Devils 2021 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Palmieri is not signing that contract unless no one offers him better. Reading what his agent said, he's looking for Kreider/Kane money. A guy that wants $6-$7 million over 6 or 7 years is not signing 3x$5 without testing the market first.

Yeah that's a no go.

Edit: Of course it's all gamesmanship and I'm sure his agent can see the reality of what offers he's likely to get in the offseason.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yeah, that ship sailed when the NHL shut down last March - Palmieri is not getting Kane/Kreider money or anything close to it, both in years and in term. Maybe he has a shot at getting that kind of term if he goes to a playoff team and scores 10 goals in the playoffs or something, but that's pretty unlikely all around.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
no free agent is getting a contract longer than 4 years this offseason....I would be very shocked if otherwise tbh

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
No one is going to offer him that during free season.

no free agent is getting a contract longer than 4 years this offseason....I would be very shocked if otherwise tbh

You guys may be right, but I just don't see Palmieri signing a short term deal before testing free agency if those are the contracts that his agent are talking about.

Reactions: Guttersniped

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I might have missed it but did they ever hint at what was up with MBW or was "see how he feels" all we got?

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
From the Athletic app:
Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald on Alexander Holtz: "We’d like to get our hands on him as soon as possible."
Holtz could join Sweden's national team exhibition roster when his SHL season is over, even he's unlikely to play at the worlds (like the two Jespers have done in the past). If not, Fitzgerald wants to bring him over to finish this season and start the acclimation process. (2/2)

Also says that they'd like to sign both Talvitie and Thompson once their seasons are over

I just saw this and was coming over to post it. Very happy for Talvitie, after everything he's gone through it's great he's gonna get a pro contract, hopefully it's an ELC.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
You guys may be right, but I just don't see Palmieri signing a short term deal before testing free agency if those are the contracts that his agent are talking about.

It's way better to let him walk (even if means not redeeming any assets invested in him) for free than to sign a 4+ years contract with him. It would suck to see him in another jersey but his next contract may be a disaster if it's 5-7 years.

Reactions: My3Sons

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Unless I am forgetting someone it just seems that they traded Coleman away in the last few years. Like you said Hall is not playing well and Greene is not part of the future for the Devils. They traded Vats and Simmonds last year but I am not exactly sweating those and we "fortunately" got Vats back. Am I forgetting anyone?

Other than Coleman, all of those traded away were rentals. And with Coleman we've just had to do that as on July, 1st this year, he will have zero value and we got good prospect and a very good pick (can you imagine if Minny actually beaten Canucks?).

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Dougie Hamilton will get something like Pietrangelo's 8.8m x 7. Even Krug got a 7 year deal. Landeskog will also get at least 7 years I think. The middle class got squeezed but top players will get term I think.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

thats fair, I forgot about Dougie

should have said free agent FORWARD

I don't see Landeskog getting to UFA though so yeah

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Dougie Hamilton will get something like Pietrangelo's 8.8m x 7. Even Krug got a 7 year deal. Landeskog will also get at least 7 years I think. The middle class got squeezed but top players will get term I think.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

It's worth pointing out that Gallagher was the only forward that got that kind of term since agents and GMs are always looking for comps, but yeah, it seems like the long term deals are still out there.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018

this is from yesterday

With the uncertainty of this years draft rankings I wonder if there is going to be more draft steals in the mid rounds like the 3rd to 5th round. Everyone will be at a somewhat disadvantage with certain players not playing much this year. Should be an interesting draft to follow. I can understand wanting picks for the 2022 draft more but if this was ever the year to find some steals in the later round I would suppose this would be it.

Reactions: glenwo2

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
We are going to regret anything longer than 2 years on Palmieri. When you add in the factor that he has high value right now, I really think you need to move him.

If you want him back that badly, let him make a playoff run with another team and talk to him in July.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Wedgewood is another guy that can get us a 2nd round pick. he's pitching .920 this season and is making $700k. For a team that needs a reliable backup going into the playoffs, that's golden.

Does NJ need to keep him for the expansion draft or will Dell work for that? I'm skeptical any team offers a second for Wedge but that would be hard to turn down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad