time he's also 5th in 5v5 goal rate, and 4th in 5v5 point rate.

Given those stats, his speed and his hard working nature I have no issue saying he can drive a line. Especially in a bottom 6 role.

And he gets absolutely demolished defensively.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'd also say if we don't want to continue stinking Bratt producing more consistently would be a big help. We have pretty high expectations for Bratt and it's time he starts meeting those expectations.

That goes for not only Bratt, but numerous other players as well.

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
I'd also say if we don't want to continue stinking Bratt producing more consistently would be a big help. We have pretty high expectations for Bratt and it's time he starts meeting those expectations.

That goes for not only Bratt, but numerous other players as well.

Don't want to make excuses but this damn condensed schedule is not helping.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And he gets absolutely demolished defensively.
Very middle of the pack this year in most defensive metrics.

As was alluded to above, competition(as well as situations) need to be considered. Some of these #'s alone can be misleading.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
As an extension of the above, coaching needs to be considered as well.

I now the Ruff honeymoon is over, but the improvement in possession metrics is pretty startling.

Reactions: TheDuke93

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Man, if only Zacha could get better defensively, but his Goals Against 5v5 have gotten worse since the slide started in mid-February. The same with Wood, I was hoping they could change their ways but they went back to bleeding goals like last season.

I'm hopeful that we're starting to see the ship turn around and Wood and Zacha will get back on track. The post-covid swoon was some of the worst hockey I've seen the Devils play since MacLean.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Man, if only Zacha could get better defensively, but his Goals Against 5v5 have gotten worse since the slide started in mid-February. The same with Wood, I was hoping they could change their ways but they went back to bleeding goals like last season.

It's a good thing pucks have finally started going in for him because he's been largely the same player

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

I'm only just getting to the Devils stuff now around the 1:21:00 mark, but Cam lets the cat out of the bag asking about Julien getting fired and asking Langs what happened since he was a young kid and was out of the loop at the time. Cam said he remembers Mad Dog shooting pucks at him at practice or something. :laugh:

Made me happy that they brought up Tie Domi calling Scott Stevens a phony and asking Langs about him and Langs said "I don't know Tie well, I don't think he'd say that if he still had to play against him. Scott Stevens is not a phony."

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
There's some real gold in this one. Langs talking about Lou and being an intimidating man. Recalling his first year as captain, Lou tells him:

"Jamie, I just want you to know this. I never ask a question I don't know the answer to."

Lou is one of a kind. :laugh:

EDIT: He goes into the trade back to Dallas around the 1:30:30 mark

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Langenbrunner was a great player for us but the way he whined and pouted his last 1.5 years really soured me on his whole tenure here.

His feud with Lemaire was the dumbest f***ing thing ever and had pretty huge consequences for the franchise.

Yeah he was one of my favorite players at the time, but I still can’t really forget how he left the organization. Just a constant Mr. Poopy-Pants near the end...as the team captain nonetheless

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
One thing I will say in defense of Langs when you hear his explanation, and I believe he referenced something similar when he spoke to Matt and Amanda during the summer, I think everything devolved into a bit of a shock for him as to where he stood with the team.

When the team got into a cap crunch after he had the supposed dust up with Lemaire, which I agree seemed fairly petty all things considered, he was approached to waive his NTC which he refused. I can almost kind of understand where he's coming from where he said on the Cam & Strick podcast that he felt he would be a Devil until he retired, whether it was naive or not. I think everything that transpired from what occurred with Lemaire through the end of his time here just never sat well with him. When you feel personally that you hold weight and are valuable to an organization and then find out you're replaceable after all, I think anyone would take that to heart.

Now could he have been a better professional about it? Absolutely. You could tell he was pissed quite easily. But it appears everything hit him personally and he had a tough time letting it stay underneath the surface.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
the way langs acted was unforgivable IMO. i'll never forget coming home from work, getting ready to watch that night's game (i forget who it was against...the flyers maybe?) and seeing that he had been traded before the puck drop. i was so happy

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Langenbrunner was a great player for us but the way he whined and pouted his last 1.5 years really soured me on his whole tenure here.

His feud with Lemaire was the dumbest f***ing thing ever and had pretty huge consequences for the franchise.

It soured me at the time but the guy did enough for the Devils where I can let time heal that wound. Especially since it’s not like he was the only issue at that time and his career was pretty well over by that point regardless.

Unlike a Brent Sutter this is a guy I’m interested to hear talk about the Devils. Not that I expect Cam to get into the 2010-11 disaster with him but I’m sure he’s got a lot to say about the several years before that.

Seeing above I guess he did get into 2010-11, well that could be interesting.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Kyle Palmieri considering his options as trade deadline looms over extension talk with Devils

“Palmieri’s current deal includes an eight-team no-trade clause, which Bartlett said was updated in September before the start of this season. Would he consider waiving it for the right situation?

“I think so,” Palmieri said, without specifying whether he’d waive it to join a Canadian team, and undergo the mandatory two-week quarantine.”

—————-

It’s good to know Palmieri would probably waive his NTC. I assume that most teams interest in him would be amenable; although I hope the Canadian teams are options. The more bidders then the higher the price.

Also, sounds like both sides are still playing a big of hardball for an extension. Palm’s agent has his evidence that some contracts appear unaffected by the flat cap and I’m sure the Devils are saying wingers will be significantly impacted by the flat cap.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Kyle Palmieri considering his options as trade deadline looms over extension talk with Devils

“Palmieri’s current deal includes an eight-team no-trade clause, which Bartlett said was updated in September before the start of this season. Would he consider waiving it for the right situation?

“I think so,” Palmieri said, without specifying whether he’d waive it to join a Canadian team, and undergo the mandatory two-week quarantine.”

—————-

It’s good to know Palmieri would probably waive his NTC. I assume that most teams interest in him would be amenable; although I hope the Canadian teams are options. The more bidders then the higher the price.

Also, sounds like both sides are still playing a big of hardball for an extension. Palm’s agent has his evidence that some contracts appear unaffected by the flat cap and I’m sure the Devils are saying wingers will be significantly impacted by the flat cap.
If I were him I would waive to play next to McDavid or Drai for a couple months to increase my earning potential...or TORONTO for that matter

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
From the Athletic app:
Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald on Alexander Holtz: "We’d like to get our hands on him as soon as possible."
Holtz could join Sweden's national team exhibition roster when his SHL season is over, even he's unlikely to play at the worlds (like the two Jespers have done in the past). If not, Fitzgerald wants to bring him over to finish this season and start the acclimation process. (2/2)

Also says that they'd like to sign both Talvitie and Thompson once their seasons are over

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
From the Athletic app:
Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald on Alexander Holtz: "We’d like to get our hands on him as soon as possible."
Holtz could join Sweden's national team exhibition roster when his SHL season is over, even he's unlikely to play at the worlds (like the two Jespers have done in the past). If not, Fitzgerald wants to bring him over to finish this season and start the acclimation process. (2/2)

Also says that they'd like to sign both Talvitie and Thompson once their seasons are over

Now that is exciting to hear.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Hey guys, I have been dealing with medical issues and have missed most of the season. I see P.K.s scoring is up and hi corsi has been climbing as well, how has hee been looking? Also, are Jack and Ty showing improvement?

Thanks for the updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad