Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Zajac seems to be one of the few old players who doesn't look like they spent the COVID break sitting on their couch either, he hasn't missed a step.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I had a strong understanding in the beginning, about Nico’s issue when they said it’s a “days-weeks” situation and the injury all ready happened weeks prior..

I don’t think it’s fair to him or the team to just throw him straight into the lineup. (Unless the wheels come off). Can he be sent to the AHL for conditioning like in past seasons?

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I had a strong understanding in the beginning, about Nico’s issue when they said it’s a “days-weeks” situation and the injury all ready happened weeks prior..

I don’t think it’s fair to him or the team to just throw him straight into the lineup. (Unless the wheels come off). Can he be sent to the AHL for conditioning like in past seasons?

AHL isn't starting until February IIRC

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I see Ruff being far better than Hynes with the kids. Playing them in important times of the game and in different situations .
Ice time as well .
This is exactly what the kids needed. Learn to play as they go. Don't have them so scared to make a mistake vecause they know they will be benched or have their ice time reduced.
Set them up to succeed. If they do make a mistake ( it will happen) , then its not a big deal. Learn from your mistake and move on.
Still hold people accountable but at the same time , do not rip into a kid for making a mistake.
Confidence is a very huge part of the game adn its good to see Ruff putting the kids in a position to gain confidence and show them that he has confidence in his players too.
I think that was a huge part of Zacha's issues. He had such highs and lows and when he was not playing with confidence , he was garbage. You can see when he is more confident with the puck , his play greatly improves. You can see him making plays that are skilled plays and doe not seem scared to try different things. I can see Hynes telling players not to be too cute with the puck and do the simple play , keep things basic in order to play the style of game Hynes wanted.
Now it seems like Ruff is lettign the kids play more of a style they want and allowing them to do things that would normally be frowned upon .
Give the kids responsibility , confidence , and have fun playing vs. having an uptight strict gameplan where everyone is scared shitless to make a mistake.
I love it so far.

Ruff and the team knows that they are not cup contenders and there is not so much pressure on everyone to make the playoffs . Coaching staff included. Hynes was coaching to keep his job , RUff is coaching to develop the kids and improving every game but not put hughe amounts of pressure on the kids where if they make a mistake , they are made to feel like crap for it . That is not a good way to try to have players improve their game. OS scared to make a mistake where thats all they think about vs. just going out and playing hard.
Agree with your post but TBF to Hynes the Devils did not have as many 22-23 year old prospects with skill like they have this year. That is the age range you expect non-top 10 picks to start playing. Fortunately Fitz/Ruff wanted to play the kids and give them a real chance, unlike a lot of posters that were constantly hoping the Devils would bring in some 30 year old "blocker" types to "mentor the kids".

Reactions: Guttersniped

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
NJ
I know Jack needs to work on his slapper but he is getting too much shit on that attempt at the end of the game. The puck was rolling and he was in a hurry to get it off in the dying seconds, thats a big whatever.

Part of it was a bit of immaturity on his end I think. About 5 seconds earlier he made a bad decision on a pass and caused us to lose offensive possession. You could see him raise his stick over his head and slam it on the ice as PK (I think) was going to retrieve it. So he was a bit pissed, rushed because time was winding down, and the puck was rolling.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

hes the same dude he has always been tbh

I haven’t seen Wood try to get cute or fancy with the puck this year. He’s playing to his strengths instead of trying to create more dimension to his game.

Wood being physical and driving to the net is the good Wood. Wood trying to be a well rounded hockey player who wants to dangle around players and doesn’t check guys for fear of penalties is the bad Wood.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I haven’t seen Wood try to get cute or fancy with the puck this year. He’s playing to his strengths instead of trying to create more dimension to his game.

Wood being physical and driving to the net is the good Wood. Wood trying to be a well rounded hockey player who wants to dangle around players and doesn’t check guys for fear of penalties is the bad Wood.
And it's a result of Ruff and the staff coaching players to their strengths and not whatever the hell Hynes was trying to do.

Reactions: glenwo2

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Not that they are similar players other than their speed, but I think Wood will always have a big variance in production year to year like Michael Grabner. He’s always gonna get a ton of breakaways. There will be years that he finishes and years that he can’t. He’s not a gifted scorer but his speed leads to opportunities.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio

Wood is basically Clarkson with speed. As long as he plays his (simple) game he's a useful asset. The moment he starts trying to show off his puck skills is the moment he becomes worse than useless.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Part of it was a bit of immaturity on his end I think. About 5 seconds earlier he made a bad decision on a pass and caused us to lose offensive possession. You could see him raise his stick over his head and slam it on the ice as PK (I think) was going to retrieve it. So he was a bit pissed, rushed because time was winding down, and the puck was rolling.
There was a wall of 3 bruin players at full speed coming at him and would have disrupted any pass attempt to the trailer. Getting the puck on net was the only option.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
And it's a result of Ruff and the staff coaching players to their strengths and not whatever the hell Hynes was trying to do.

Rare video of Hynes working on his "system":

square-peg-round-hole-gif.gif.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad