Devils 2021 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The other options are Maltsev (no offensive talent), Zacha (can get a try after Nico comes back and he gets moved back to the wing), Wood (is not a fit there), Johnsson (not opposed to that since those 3 have worked), Bastian (maybe he could work but I don't think he has the talent to make it work), Palms (getting tried out tonight and could work). Gusev was great last year. There's nothing left to lose at this point so why not try and see if you can get him going?
Just getting back to your first sentence there, but Maltsev has no offensive talent? Going to disagree on that one too.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I think Wood can be with the team for another 5-6 years. I don’t see anyone breaking the bank for him as a UFA and with the cap staying flat or stunted for another three or four years he probably gets a good deal from NJ after next season if he plays well. I’m all for trading expiring UFAs the team doesn’t see germane for the future but I’d also like to start developing better support for Nico and Jack. It’s a balance and I understand that some don’t see Wood in that capacity.
I just think Wood is not as good as his surface level stats indicate this year and could provide for an opportunity to sell high. But its highly unlikely he gets traded I think.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Cool Bratt Hughes Palms, I think that is the line.

Like the lines overall. See if maybe that 4th line can take advantage of some matchups.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
We have 8 pending UFA’s we can make a lot of trades.

Sure that too, but other than Palmieri not gonna expect a meaningful return from any of them. If the Devils want to get more meaningful assets this deadline it's from either moving Wood or taking on a bad contract.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I just think Wood is not as good as his surface level stats indicate this year and could provide for an opportunity to sell high. But its highly unlikely he gets traded I think.
Why are we looking to trade our leading goal scorer who is 25 years old?

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Ya digging a post that says Palm's has no hockey IQ. Especially when saying Bratt has a high hockey IQ.

Not trying to knock Bratt but I have to call out those statements.

Also not so sure Hughes offensive game is "so sophisticated".

What I meant is that his hockey IQ isn't high enough to play with Hughes (but enough to play with Hischier and Zajac), not that he has no hockey IQ at all. And to me, it's pretty clear, that in terms of thinking the game (anticipation, positioning, decisions with the puck etc.) Bratt is superior to Palmieri. Palmieri is a better shooter and competes a bit harder but he has lower hockey IQ than Bratt, IMO.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Sure that too, but other than Palmieri not gonna expect a meaningful return from any of them. If the Devils want to get more meaningful assets this deadline it's from either moving Wood or taking on a bad contract.
I'd rather have Wood then whatever meaningful asset he would return that likely wouldn't be an NHL contributor for 3-4 years at best.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What I meant is that his hockey IQ isn't high enough to play with Hughes (but enough to play with Hischier and Zajac), not that he has no hockey IQ at all. And to me, it's pretty clear, that in terms of thinking the game (anticipation, positioning, decisions with the puck etc.) Bratt is superior to Palmieri. Palmieri is a better shooter and competes a bit harder but he has lower hockey IQ than Bratt, IMO.
Bratt plays a prettier offensive game no doubt, but I don't think that equates to a higher hockey IQ.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Anyways, would love to see that Bratt Hughes Palms line with a big game.

I do think this would be a fine time for Bratt to establish himself as something more then an OK mid 6 winger.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He also generates a lot more for his linemates than Palmieri does. To me, the difference in hockey IQ is visible with a naked eye.
I think you are merely giving more IQ weight to the prettier player as opposed to the grittier player.

Reactions: MartyOwns

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
I think you are merely giving more IQ weight to the prettier player as opposed to the grittier player.

Does this constitute having Hockey IQ?

(or are you going to reply to me with another smart-alec response? Emoji)

upload_2021-3-18_21-46-25-png.409634

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Does this constitute having Hockey IQ? :huh:

upload_2021-3-18_21-46-25-png.409634
One games stats playing predominantly against the Pen's weakest line?

Zajac's at the bottom of that list. Does that say something about his hockey IQ? Or the fact that he was matching up against Crosby all night?

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
One games stats playing predominantly against the Pen's weakest line?

Zajac's at the bottom of that list. Does that say something about his hockey IQ? Or the fact that he was matching up against Crosby all night?

Surprised you actually replied in a mature manner instead of what I saw in the GDT. (insert surprised Emoji)

But anyway, what would YOU consider to be Hockey IQ?

I am very curious as to your criteria of what a Hockey Player with High Hockey IQ is.

Camille the Eel

I'd rather have Wood that whatever meaningful asset he would return that likely wouldn't be an NHL contributor for 3-4 years at best.
Wood has developed surprisingly this year. In playing the net front screening role, in shooting the puck when he’s in on the goalie instead of just carrying it in too deep and getting stuffed, in his defensive positioning, and in cutting down on the bad stick penalties. Keep him. He’s maturing nicely and brings something to the club. We even need to spend to come to the cap floor, so we can probably afford him.

Reactions: LeedsMonster

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Wood has developed surprisingly this year. In playing the net front screening role, in shooting the puck when he’s in on the goalie instead of just carrying it in too deep and getting stuffed, in his defensive positioning, and in cutting down on the bad stick penalties. Keep him. He’s maturing nicely and brings something to the club. We even need to spend to come to the cap floor, so we can probably afford him.
I'd say Wood has made strides every year he has been in the league, even in previous seasons we have seen him in a bit of a shutdown role on Zajac's wing, but now we are really seeing him be a true driver of a line.

Still room to grow too.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Surprised you actually replied in a mature manner instead of what I saw in the GDT. (insert surprised Emoji)

But anyway, what would YOU consider to be Hockey IQ?

I am very curious as to your criteria of what a Hockey Player with High Hockey IQ is.
It's multifaceted imo. But a guy you can depend on in all situations to make the proper play is certainly a big part of it. I think offensive creativity is part of it too, but I think some here are too heavily weighting that aspect.

Reactions: glenwo2

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yes, Bratt has an extremely high hockey IQ. I don't even know how that's a questionable take
When I hear someone say "extremely high" I take that to mean amongst the best in the league. No offense to Bratt but I'm not going anywhere near that. Or are we saying there are multiple levels above "extremely high".

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Wait, we’re questioning Jesper Bratt’s hockey iq, but Wood is a line driver?

i cant
I'm not questioning Bratt's IQ, I'm just not going along the ride of Bratt being one of the smartest players in the league.

I mean can we debate topics, or should we just categorize our guys as some of the best players in the league and leave it at that.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Since Wood has entered the league he has been our best player in terms of 5v5 shot rate.

During that time he's also 5th in 5v5 goal rate, and 4th in 5v5 point rate.

Given those stats, his speed and his hard working nature I have no issue saying he can drive a line. Especially in a bottom 6 role.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
For what it's worth, Bratt's season CF% thus far is 58.5

Source : Jesper Bratt Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

So it's not just one game against the Pens "weakest" line.

He's been pretty good.
I'm not saying he hasn't been.

And he's been in multiple roles so I imagine the matchups have ranged a fair amount. For instance when he was with Nico and Zacha, those guys probably faced some tough matchups and they were pretty dominant in their short time together.

But pointing to his corsi in tonights game was not a great argument.

Reactions: glenwo2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad